Anti fuel theft device question

My normal truck is in for service in the morning so was going to get them to put on those anti fuel theft device onto the diesel tanks.

My question is when you stopped on the road by customs or the like and they want to dip the tank for green diesel how will they dip the tank?

Tough let them worry about that, your more likely to get your diesel pinched than a roadside check.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Legally, it’s your duty to provide a sample if required: like a breath test.

In fact, most of those devices can be defeated by a very thin tube, which is what they use to extract a roadside sample.

The thin tube is impractical for theft, because it would take hours to pump a tank out with.

Watch out though, if someone really wants your diesel they may rip the sender out of the tank, or even spike it, in which case you’ll wish they’d just taken the filler cap off and syphoned it.

I had one of those anti siphon necks fitted to a truck a few back. They are a fantastic idea but out in the real world a waste of time in my opinion.

Firstly it take forever to fill the tank because the reduced flow often triggers the gun cut off on any pump with a decent flow rate.

Secondly as pointed out it might deter the opportunist thief looking for a few litres but anybody looking for the lot will just rip out the sender or puncture the tank to get at their bounty. This will cause you considerable expense both in repairs and lost time. It happened in our yard a few years back. With the older trucks it was just a case of refilling the tank and putting the cap back on. Three newer trucks with the anti syphon necks all lost a days work while new Senders and wiring we’re sourced and fitted.

As for HMRC dipping the tank, it’s not a problem as they use a very thin pipe to draw their sample and have no trouble with these anti siphon necks.

Cheers
Neilf

Was thinking it not 100% fool proof a lad who wants diesel from a tank will get it one way or another.
I bring the truck home with me when not working so just want to cover myself, never had a lad tamper with it but you never know

Keyway in Gloucester have covers that drop down with the body and cover the fuel tank on their tippers.

To fill the truck up, you have to tip the body enough to get the nozzle in.

Shame this idea will only work on tippers.

I’d have thought that it wouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to have an electronic alarm on the tank. If the vehicle is stopped and the engine is off and the fuel level drops suddenly then it would sound a loud siren, flash the lights on and off, have a recorded voice shout “Fuel theft in progress” and activate a recording camera to show the face of the thief as all hell breaks lose around him.

You could even use a GPS to get the vehicle’s position and call 999.

GasGas:
I’d have thought that it wouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to have an electronic alarm on the tank. If the vehicle is stopped and the engine is off and the fuel level drops suddenly then it would sound a loud siren, flash the lights on and off, have a recorded voice shout “Fuel theft in progress” and activate a recording camera to show the face of the thief as all hell breaks lose around him.

You could even use a GPS to get the vehicle’s position and call 999.

There is already a fuel tank alarm on the market, and it wouldn’t be hard for the truck manufacturers to incorporate it into the trucks electronics. But they don’t offer the option. http://www.vehicle-fuel-theft-alarm.co.uk/index.php

Not forgetting that when filling up they tend to spray diesel everywhere…well the one on my scania does! :imp: no matter how far you stick the nozzle in.

Essexboy:
Not forgetting that when filling up they tend to spray diesel everywhere…well the one on my scania does! :imp: no matter how far you stick the nozzle in.

Your right there but what i do is click it on low then while it’s slowly filling up i do the ad-blue and maybe sweep the footwell out or something and as soon as it clicks off that’s it normally just over 3/4 full.

GasGas:
Legally, it’s your duty to provide a sample if required: like a breath test.

In fact, most of those devices can be defeated by a very thin tube, which is what they use to extract a roadside sample.

The thin tube is impractical for theft, because it would take hours to pump a tank out with.

Watch out though, if someone really wants your diesel they may rip the sender out of the tank, or even spike it, in which case you’ll wish they’d just taken the filler cap off and syphoned it.

Its very easy to remove those anti syphon caps from the filler neck, with or without the fuel cap on.
So long as someone has the right shaped tool with a long enough handle, it would take around 3-5 seconds to rip it out.
As previously stated, they`re more of an hindrance than an aid

The best anti fuel-theft device would be a police force…sorry…“service” that took the offence more seriously.

everybody prattles on about the tank getting punctured but does anyone have any experience of this or is it a drivers myth. :neutral_face:

jessicas dad:
everybody prattles on about the tank getting punctured but does anyone have any experience of this or is it a drivers myth. :neutral_face:

Only ever seen it done once. Local owner driver had an early FH 6x2 fitted with big square tanks totalling 1000litres. Had those anti siphon necks and even covers for the senders. Came into his yard early one morning to find a 2" hole punched into the top of both tanks and around 800l missing. He told me that he only got away with having the tanks patched because the holes were in the top. Had they have punched through the sides it would have been 2 new tanks.

I have however seen numerous tanks sitting in the scrap bins at dealers where other trucks have suffered the same fate.

Cheers
Neilf

Its all about reducing the odds that it is your tank that gets done, so any thing that looks like it will slow the scum down is in my mind a good idea.

bazstan009:
Its all about reducing the odds that it is your tank that gets done, so any thing that looks like it will slow the scum down is in my mind a good idea.

exactly what i think

Thats my thoughts as well. When I park up at I do my best to bury my tank in some bushes.

Some drivers don’t help them selves really, there’s been a few on here, filled up then parked up, and then moaning about having there tanks drained over night!
So, some advice? Fill up in the morning!

If your boss has fuel storage tanks in the yard add diesel dye to it to colour it.A five litre can is expensive but the dye goes a long way.If stolen and the road the police knows who the fuel belongs to.Many colours to choose from so dont have the same one as Jie Bloggs ltd up the road.

weeto:
Some drivers don’t help them selves really, there’s been a few on here, filled up then parked up, and then moaning about having there tanks drained over night!
So, some advice? Fill up in the morning!

YES to this! one firm i was recently out for told me to bring the truck back to their yard as empty as possible, because they had the diesel fairies in regular as clockwork over the weekend!

toby1234abc:
If your boss has fuel storage tanks in the yard add diesel dye to it to colour it.A five litre can is expensive but the dye goes a long way.If stolen and the road the police knows who the fuel belongs to.Many colours to choose from so dont have the same one as Jie Bloggs ltd up the road.

the bus company i last worked for did this, their own diesel was bright yellow!

B…

Farmers electric fencer on the tank or connect to the 240 v mains.That will give the tea leaves a shock.