which O Licence

just a hypothetical question really…

i have a standard national operators licence, if i wanted to take my truck (tractor unit only) into Europe for a truck show, the standard national licence would be ok,

but, if i was to put a low loader trailer on the back and carry a show truck that i have to the same show in Europe, not for hire or reward, purely for the show, what licence would i need?

as i said, just hypothetical :smiley:

your help would be appreciated :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

i dont think you would hanky spanky since its not for hire/reward, as long as you can prove it as you know what they can be like over the pond for correct paperwork etc insurance may be a little funny with std nat lic,for euro cover but you seem to have a decent broker anyway they may be able to sort green card etc for none comercial use etc, but sure you should be fine with the blue disc in the window :laughing: :laughing: or get a green felt tip and have a colour in :wink: :wink:, may the crusie liner “big blue” be making a trip on a low loader :exclamation:

No one in Europe is interested in the blue or green disc, not once you get past the queue for duty free anyway, the enforcers will only ask for 3 things, CMR, Authorisation and Tachograph record, depending on how you treat them and explain it is for recreation or private pleasure then you should be on your way.

However, there is a “but”. If you only had a restricted o licence there is a note allowing you to drive on a national or international journey as long as the carried goods are not for hire or reward, this seems to be missing on a Standard National licence.

Depending on the trip, a green card is no longer necessary and provided you have told your insurance company then you are covered. If the company want to charge extra for a green card, tell them to swivel.

The countries that don’t need a Green Card are:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

truck show :open_mouth: thought you owned daf’s :laughing:

psv8:
truck show :open_mouth: thought you owned daf’s :laughing:

i do, one of which is a one off :sunglasses:

but, it would be that one that is pulling the low loader trailer for another show truck

oh well think the big daf deserves a proper interior to finish it off

might be able to sort it out if have stuff out of this job left spare

the front of A & D says

A Restricted (R) licence authorises the use of a goods vehicle on public roads in Great Britain for the carriage of the licence holder’s own goods in the course of his trade or business. The licence holder cannot carry goods for other people for hire or reward;

A Standard National (S/N) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward, on public roads in Great Britain. He can also carry his own goods on journeys abroad;

A Standard International (S/I) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward. These activities can be undertaken both in Great Britain and on international journeys.

so as far as i can see you can take your own truck abroad on a SN licence, but as Wheelnut said it will help if you’ve got something in writing to show the authorities :wink:

Denis F:
the front of A & D says

A Restricted (R) licence authorises the use of a goods vehicle on public roads in Great Britain for the carriage of the licence holder’s own goods in the course of his trade or business. The licence holder cannot carry goods for other people for hire or reward;

A Standard National (S/N) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward, on public roads in Great Britain. He can also carry his own goods on journeys abroad;

A Standard International (S/I) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward. These activities can be undertaken both in Great Britain and on international journeys.

so as far as i can see you can take your own truck abroad on a SN licence, but as Wheelnut said it will help if you’ve got something in writing to show the authorities :wink:

Cheers Denis

thanks for that :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i’ll get you a pint at the next TNUK Do :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:smiley: :smiley:

shuttlespanker:
just a hypothetical question really…

i have a standard national operators licence, if i wanted to take my truck (tractor unit only) into Europe for a truck show, the standard national licence would be ok,

but, if i was to put a low loader trailer on the back and carry a show truck that i have to the same show in Europe, not for hire or reward, purely for the show, what licence would i need?

as i said, just hypothetical :smiley:

your help would be appreciated :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Speaking of an entirely imaginary case, … in theory…

There doesn’t seem to be any notion of ‘hire-and-reward,’ nor does it seem to fit the normal definition of ‘own goods.’
Normally, ‘own goods’ is something of your own that you’re carrying for the purpose of collecting/delivering it in the course of a trade or business, but that doesn’t quite seem to fit our theoretical case either.

Usually, it’s the status of the goods and the purpose of the journey that determine which (if any) ‘O’ licence is necessary. (Leaving aside the GVW of the vehicle.) The goods being carried aren’t being bought/sold/used and the owner isn’t likely to be charging himself for the haulage, so it seems to be a very interesting question, in theory. :grimacing:

What Denis posted is perfectly clear, but without a certified copy blue Community Authorisation, which you won’t have, a tug in France or Belgium (presuming you’re heading that way) would spell grief I’m sure

jj72:
What Denis posted is perfectly clear, but without a certified copy blue Community Authorisation, which you won’t have, a tug in France or Belgium (presuming you’re heading that way) would spell grief I’m sure

Very good point jj72, what about going half`s ish with an O/D or flash fleet operator, they pull your trailer with your kit on board, they get to where your going, you get there also without the hassle, and, you share the cost, VERY open book :bulb:

Just a thought…

Just to ■■■■ on your fire :grimacing: if you put a high cab unit on a standard step low loader, you’ll be way over the 4m allowable in most of europe without permits :stuck_out_tongue:

Might be worth a pm to Tramper, he did or was going to do similar.

Big Joe:
Just to ■■■■ on your fire :grimacing: if you put a high cab unit on a standard step low loader, you’ll be way over the 4m allowable in most of europe without permits :stuck_out_tongue:

Let the tyres down , take the wheels off , just send them the photo`s, save the planet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Big Joe:

i see your point, and it is a valid one too, but, it would be the high cabbed unit pulling the trailer and a low cabbed unit on the trailer