First Euro trip advice

Hi guys, looks like I’ll be shipping out to France in the rigid next week (finally!! :grimacing: ).
Although I’ve worked on the continent before it has all been internally.
The firm I work for has never sent anything abroad before and it is all own product goods, one drop non hazardous. I’ve read the stickys and, as far as I can make out, the company will need to get the following so I can be legal;
Standard International Operators license,
Community authorisation copy,
CMR,
V5 or VE103,
insurance,
employee form
authorisation to drive the vehicle letter.

Is this all the documentation I need and is it all necessary for what will probably be a one off trip?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice,
Andrew

Valid Passport
Fuel cards or Cash for Peages and Tolls plus PIN
You may have included it, but a contract of employment was occasionally necessary

Take your driving licence… have a good trip!

Cheers boys, does it all still apply even though it’s only a 7.5tonner?

Andy Rich:
Cheers boys, does it all still apply even though it’s only a 7.5tonner?

Yep, even in a car on holiday it is worth having it all, except the CMR and community authorisation obviously.

if it is all the companies own products and if you backload then that load is only for the company then you do not need an international o license. you would only need a restricted license.

skids:
if it is all the companies own products and if you backload then that load is only for the company then you do not need an international o license. you would only need a restricted license.

Quite correct… However. I am not sure what the French Customs will make of that when they pull you for a routine check and the first request is normally, disc, authorisation, CMR even when empty. A letter from VOSA would probably help the situation. Generally community authorisations are issued automatically with a green operators disc. I wait for the correct answer with interest.

A Restricted licence authorises the use of a goods vehicle on public roads in Great Britain for the carriage of the licence holder’s own goods in the course of their trade or business, both nationally and internationally. There is not presently a requirement for such an operator to employ a Certificate of Professional Competence (Operator CPC) holder. The licence holder cannot carry goods for other people for hire or reward;

Just stick to the speed limits, and you should be ok. I’m off there myself in an hour . Plymouth-Dover and off through Calais to Lyon in a Sprinter…Nice!!!

Anybody recommend somewhere decent where I can get a good meal and somewhere to park up for the night on the Nationals between Calais and Caen?

Looks like I’ll be going out on the train on friday and back on sunday. Saturday is a public holiday in france for VE Day but I’ll only be in a 7.5tonner so can avoid the ban :sunglasses:.

Andy Rich:
Anybody recommend somewhere decent where I can get a good meal and somewhere to park up for the night on the Nationals between Calais and Caen?

Looks like I’ll be going out on the train on friday and back on sunday. Saturday is a public holiday in france for VE Day but I’ll only be in a 7.5tonner so can avoid the ban :sunglasses:.

Tell me more about this trip.
Why are going from South Wales to Dover & back to Normandy?
Try Poole to Cherbourg, 4 hrs from S Wales. Then a couple of hours to Caen region.
You could ship friday morning into Cherbourg,tip & be back in Cherbourg by the evening.
There’s a great resteraunt at the top of Cherbourg hill,by the roundabout.
If you have to ship back thro’ Calais stop off at Ouistreham,Le Coin de port is open on saturday.
I would’nt wish the food on a dog tho’.The Marine is better & Ludo speaks English & Christopher (a barman) is.
Then you can do the grand tour back to Calais & South Wales.
Because on saturday there will be few (if any) restaurants open on a holiday between Caen & Calais.

Make sure you’ve got 28 days records either on discs or digicard.

If you can’t do this take a holiday letter from your employer to prove you ve not been working on days that you haven’t got records for.

DaveL:
Tell me more about this trip.
Why are going from South Wales to Dover & back to Normandy?
Try Poole to Cherbourg, 4 hrs from S Wales. Then a couple of hours to Caen region.
You could ship friday morning into Cherbourg,tip & be back in Cherbourg by the evening.
There’s a great resteraunt at the top of Cherbourg hill,by the roundabout.
If you have to ship back thro’ Calais stop off at Ouistreham,Le Coin de port is open on saturday.
I would’nt wish the food on a dog tho’.The Marine is better & Ludo speaks English & Christopher (a barman) is.
Then you can do the grand tour back to Calais & South Wales.
Because on saturday there will be few (if any) restaurants open on a holiday between Caen & Calais.

Yep, it’s a bit of an a**e about face way of doing it and I’m trying to persuade them to arrange for me to ship out from somewhere on the South coast. I spent some time living in La Rochelle and always used Portsmouth-St.Malo. I think they want me to tip Maidstone on the way down to the tunnel but it still seems an awful long way round just to save on the cost of the boat. Any idea how much more expensive the boat is as opposed to the train?

With regards to the 28days records, I’ve been driving the van a lot lately so there are plenty of ‘gaps’ on my digi card. Is there any way of writing them all down to show what I’ve been doing or is it better to get a letter saying that I only work part-time :wink:?

My boss gives me a letter saying “Harry Monk did not drive or do other duties on the 2nd, 8th, 9th, 16th and between 22nd and 27th April” etc

Harry Monk:
My boss gives me a letter saying “Harry Monk did not drive or do other duties on the 2nd, 8th, 9th, 16th and between 22nd and 27th April” etc

That’s what I was thinking of Harry :smiley:

Andy,if you’re are stopping in Ouistreham next weekend,send me a PM.
You could get from here to Calais then ship to Dover & onto Maidstone in a day.
I used to night out in Mainstone in the 90’s,but it will have changed since then.
But it had good pubs. :smiley: .If you see a young lad that looks like me,you’ve never met me.

I work out of Exeter. To go to Portugal tomorrow…I have to go Dover-Calais, instead of Plymouth- Santander! Work that out!! :open_mouth:

bigvern1:
I work out of Exeter. To go to Portugal tomorrow…I have to go Dover-Calais, instead of Plymouth- Santander! Work that out!! :open_mouth:

Is my TM moonlighting at your place by any chance? :laughing:

bigvern1:

That makes no sense to me at all. Even when we do Cambridge- Madrid we ship south coast rather than the Channel. Do you know what the logic of your TM is? Have you suggested south coast?

Anybody on the night boat Portsmouth-Caen tomorrow(Friday) night?

Sense prevailed and I got my way in the end :sunglasses: Shipping out tomorrow night, tipping near Coutances on Saturday and back on Saturday night.

If anybody’s about I’ll be in the white, Welsh 7.5t curtainside eurocargo :smiley:

Andy Rich:
Anybody on the night boat Portsmouth-Caen tomorrow(Friday) night?

Sense prevailed and I got my way in the end :sunglasses: Shipping out tomorrow night, tipping near Coutances on Saturday and back on Saturday night.

If anybody’s about I’ll be in the white, Welsh 7.5t curtainside eurocargo :smiley:

will you get tipped seeing as saturday is a bank holiday?