New lease unit.... Honest opinions

Evening all,
I will be leasing a new unit soon and after running all sorts of second hand kit I’m looking for a bit of input as to what cab to go for… The Actros really floats my boat looks wise which what my heart says go n get, head is saying Scania or Volvo… We run lowloaders up to 44t so not Stgo. Anyone’s experiences good of bad would be appreciated.
The only thing I’ll say is that in previous experience, merc back-up round my way has always been ■■■■ poor on the vans… Is it as bad on the truck side?

Thanks in advance :astonished:)

Where are you based?

I have read that Merc do a very good lease deal, if I was wanting to replace my truck then I’d probably go with it.

I’ve been asked to edit my post so rather than edit it I’ll remove it.

Why does your head say Scania or Volvo? Is it the deal, you think its a quality product or dealer back up in your area?
What about the less favoured makes, Iveco, Renault or MAN.

I have had my Actros 1845 Gigaspace on a fully maintained lease for 16 months now and have been extremely impressed both with the product and the service from my local dealer (Poole) and Mercedes Assist.

The truck is nice to drive and there is plenty of living space. I am averaging 11 - 12mpg, although I only do light work with it. The truck is solidly built and the only reliability issue I have had is a faulty battery (unlike the Iveco I had before, which had numerous reliability issues within the same period). When this did happen, Mercedes Assist were on scene within the hour and I was straight back on the road. The dealer are always helpful and do what they say they will. When the lease finishes, I will certainly be getting another Actros.

whelmic:
I have had my Actros 1845 Gigaspace on a fully maintained lease for 16 months now and have been extremely impressed both with the product and the service from my local dealer (Poole) and Mercedes Assist.

The truck is nice to drive and there is plenty of living space. I am averaging 11 - 12mpg, although I only do light work with it. The truck is solidly built and the only reliability issue I have had is a faulty battery (unlike the Iveco I had before, which had numerous reliability issues within the same period). When this did happen, Mercedes Assist were on scene within the hour and I was straight back on the road. The dealer are always helpful and do what they say they will. When the lease finishes, I will certainly be getting another Actros.

Hi mate I deal with poole aswell and have done for 4 years no probs lookin at replacing my 58 plate mega space soon what sort of deal did Chris sort out for ? Feel free to pm thanks terry

Looksexpensive:
Evening all,
I will be leasing a new unit soon and after running all sorts of second hand kit I’m looking for a bit of input as to what cab to go for… The Actros really floats my boat looks wise which what my heart says go n get, head is saying Scania or Volvo… We run lowloaders up to 44t so not Stgo. Anyone’s experiences good of bad would be appreciated.
The only thing I’ll say is that in previous experience, merc back-up round my way has always been ■■■■ poor on the vans… Is it as bad on the truck side?

Thanks in advance :astonished:)

You won’t go wrong with the Merc. It’s just maybe not as ■■■■ as the swedes although with the latest model, the gap has narrowed immensely.

I think the top spec new giga mercs look better than anything else on the road today, and the new renaults look uglier than anything else on the road today !

(Apologies to any new renault owners, just my opinion)

If honest opinions are required, why is anyone remotely interested in the aesthetics of a vehicle required to work for its living, and i don’t mean an unkempt filthy dirty battered wreck, i mean the reasoning behind choosing make a over make b because its prettier, bizarre.

Cars get chosen for their looks not lorries.

Juddian:
If honest opinions are required, why is anyone remotely interested in the aesthetics of a vehicle required to work for its living, and i don’t mean an unkempt filthy dirty battered wreck, i mean the reasoning behind choosing make a over make b because its prettier, bizarre.

^^^this^^^

If theres nothing in the price though then surely you are going to pick the smarter of the 2 ? Theres a lot to be said for company image, especially as a 1 man band

Hi all. Thanks for the replies… Seems like the merc is getting good reviews… I’ve been sign writing trucks for over 15 years and seen a lot of firms try trucks and then settle with 1 type, S&r smith, cranleigh freight, substantial DAF fleet… Forest freight, all merc… I’ve seen trends with most of my customers but the main has always been daf, Scania merc and volvo. But at some point I will have to sign a cheque & want the best out of it… I’m sure most od’s will agree. On the looks side, I don’t think I could live with paying 1500-2000 a month on a very ugly cab when the volvo or merc for similar money I think has a much more modern, smarter appearance.

Looksexpensive:
Hi all. Thanks for the replies… Seems like the merc is getting good reviews… I’ve been sign writing trucks for over 15 years and seen a lot of firms try trucks and then settle with 1 type, S&r smith, cranleigh freight, substantial DAF fleet… Forest freight, all merc… I’ve seen trends with most of my customers but the main has always been daf, Scania merc and volvo. But at some point I will have to sign a cheque & want the best out of it… I’m sure most od’s will agree. On the looks side, I don’t think I could live with paying 1500-2000 a month on a very ugly cab when the volvo or merc for similar money I think has a much more modern, smarter appearance.

lookin at setting up on my own myself and we all have our favourite makes but it must come down to costs and dealer service don’t know about the rest of you guys,but over the years the service I have got from the daf/erf/volvoand scania dealers in carlise have been first class but cant be said about other areas of the country but daf for me seem to be the best for uk cover only my opinion,but not my favourite choice of truck as a new start this would be high on my list for making any choice of unit to sign up for.if it does go wrong how long before they give you a replacement unit :question:

Tbh there’s not really a lot in it when it comes to brand of truck and a lot if it is personal preference one mans Kate moss is another mans dot cotton
Price however is a major consideration a 200 pound a month saving on say a Merc compared to a Scania may come in v handy when the chips are down
Dealer location is another thing to consider its a lot easier gettin a six week check fine or repairs if the dealer is close buy to your operating centre
Yes Daf do have a v good network but y is Tht do they break down a lot ?
A dealer network is only as good as the pressure put on it you ring any breakdown service in a cold frosty morning with flat batteries your have a long wait
The other thing to consider is with modern trucks unless it’s a fri a noon one how many times are you gona have to call them out in the five years I’ve been goin it’s was once for a Daf compressor issuie and once for my Merc clutch prob but turned up in a resnoble time and both probs were resolved in 24 hours

If I was going to go O/D again and look at a new truck the Merc Actros 2545 would be top of the list. :sunglasses:

The “Big space” cab is plenty big enough,
much diff in dough to a “Giga space” :question: :neutral_face:

The fuel returns from the new Actros all seem to be very good :exclamation:

A lot of firms round my way have started buying mercs despite not running them previously and fuel economy is meant to be very good although i have heard very mixed reviews on the dealers.
might be worth speaking to merc operators in your area about the dealers.

Juddian:

Because we are human & appreciate a fine aesthetic. Take your point further & the birds & the bees would die. :slight_smile:

kr79:
A lot of firms round my way have started buying mercs despite not running them previously and fuel economy is meant to be very good although i have heard very mixed reviews on the dealers.
might be worth speaking to merc operators in your area about the dealers.

Same engine in them as your old Coronado Kev, might be an idea for you to give em a swerve :laughing:

Be another 10 years before i get a new lorry they will have the emmisions ■■■■ sorted by then