O Licences National and International

What is the point in still having National and International O Licences

Surely now that we are fully paid up members of the EU I cant see why a National licence doesnt allow you to do work to and from EU countries and an International licence should only be needed if you are going to places outside the EU…theres hardly any difference nowadays from taking a truck to Scotland or Wales or into France or Germany etc

We are all supposed to be part of this big Eurostate so why do you need a green disc in your windscreen to go across the channel.
Also how do you get on pulling tilts and fridges etc through UK ports as technically these are on an International journey so would need an International O Licence …and do Dutch,French,German hauliers etc have 2 different forms of O Licence.

What do you all think :slight_smile:

Well my guess is that the licence required to be an operator should really be an International one, but to make things easier/cheaper for operators just to work in the UK, there is a cut-down version, i.e., the Standard National.

I’m not sure about other countries systems, so can’t comment.

my son has this week taken his national CPC, lets hope he has passed it, the instructor told him to hold off on going for the international if he passes the national, as they are talking about combining both in the next year or so.

Smart Mart:
Well my guess is that the licence required to be an operator should really be an International one, but to make things easier/cheaper for operators just to work in the UK, there is a cut-down version, i.e., the Standard National.

it’s not very cut down, they changed the rules on financial standing a couple of years ago - they’re the same for both

Denis F:

Smart Mart:

it’s not very cut down, they changed the rules on financial standing a couple of years ago - they’re the same for both

so it should be with all the other crap we have to put up with, not to mention being taxed everywhere we go :unamused: :wink:

tc trans:
my son has this week taken his national CPC, lets hope he has passed it, the instructor told him to hold off on going for the international if he passes the national, as they are talking about combining both in the next year or so.

Hi tc trans, yes there’s talk of combining the Nat and Int CPCs into one, but it’s some distance over the horizon just yet. :wink:

ita all a load of crap.
i hold national and internatinal cpc.
the money that can be earned fron haulage now.
its not worth going through all the hassle.
vosa/insurance…shipping companies wanting nearly free transport services.
my certs are parked up.
not worth the paper they are written on.

hi all
looking at doing my freight national cpc on 5th dec (home study)
can anyone tell me where i can find a list of exam centres as ive been all over ocrs website but cant find any listing.

any relevant comments more than welcome

many thanks

Blissy:
Also how do you get on pulling tilts and fridges etc through UK ports as technically these are on an International journey so would need an International O Licence …and do Dutch,French,German hauliers etc have 2 different forms of O Licence.

That used to be the case, or at least that is what I was led to believe. The old ministry wheeltappers use to take a lot of notice about the type of disc and would climb on the bumpers to check them.

Although this could also be on page one of a very thick book of drivers myths that Neil is collecting.