SCANIA R480

Hi all
i just wondered if theres anybody on here that operates a r480 and what sort of fuel figures they are getting ? im a scania man through and through and wouldnt consider running any other truck but i must say im very dissapointed with this one. cheers mike

Crap is the best way to describe the 420 is alot better on fuel and the v8 500 better again
510 daf on same work good 1mpg to 2mpg better and evenb a 440 man doing good 1mpg more
if manual gearbox would think would be better
but to some up Daf all day and alot better and cheaper to buy

DS2604:
Crap is the best way to describe the 420 is alot better on fuel and the v8 500 better again
510 daf on same work good 1mpg to 2mpg better and evenb a 440 man doing good 1mpg more
if manual gearbox would think would be better
but to some up Daf all day and alot better and cheaper to buy

each to there own chap but yeh im with you on the 480 thanks anyway

Raked through a few threads on here trying to find out about turbo compounding before and a few people have said that with the 124 470 they had it right, but something not quite right with the 480 in axle ratio/gearbox ratios/rpm leading to worse mpg. Maybe a remap of the ecu could help.

Speak to some widdowsons drivers, they’ve got loads of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NB12:
Raked through a few threads on here trying to find out about turbo compounding before and a few people have said that with the 124 470 they had it right, but something not quite right with the 480 in axle ratio/gearbox ratios/rpm leading to worse mpg. Maybe a remap of the ecu could help.

Ring John at scaniatune he would put you right!!!

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p … hilit=r470

This might help.

I drove an r480 for 2 years 07 plate. Doing trips to Toulouse so motorway all the way, running down with 5ton driving super sensible I was lucky to get 8.5mpg then coming back up with 3-4 wine collections fully frieghted to 40ton lucky to see 7mpg.

A mate runs a v8 r500 Glasgow-London weekly, freighted at 40-44t usually in both directions. He had it tuned a while back and now reckons it pulls a lot better and he’s averaging 9mpg. Sounds pretty good to me, I’d be happy if it was mine.

I know several people who have the R480. They’re both very unhappy with the fuel figures & regret choosing the 480 over their intended 420.

BB

HI Guys
thanks for the info much appreciated, my truck has never reached 8mpg apart from the odd time with an empty flat on, high 3.08 to one rear axle ratio doesnt help along with an overdrive gearbox, ive had the ecu remapped made no difference, i honestly believe they got it wrong with this one, live and learn as they say.
many thanks
mike

mike
i know what you mean with the 480 done a few loads of hangin meat to south france the worst scania i ever drove gutsy under powerd lucky for me it was some one elses lol.i sold my own trucks last year all v8 580s but i had a r420 aswell to be fare it pulled like train gettin 9 /10 with fridge on hangin light loads 10+ i had the r580 to scania tune (its on there advert silver r580)it came back twice the truck it was best £500 i ever spent that was 8.5 to 9.5 on hangin .i dont know if scanitune can get those 480 to go but worth a try m8 gud luk

Hi,

I know what john would say about them R 480,s… Don,t bother…

Lrm

My 4x2 is getting around 8mpg fully loaded 95% of the time tramping between sweden and portugal. I blame it on the stupid EGR, the reason that the 124-470 was much more economical was probably the fact that they were euro 3 and it used oxygen to burn diesel, not exhaust fumes. Euro 3 R420 will do the same job at around 10mpg. Will be time to replace it soon, if the new one will be a scania, then definitely a v8, the new euro 5 egr straight six is a disaster, a friend has one, changed the cylinder linings at 250tkm and the high-pressure fuel pump (no pump-injectors on them) seized up a few weeks ago at about 400tkm, hasn’t had a problem free month with it from the beginning.

Can the EGR not be blanked off?. These EGR valves seem to fail a lot on transits and on the transit forum everone says that blanking it off is one of the best things you can do for them.

that would bring up the error for emissions and the ECU goes into limp-home mode (50% power or smth similar) after 50 workhours with the error active. there probably are people who know how to get around this but not in my neck of the woods. Im going to get it turned up to 540 in january, maybe those guys can help me with the egr as well, not holding my breath though

hi guys, yeh egr can be blanked off no problem without causing any faults, blank it off and fire that trumpet straight in the bin, what a waste of time.
cheers mike p

swinny580:
mike
i know what you mean with the 480 done a few loads of hangin meat to south france the worst scania i ever drove gutsy under powerd lucky for me it was some one elses lol.i sold my own trucks last year all v8 580s but i had a r420 aswell to be fare it pulled like train gettin 9 /10 with fridge on hangin light loads 10+ i had the r580 to scania tune (its on there advert silver r580)it came back twice the truck it was best £500 i ever spent that was 8.5 to 9.5 on hangin .i dont know if scanitune can get those 480 to go but worth a try m8 gud luk

hi swinny yeh i know your truck mate, all of mine have been tuned up its one of the first jobs i get done after painting servicing bling etc you know how it is, i think ive just got a bad one with this 480 as we have done everything with it.
cheers mate mike

I drive a 2008 R480 its pretty crap on fuel, most weeks it about 7ish, thats running 40-44t, last week i got 8.1 average but had lite trailers most of the week. Boss got another 480 same age tuned and made no difference… that 1 got sold a couple of weeks ago and i dont think mine will be there much longer…