International O Licence

While sending some info to a member of Trucknet, I may have misled him and put something in a PM that is now wrong :confused:

I was led to believe that if you were pulling ferry trailers or tilts from a UK port you needed a standard international Licence.

Am I mistaken or has the rule been changed.

I found this link from the IR that says it is permittedā€¦

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/bens/ben02_app3.htm

Sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just reading this earleir today:

# Standard National - This allows you to carry your own goods in Great Britain and to carry goods for other people for hire or reward in Great Britain. Even if you carry other peopleā€™s goods only occasionally, you must have a Standard National Licence. A Standard National Licence allows you to haul loaded trailers to or from ports within great Britain as part of an international journey, as long as your vehicle does not leave Great Britain.

Iā€™d say that confirms your correction as above.

The above paragraph is taken from this link http://www.ownerdrivers.org.uk/

Somebody on here will be looking and thinking ā€œI recognise that!!ā€. Eh?? LOL

Wheel Nut:
I was led to believe that if you were pulling ferry trailers or tilts from a UK port you needed a standard international Licence.

from a uk port to a uk destination would only need a Standard National O licence - you would need CMR though

aint it funny how many places dont recognise cmr s in this country

Collecting / returning loaded or empty trailers (remember Booth vs DPP defined an empty semi-trailer as a load, as it imparts a burden on the drawing vehicle) from UK ports you only require a Standard National op licence. However, your vehicle may not leave the UK. The really confusing one is that a company operating on a Restricted licence (carrying their own goods) can run abroad quite legally provided they carry only their own goods and do not carry out any hire or reward work.
Be really careful with CMR insurance. The whole journey will be under the CMR limits (much higher than FTA/RHA limits), no matter what your ā€˜terms of businessā€™ say. I know a lot of hauliers who have got badly caught out by a CMR insurance claim