Scania V8 R500

Hi,to anyone!!

Despite,I’m on site most of ythe days,I’m not posting to often. I’m looking for some infos on Scania R500 V8.

It’s a 2007,euro5 engine, ad blue,manual, retarder,LHD,from Germany,with a service book, but the “nasty” part is got 940.000 kms on a clock. To be used on a continental work. Never owed one,a Scania,so I’m looking for some help!

I’m thinking seriously,to buy it,it’s in a good shape,not been abused,from what I’ve seen. You never know!!!

All the best in the world!! And,be Safe on a roads!

One thing to think the truck aint stood still for long so carnt be that bad, kms wise its a bit high but that shouldnt bother the v engine if been looked after right. they cam have a bit of trouble with the bell housings working loose and the timing gears/oil pump shearing??, ,repair/ref fit bellhousing is around £1000. “not scania dealers”… basically check re check and tripple check for oil leaks round the top part of the bell housing.
change the bottom end IE shells/big ends etc and you will have a good old girl for many years after shells/big ends etc from scania inc gaskets is around £350 ish, plus fitting on top…
Good oil changes and bobs ya uncle…
one last thing you def sure its euro 5 ■■

globby 480:

That’s what I was thinking, I didn’t think Scania did a V8 euro 5 in 2007?

Good luck anyway, if it’s been well looked after I wouldn’t be too worried about the KM’s.

Ross.

bigr250:

globby 480:

That’s what I was thinking, I didn’t think Scania did a V8 euro 5 in 2007?

Even if they didn’t in the UK at the time they might have in Germany. Engines are often rolled out in different countries at different times.

Paul

Morning,Guys!

Yes,it’s a Euro 5,is reg in 12.06,but I think the German’s they did “rush it” with the Euro 5,maybe cause the lkw maut. I’ve got from the same dealer a MAN Tga,a old shape, is reg in 06.07, 620,000 KMS, and is as well Euro 5,when over here they been on Euro 4,even in 2009,on a Man. I need to say is a sound motor,the Man,I have it for a year,and is trouble free,so far!! I’ve done oils and filters at R&S workshop in High Wycombe,and that was everything I done to him. the Scania is at: www.stengelnutzfahrzeuge.de

Safe roads,to everyone!!!

ro trucker:
Hi,to anyone!!

Despite,I’m on site most of ythe days,I’m not posting to often. I’m looking for some infos on Scania R500 V8.

It’s a 2007,euro5 engine, ad blue,manual, retarder,LHD,from Germany,with a service book, but the “nasty” part is got 940.000 kms on a clock. To be used on a continental work. Never owed one,a Scania,so I’m looking for some help!

I’m thinking seriously,to buy it,it’s in a good shape,not been abused,from what I’ve seen. You never know!!!

i bought a euro 4 500 in march with 96okm on and it over a million now and its been sound … get it serviced in scania… had the oilcooler seal go hich was a bigish job well just mainly labor but its been ok up to now…

That’s a good thing! Good luck,with the Scania
Never own one, I think I might go for it,for that one in Germany!!

jody1980:

ro trucker:
Hi,to anyone!!

i bought a euro 4 500 in march with 96okm on and it over a million now and its been sound … get it serviced in scania… had the oilcooler seal go hich was a bigish job well just mainly labor but its been ok up to now…

stengel-nutzfahrzeuge.de/ind … trucks_pi1[showUid]=3747&cHash=bca647423f

Looks tidy enough :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dont know if its any use to you but i will be selling a lhd 124 470 ex charles russell done 730k km its a german spec truck it has just had a 4.5k paint job in tor trucks(russells colour are gross) fitted eminox cat which has dutch and german compliance to euro 4 it is super clean its white cab air craft blue chassis retarder chassis lube etc it is mint but sitting in my yard not being used i take sellers down for astrans and we seem bizzy at the mo so i cant see me using it soon also has all maut machine wiring fitted

Is that Scania too new for M/E?

Dennis Marks tips at ours and another lad said he went out to belgium this week for Bahrain, poss 2 trips back to back

This you then Keith ■■?

twitter.yfrog.com/h8rztnrkj

I think that was Phil McKeverly apologies for the name spelling

Must admit with my limited dealings with a 500 not a bad machine but in all honesty overall life costs very high compared to a iveco or daf on 500.000 kms life costings.

I’d go for the 500 the 470 turbo compound engine is notorious for being very troublesome, they drop valves for fun and blow turbos.

bigtruck:
I’d go for the 500 the 470 turbo compound engine is notorious for being very troublesome, they drop valves for fun and blow turbos.

We still run an 04 470 & only recently sold a 51 plate one and never had any mechanical problems with either & as the engine is essentially a 420 with the compounding unit why should they have valve dropping problems, a problem which doesn’t seem to afflict the 420? (we still run an 02 one of those)

Ross.

should do your home work big truck the r series 470 had all the faults modified and generally got a bad reputation by people who dont know what they are talking about ( a good scania fitter told me that )and when i did my home work prior to buying the truck i asked plenty of people who operate them one guy on trucknet ran 5 whith one doing 1.3million before he sold it if you replace the bearings in the 2nd turbo drive it cost about£500 the bearing become noisey giving good indication if you leave it and they go its a3k job but iv yet to meet any one with a r series who has had a problem. and no that wasnt mine thou i was on that trip with phil i got the offer of the 2 i let grayham of east west in doha have the other one it was a 2005 420 manuel with 880km on the clock i kept the 56 and drove it straight to tor trucks were it was painted it was one non smoking driver and is truly immaculate to be fair the other one didnt even compair with it it had averaged over the last 32000km on russells 9.45 to the gallon the lad on truck net who ran 5 of em said it was the best truck he had ever run i kid you not lol

Funny we ran over 30 of them at one stage and replacing heads and turbos was common we also had an 06 and an 05 which cracked the block and had to have a replacement but guess you must have got a good one.

Had a 470 on an 04 from new till he sold it never dropped a valve or blew a turbo the turbo problems happen when the spin er isn’t cleaned at each service [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

which company was that big truck ? im not disputing what you say but iv never heard of a 12 or 11 litre scania engine having head problems the old 11 litre yes cos the valve guides wore oval the valves (exaust) eventually touched the piston if you left it to long but the new engines have bridges between the valves so thet push down absolutely vertically iv had heads of at 1 million with no guide wear was the trucks you had older 4 series they suffered with the bearings on the second turbo i think it was the shaft to the timing gears actuelly the main turbo on all 124s irelivant of power 420 470 etc was all ways a bit of a problem any way iv never heard of a block going you sure it was not the cam shaft spinning the bearings that is a problem with the 12 ltr engine and the 14 litre i know iv changed one remember the 470 is no different to the 420 injects the same amount of fuel no more strian on the crank or pistons remember the extra 40 bhp is recovered from the 2nd turbo this transmits the power that is lost in the exaust gas back thru the timing gears in to the engine thats why eminox fit the same cat system at 420 and 470 one co in kent i know had early 470 8 wheel tippers when one of em massed up the fitter removed the 2nd turbo blanked the timing cover converted the exaust and run it at 420 no ecu change at all run on for years bearing in mind how many scanias on the rd most being 12lt and most of the 480 being twin turbo straight 6 engines you dont hear many problems now just do a search on truck net there are pages about them also they are the same heads on a 12 litre as the 16 litre only different injectors scania told me they have stadardised ie same pistons etc in the 12 and 16 litre lumps same heads etc only thing is the 16 litre has 2 cam shafts to go wrong maybe thats why the 16 litre is notorious for doing the timing gears at about 1 million km

The early compounders had some type of plastic races holding the “bearings” in which after a while caused problem with them braking up etc this was later modified by scania and if oil changed reg and the spinner kept clean there shouldnt be a prob with the compunder. but you always get a bad one even today