Actros vs Range T

Hello all,

I’m taking the plunge in Q1 - Q2 of 2017. Putting my own on the road, (I really mean it this time). Things are bubbling along nicely. I have work lined up, O-licence, Operating centre etc. but I can’t make my mind up on what wagon to plump for. As I have agreed work for 3 years I’m looking at a 3 year lease, 160Kpa with R&M on a new vehicle with an option to extend the lease for a further agreed period if I don’t want to go for a new vehicle in three years time, (or if I want to add a minion to the Empire).

The choice is between:

Renault Range T Comfort 460 DXi - I find them comfortable, durable on the inside, well equipped and powerful enough to pull most things. Also, I’m one of the few people on the planet that likes the looks of them.

Mercedes Actros Streamspace 6x2 450 - A Gigaspace would be the dream but a Streamspace 2.5m wide jobby is quite high on the list of trucks I wouldn’t say no to. I’ve found they don’t age inside as well as the Renault does though and they seem a lot more susceptible to little bumps and knocks around the front corners.

Ive got fairly accurate numbers on the Mercedes and am contacting my local dealer on the Renault next week for firm figures but I don’t want to waste the blokes time if its a Merc based no-brainer. I have tramped in both before so I know what they are like to live in, both have different minor niggles which blot an otherwise good copybook.

The work will be trailers from ports doing temperature controlled, mainly running between 35-40t loaded. As I am North of England, assume a hill will be encountered every now and then.

So I open the floor to opinions.

If there is anyone on here that runs both I would be glad to hear opinions but I am particularly interested in:

Rough MPG figures.
Any major downtime.
Dealer service. (Specific experience of Northside Mercedes and Thompsons Renault would be nice)
Fixing of minor bumps and scrapes - is it easy to get reasonably priced parts etc?
Anything else I need to think of.

One other thing. I’d be looking for a fridge, Microwave and 2500 watt inverter to be fitted. Am I better speccing these from the options lists or getting them myself and having a man in a van fit them for me?

We have T Range Renaults on building site work, which came with a fridge but no lumbar support on the drivers seat. Go figure.

So far they have stood up very well to the rigours of sites, and the drivetrain is legendary, (Volvo) but for some reason there is no kickdown on the autobox. Probably something that our lot specced, so if we need a lower gear up a hill, it’s manual mode I’m afraid. Adblue usage is very good. I can go a week without filling up and do around 200-300 miles per day average. It is difficult to give accurate mpg, as we run full weight one way, then empty back to the customers bases, but I reckon we get 8 to 8.5.

The interior is very well put together, although probably not as good as Mercedes, but then again, whose is, however everything is well within reach. The multi function switches for the dashboard settings are on the top of the steering wheel, and menus get changed by thumb wheels underneath and do take some getting used to, but once learned are easy to remember.

Because ours have no lumbar support, they can be uncomfortable on long journeys, and we have no heated seats, although I see this as a luxury.

There is no point in telling you about storage, as no doubt you have already looked at a T Range, but my guess is that your T Range quote from Renault is cheaper than the Merc, and as it is going to do the same job, then long term it has to work out cheaper surely.

The company I work for are primarily a truck leasing company, and I do know we have a 15 plate currently sat in the yard doing nothing, so it might be worth giving them a ring and see if they are cheaper than Renault direct. (Servicing is done by Renault anyhow.) However, as we pull flat trailers, there is no air kit on it, but I don’t know if one could be fitted.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. I didn’t realise that pulling a flat or low loader did such damage to fuel economy. The one I drove for 3 months was turning in 11 ish MPG on containers!

Its good to get a longer term view of the truck though. While I lived with mine for three months, I’m looking at a long term relationship with a truck for the first time and its good to know they hold up well to rigorous work.

We have 9 of them Nick, ranging from 15 plate to 65 plate. Of the 15 plate ones, mine has the lowest mileage, purely because of the fact it was on contract to another customer before they handed it back to us, and our lot stuck it on the contract that we serve, but before I got it, she stood in our yard for around a month not doing anything.

It’s the usual thing with Renaults I’m afraid, in that the steps are prone to damage, much in the way the Premium used to be, but all of ours are intact despite the rough terrain on building sites.

As an o/d you will obviously be wanting to look after the pennies, but if your not a badge snob, (And a lot of o/d’s are.) then pound for pound, the T Range will do the same job as the Merc, and in nearly most cases will match the Merc in terms of performance so don’t overlook it.

There is rumours of a problem with an engine part on the Renault, but of the 9, the only thing we have had go wrong is a fuel rail on one which happened down the road, and iirc, it was Renault in the Black Country that attended it. They recovered the truck, found they didn’t have one in stock, but took a one off a brand new unregistered truck in their yard, just to get it on it’s way. That’s service. All the type of things an o/d needs to look at.

Ken.

One thing I’m definately not is a badge snob. If they were still making the premium I’d have one of them because they are cheap as chips and do a decent job.

Thanks for the extra Ken.

I put a Brand New IVECO Stralis on the road back in July no issues so far, its on UK work pulling my own 4m Euroliner usually Full weight outbound 1 or 2 Drops return loads vary, Year to Date Average MPG is 9.7, occasionally pull my Customers Double Deck Curtainsiders and has no problem achieving 9MPG, worst Ive had is 7.5 pulling the Double Decker to Glasgow in poor weather but hit 8.7 on return journey fully loaded.

Truck is 6x2 460 Euro 6 on a 3 Year Lease Full R&M £299 per week, 140,000Kms a Year but they do 150,000 and 160,00 options, 1 Months Payment up front (keep your money in the bank) Truck came with, Double Bunks, Built in Sat Nav, Air Con, Night Heater etc, I’m home every night but is comfortable when I have had the odd night out and has plenty of storage locker space, Truck is Inspected/Serviced on Nights by Guest Trucks South Normanton, a courtesy Van is available so you can collect in the early hours if needed.

I was all set for purchasing a 64 Plate Actros Big Space from Northside but decided the IVECO offer was a no brainer as New Kit Warranty for 3 Years far outweighed the used option.

Any questions feel free to ask

Reo Speedwagon:
I put a Brand New IVECO Stralis on the road back in July no issues so far, its on UK work pulling my own 4m Euroliner usually Full weight outbound 1 or 2 Drops return loads vary, Year to Date Average MPG is 9.7, occasionally pull my Customers Double Deck Curtainsiders and has no problem achieving 9MPG, worst Ive had is 7.5 pulling the Double Decker to Glasgow in poor weather but hit 8.7 on return journey fully loaded.

Truck is 6x2 460 Euro 6 on a 3 Year Lease Full R&M £299 per week, 140,000Kms a Year but they do 150,000 and 160,00 options, 1 Months Payment up front (keep your money in the bank) Truck came with, Double Bunks, Built in Sat Nav, Air Con, Night Heater etc, I’m home every night but is comfortable when I have had the odd night out and has plenty of storage locker space, Truck is Inspected/Serviced on Nights by Guest Trucks South Normanton, a courtesy Van is available so you can collect in the early hours if needed.

I was all set for purchasing a 64 Plate Actros Big Space from Northside but decided the IVECO offer was a no brainer as New Kit Warranty for 3 Years far outweighed the used option.

Its great to see a very sensible approach to vehicle operation and purchase , some of the post now have drivers demanding about 750BHP a V8 engine and 4 chrome exhausts up the back of the cab to be able to carry out a days work .

shugg:

Reo Speedwagon:

Its great to see a very sensible approach to vehicle operation and purchase , some of the post now have drivers demanding about 750BHP a V8 engine and 4 chrome exhausts up the back of the cab to be able to carry out a days work .

REO - Whats the Stralis like to drive? How is it holding up cosmetically? The Stralis is the one long range truck I’ve got no experience with, I’ve only ever driven the EuroCargo and I wasn’t impressed with the longevity of the cabin but I know that most manufacturers pull out the stops on the bigger cabs.

Shugg - You are right, its very refreshing. Seen many an O/d go down the pan because they started out with a V8 Topline and airbrushed cab and couldn’t make it pay. I’d discounted the Iveco for the same reason I have discounted the new Scania. I don’t know what they are like from personal experience, if I’ll be happy living with the bugger for three or six years and I don’t think this is the best time to be gambling on a truck I’ve never driven.

Reo Speedwagon:

I don’t know if the Iveco deal is still available, as it was to shift the units before the new XP came out. But it was a stonking deal :smiley:
Still worth looking at Iveco though, I’m sure they’ll be doing deals on the new XP.

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but what is it like to drive, use etc?
Although we missed out on the new truck at £299 per week, I’ve been told to look at replacing the truck at work and I’d never really considered Iveco as previous experiences with them weren’t good, but the last time I drove one was in 2003 and it was a 1994 Eurotech with 800,000kms on it and well used.
But the deal they were offering meant I had to look at them again with an open mind and was impressed with what I saw, but still haven’t got behind the wheel of one.

I think most of the things you’ve asked about on the T-Range you can get as options.
The problems is most of fleet specced, so pretty basic. with the low spec seat, single bunk and no rear lockers,

As for the kick down when I was speccing one for a race team, they offered an Eco pack which gave you Eco roll, which I wanted but also removed the Kick down which I didn’t want to lose. but I’m sure this is a software thing and could be reinstated, it was something we were going to look into if we had got it, but I was working with a boss who every time we had truck problems said look at getting a new truck, but once the truck was working thought better of it.
I’ve seen a couple of dealers selling off the Demonstrators and they do have the extra bits, as the dealer said to me, we show them what they could have and they go for the basic spec.
As you said about keeping it for longer I know you can have a 4 year warranty on a T Range but you have to spec it from new and its an extra cost.

As for the Mercedes, I know an OD who got one 3 years ago on an R&M contract, after Running older Scanias for years and he’s very pleased, no bother and he reckons the lease costs over owning a truck have been more than made up by fuel savings and downtime.

That Iveco deal is a no-brainer for a new start if it’s still available.

Said it before no money down/140k/yr 2yrs R&M 3rd drivelime (but bet can haggle for full R&M[emoji6])
for £299wk BITE their arm off!!![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

My boss gave me a 66 plate iveco 3 months ago,
It got towed away after the first week
Red warning hand brake valve light on

It throws up numerous lights in the dash at random times,
Today it said my tipper trailer was in the raised position while driving,
Strange really as I drive a milk tanker :open_mouth:

The bed is rock hard, the curtains are rubbish, the material on the bed and seats is easily marked, the fridge will hold not a lot ,unless the big fridge is specified, the radio is rubbish,
I could go on but my typing finger is aching

I did come out of a 63plate superspace Daf, that didn’t miss a beat, so I’m biased

But if you have a deal on full r and m, then its the dealers problem,
I don’t know what equivalent deal4rs charge,

But my past experience with modern trucks,
I’d go DAF

Good Evening,

The IVECO is holding up well cosmetically and no irritating niggles and rattles, as far as I know the
Deal is still on and advertised as having limited numbers available, the interior has come on leaps
and bounds over previous models, the seating is a Beige colour and I requested mine come with a
passenger seat, the Dash is now a Soft Touch finish in Black, I didn’t mention in my previous post that
it also comes with an Eco Roll function also. I have no qualms about how it drives and handles, and
have no back ache after doing a full shift, the Steering and Seat adjust to all sorts of positions.

The Euroliner was New from ATE Wolverhampton I had looked at Renting a Tautliner but was looking at
£90pw (Used), ATE supplied the Euroliner for £55w, non maintained on a 5 Year Lease, there are Bargains to be
had if you shop about.

I started off running a Sprinter Van then added a Renault Kangoo Van doing Courier Work gradually built things
up then asked my Customer about 7.5 Ton work which they said could keep me busy, so bought one in Year 2
of Operating, Im now in Year 3 and again got the work sorted before sorting any deals out.

We have just put 2 brand new mercedes actros big spaces on the road and a new 560 iveco stralis spec wise, the iveco has far more to shout about, the mercs are both 450’s and are returning over 10mpg, we used to have renault but found that the residual value compared to a mercedes is ridiculously bad, but we have many ivecos and rate them very highly, price wise renualt parts seem to be very deer when compared to iveco and mercedes but i would say best value for money when new would be the iveco but when you are thinking of getting rod of them you cant go wrong with a mercedes.

boyesadabest:
We have just put 2 brand new mercedes actros big spaces on the road and a new 560 iveco stralis spec wise, the iveco has far more to shout about, the mercs are both 450’s and are returning over 10mpg, we used to have renault but found that the residual value compared to a mercedes is ridiculously bad, but we have many ivecos and rate them very highly, price wise renualt parts seem to be very deer when compared to iveco and mercedes but i would say best value for money when new would be the iveco but when you are thinking of getting rod of them you cant go wrong with a mercedes.

Thanks Boyesadabest, good info. Any ideas on what the Stralis is returning in MPG? Also what are you pulling?

Reo Speedwagon:
Good Evening,

The IVECO is holding up well cosmetically and no irritating niggles and rattles, as far as I know the
Deal is still on and advertised as having limited numbers available, the interior has come on leaps
and bounds over previous models, the seating is a Beige colour and I requested mine come with a
passenger seat, the Dash is now a Soft Touch finish in Black, I didn’t mention in my previous post that
it also comes with an Eco Roll function also. I have no qualms about how it drives and handles, and
have no back ache after doing a full shift, the Steering and Seat adjust to all sorts of positions.

The Euroliner was New from ATE Wolverhampton I had looked at Renting a Tautliner but was looking at
£90pw (Used), ATE supplied the Euroliner for £55w, non maintained on a 5 Year Lease, there are Bargains to be
had if you shop about.

Two questions jump out from that one REO. First: WHAT!!! The passenger seat isn’t standard? Where is the obligatory Meerkat toy going to sit? Second, if Eco Roll deletes the kickdown, what sort of MPG gain is it bringing to compensate do you reckon, (I know it would be a guess as you don’t have one without it to compare against.) Good to know the trailer deals too but I’d be starting out on from the ferry traction work so wont need that little gem of info until later.

tonyb70:
My boss gave me a 66 plate iveco 3 months ago,
It got towed away after the first week
Red warning hand brake valve light on

It throws up numerous lights in the dash at random times,
Today it said my tipper trailer was in the raised position while driving,
Strange really as I drive a milk tanker :open_mouth:

The bed is rock hard, the curtains are rubbish, the material on the bed and seats is easily marked, the fridge will hold not a lot ,unless the big fridge is specified, the radio is rubbish,
I could go on but my typing finger is aching

I did come out of a 63plate superspace Daf, that didn’t miss a beat, so I’m biased

But if you have a deal on full r and m, then its the dealers problem,
I don’t know what equivalent deal4rs charge,

But my past experience with modern trucks,
I’d go DAF

Those are the sort of IVECO horror stories I had heard before. I’m hoping to hear how common they actually are. As for DAF’s my experience is that even the brand new ones come with defects as standard. I’ve not driven a Euro 6 XF but I spent two months tramping in a Euro 5 and the build quality was awful, it was pretty juicy even compared to a Premium and the drivers seat was terrible. I’ve driven a couple of Euro 6 CFs too and was not impressed, especially with the Lane Departure system which picks up cracks in the road, the adaptive cruise control which is overly intrusive and the auto braking system which once picked up a truck in lane 1 while I was in lane 2 and pulled an emergency stop.

I have a personal theory that the purchase of a DAF is a sign the boss doesn’t like you. And as I’m the bossman in this scenario, I really do like myself quite a lot!

Is this a new start business or have you been trading for sometime.

Here goes my take on this I am a small family based firm doing livestock fridge and curtainsider work! We had a brand new stralis and I was very impressed was a 560 went well but electrics wise it was useless on livestock due to water washing it constantly we had it for 12 months and was very good on fuel but back up was terrible! Not saying I wouldn’t have another but would take a huge amount of persuading . Daf’s I hate them nearly skinted me twice plastic pigs they are ! We have a Volvo fh4 and I have had old type fh back up fantastic and good trucks no trouble at all! Scania we have had three in my time at the helm fantastic truck we have got one left v8 no problems and backup brilliant . Mercedes we have two actros fantastic truck back up first class fuel top notch value for money a merc all day long Roanza at stoke have been first class and so have rygor . If I could buy a v8 Scania for the same price as anything else I would but for all round value and quality mercedes have won me over for a long time and tbh I don’t like the new Scania shape ! So all I can say is buy an actros u get value quality and back up all in one go

lee mat:
Is this a new start business or have you been trading for sometime.

I’ve been trading for just over 18 months.

We have a 15 plate 450 Mercedes Actros that broke down in customers premises in Stoke nearly 3 weeks ago,it was towed into the Stoke dealership where it still sits!!!,the problem- a faulty ignition key slot that Mercedes don’t seem able to source :unamused: .A second sister lorry to this had lighting fault the next week in the same customers premises, the Merc technician wanted it recovered to the garage!!! :unamused: .Our driver volunteered to drive it there whilst our own workshop asked them to check if the electric suzie was causing any problems, the Merc fitter said he had tried that and so after many hours of head scratching a second technician tried–guess what?---- an new electric suzie—hey presto, the lights worked!!! :unamused:. In a previous job I was driving an Arocs wag n drag when a car ran into me head on----that vehicle ended up 3months off the road waiting on parts
Decent wagons let down by rubbish back up!!!

GOG47:
We have a 15 plate 450 Mercedes Actros that broke down in customers premises in Stoke nearly 3 weeks ago,it was towed into the Stoke dealership where it still sits!!!,the problem- a faulty ignition key slot that Mercedes don’t seem able to source :unamused: .A second sister lorry to this had lighting fault the next week in the same customers premises, the Merc technician wanted it recovered to the garage!!! :unamused: .Our driver volunteered to drive it there whilst our own workshop asked them to check if the electric suzie was causing any problems, the Merc fitter said he had tried that and so after many hours of head scratching a second technician tried–guess what?---- an new electric suzie—hey presto, the lights worked!!! :unamused:. In a previous job I was driving an Arocs wag n drag when a car ran into me head on----that vehicle ended up 3months off the road waiting on parts
Decent wagons let down by rubbish back up!!!

Wow, thats the first bad reference for Merc dealers I’ve heard. Seems like you have been unlucky. I have noticed that the suzies tend to be a bit fragile on Mercs but thats fairly easily fixed by carrying a couple of spares in the side locker.

As for the Arocs issue. JESUS!