MAN anti siphon

Anyone know off top of their head what size anti siphon device ill need for an 06 MAN TGA? Just looking at buying one but want the exact size first.

80mm, but do not get the slimline fitment type, the centre of the cap is too deep for the neck

if you look at the one far right on the pic, has the TP logo on it, has the deeper neck fitment, that is the one you want, not the one next to it (slimline)

range350.jpg

Don’t bother they’ll only wreck the tank instead of just the cap to get to your diesel.

Don’t suppose you’ve got a link so I get the right one have you mate? Been looking on hgv direct website.

hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/anti … 01102.html

some on fleecebay, but, be warned, there is supposed to be a collar that fits over the grub screws when fitted, this is not there

ebay.co.uk/itm/DAF-anti-fuel … 2a28881aee

shuttlespanker:
http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/antisyphon-device-std-bayonet-80mm-p-101102.html

Thanks for that mate. Bit more expensive than I expected but ill get one ordered!

before buying make sure it’s not like a DAF if its a tractor unit …ie a 1/4 turn and the sender unit lifts out…but as said sometimes it’s a toss up …lose fuel or risk having a hole punched in the tank…though hopefully as a deterrant it works and they move on

I can’t decide with these, I do worry they’re an invitation for more damage by the determined thief and if it’s from a yard, without a driver sleeping in the cab, it’s not a long job for them to hacksaw the neck off or puncture with a bottle jack but anything that makes the theft a longer job increases the likelihood they’ll be scared off or try an easier target.

The one time I did have diesel pinched while parked up the fuel cap didn’t have a lock on and that’s been the case quite often when I’ve been out on service calls to diesel thefts.

It isn’t an easy decision …if your yard is isolated then if they want the fuel they will get it …if a tractor unit unhitched then they will undo sender unit ,so defeating the anti-syphon…Honestly what are the chances of someone catching them in your yard ?would someone know they are stealing fuel and call the police ,also how long will the police take to respond…

Once caught lads with drums one sunday as we where shutting up they where outside the fence ,but when challenged said they weren’t stealing fuel from us but where going next door to do A plant !!! As if that made it ok needless to say they got no fuel from no one that night

Its one of those things way the pros and cons and then make the decision

I used to glue mine on rather than use the grub screws. They’re mainly useful to stop the drivers nicking the diesel. They are a deterrent if on a night out as they’ll move on to the next truck or make too much noise attempting it.

If its theft from your unmanned yard, they’ll get it no matter what you do so other methods are needed.

Silver_Surfer:
They’re mainly useful to stop the drivers nicking the diesel.

This is my thought on these and I’m sure the bloke who owns TISS (one of the firms who make them) is on record in a magazine interview as saying that in his view something like 90% of derv theft is by the drivers themselves.

I wouldn’t ever have fitted one on the grounds that a new fuel cap and a hundred quids worth of diesel is always going to be a lot cheaper than a new fuel tank, a fitter’s call out charge and a lost day’s earnings. I just tried to make sure I never had much in when I parked up so that if anyone did pinch any it wouldn’t hurt too much.

Paul

Locking caps are waste of time but the antisyphon can be enough to encourage them to move on.
Befor fitting tank alarm i had locking cap removed but they gave up on the antisyphon.

repton:

Silver_Surfer:
They’re mainly useful to stop the drivers nicking the diesel.

I wouldn’t ever have fitted one on the grounds that a new fuel cap and a hundred quids worth of diesel is always going to be a lot cheaper than a new fuel tank, a fitter’s call out charge and a lost day’s earnings. I just tried to make sure I never had much in when I parked up so that if anyone did pinch any it wouldn’t hurt too much.

Paul

I agree with the fact they can just puncture the tank with a screwdriver or similar but do you think they’d want to make all that noise in the middle of the night when someone is asleep in it? I just think its a deterrent to the opportunist thieves who operate in laybys and ind ests.

I’m also the same as you Paul and try leave as little diesel as possible in when overnighting but sometimes it’s unavoidable. Same goes for when I’m parked in the yard over the weekend.

Matt

xfmatt:
I agree with the fact they can just puncture the tank with a screwdriver or similar but do you think they’d want to make all that noise in the middle of the night when someone is asleep in it? I just think its a deterrent to the opportunist thieves who operate in laybys and ind ests.

Plenty of people have posted on here who have had just that happen, at the end of the day if there’s 3 of them they know however much noise they make that it would be a foolish driver who tried to do anything to stop them…

Paul

bazstan009:
Locking caps are waste of time but the antisyphon can be enough to encourage them to move on.
Befor fitting tank alarm i had locking cap removed but they gave up on the antisyphon.

We don’t bother locking the cap anymore, but got the proper DAF anti-syphon in the tank. Wasn’t the cheapest but you can tell the difference in quality as soon as you look at it.

dew:

bazstan009:

We don’t bother locking the cap anymore, but got the proper DAF anti-syphon in the tank. Wasn’t the cheapest but you can tell the difference in quality as soon as you look at it.

the proper DAF anti siphon is made by either Tiss or TP, but they just charge a ■■■■ load more for it :wink:

shuttlespanker:

dew:

bazstan009:

the proper DAF anti siphon is made by either Tiss or TP, but they just charge a [zb] load more for it :wink:

that’s cleared that up then!
on another point i have in the past seen vosa ask for the removal of these anti siphon devices at roadside checks as they were unable to get the pipe in the tank to get a sample of fuel for testing, as the sender unit was also covered over the anti siphon had to be removed by force or the truck would have to stay put!

one of mine was pulled in to Perry Bar check point a while ago, they wanted to test the diesel, but the tank had got the anti siphon device fitted, the VOSA man didn’t know what it was or what it did

when the driver explained to the VOSA man what it was and how it worked, and also where he always fuelled up, he was told to go on his way

FFS

It’s the people driving their transit vans round on red who’re the reason the anti-syphon devices are there. :unamused:

Not saying it hasn’t happened but on what basis could vosa (although might in fact be HMRC operating from the same checkpoint) impound the vehicle? It’s not like the driver’s refusing to let them take a sample, what next you have to bring your own squeezy clear bottle and pipe?