Scania R470 Information Needed

Hello Everyone,

Right i am thinking of buying a 2006 R470 Scania, it’s done about 800k on a euro 3 engine, i have been told that the turbo could be the down fall as they was fitted with a compound unit which could be trouble, having looked on the internet, it’s 50/50, can the turbo be upgraded ?

Is there any way of finding out the history of the unit or of any unit ?

Any help welcome :sunglasses:

Ghost01:
Hello Everyone,

Right i am thinking of buying a 2006 R470 Scania, it’s done about 800k on a euro 3 engine, i have been told that the turbo could be the down fall as they was fitted with a compound unit which could be trouble, having looked on the internet, it’s 50/50, can the turbo be upgraded ?

Is there any way of finding out the history of the unit or of any unit ?

Any help welcome :sunglasses:

Would look for a R480 or R500 V8 rather than the R470.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

[/quote]
Would look for a R480 or R500 V8 rather than the R470.
[/quote]
Morning - I do understand spending more now could save in the future, but are they that bad ?

The only info I know about R470 T compound is bulker haulier up road has one and 3 V8s.
The R470 has given right bit of bother but V8s go like Swiss Watches!!!

There has to be a reason they sold in relatively small numbers for a Scania.[emoji52]

Maybe some one else will pop along with more info, was the T Compound fitted to some 420’s as well ?

Ghost01:
Maybe some one else will pop along with more info, was the T Compound fitted to some 420’s as well ?

Yes it was,
the telling sign is the 0 in 470/420 is a red dot.[emoji6]

I’ve had 3 turbo compound Scania’s over the years and never had any problems with them whatsoever, I have an 08 R480 that has 1,260,000K and still on the original turbo’s and clutch.
The thing to check before you agree to buy the 470 is the service history, make sure it has had regular oil and fuel filter changes, the turbo compound’s are quite a dirty engine and benefit greatly from fresh oil and filters, fuel filter changes are key as they recirculate unused fuel back into the diesel tank, finally make sure you hear the truck started from cold, if the second turbo is worn you will hear it rattle, a sure sign of spindle wear, if it has been started and warmed up before you get a chance then check the oil pressure is at least 2 bar at warm tick over.

Big Truck:

Ghost01:

Yes it was,
the telling sign is the 0 in 470/420 is a red dot.[emoji6]

The red dot 420s shared the shame high pressure fuel injection system as the 470s, which was a joint venture between ■■■■■■■ and Scania, but only the 470 had turbocompounding. I covered the launch of the 470 for TRUCK magazine and I remember it quite well, which is no mean feat as it was 16yrs ago now!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The problem the 470 suffered from was that the oil spinner wasn’t cleaned at service and this caused turbo failure id check that before buying. Had one from new was a great truck