Renault Premium / Merc Actros

Hi all, been great on here so far. :smiley:

Start new job Monday 22nd, been give a 12mth old Ren. Premium, after 6mths changing to Merc Actros hi top.

Having never been in one let alone driven either, can anyone hi-lite any plus or minor points please?

This may also seem as if I’m being thick :blush: , but what is ‘tramping’ and a ‘reefer’ trailer?

Regards

John

reefer = fridge
tramping= sleeping in the truck all week.

renault= bag of nails,nice bunk
actros= lovely truck, very hard bunk.

Renault Premiums are a bit like Marmite. You’ll either love it or hate it. The newer, nore powerful ones are pretty good and make good “live-in” motors. The 420hp version pulls well and has the 16 speed ZF box. They are common rail injection so packed with engine management electronics and unfortunately auto electrics have never been a strong point with the French. Very comfy vehicles though but I’m sure someone will follow me on here and slag them to bits. Like I said they are the Marmite of the haulage game:)

Tramping is pretty much how it sounds. You simply wander all over the country as instructed by the management. With tramping you never know what your next load will be, where it will be from or where it will be going. Usually tramping involves a large number of nights out too. I loved it years ago but I’ve become accustomed to my own bed and my home comforts so I wouldn’t do it now. This sort of work tends to be either general haulage or container work.

For “reefer” read refrigerated.

HTH :slight_smile:

Qhunter:
Very comfy vehicles though but I’m sure someone will follow me on here and slag them to bits

…or beat me to it!

Can’t speak for the Actros,as I’ve never driven one,but I am the driver of a 6 month old Premium,and while I won’t list all the good and bad points,I’ll leave you to make up your mind,so here goes…

420 bhp engine. (Bit flat off the mark but once wound up,goes ok.)
12 speed automatic/manual box with no clutch. (Select either while moving or static.)
Re-designed dashboard,including outside temp and radio frequency.
Indicator on dashboard to tell you which gear your in.
Air con. :smiley:
Electric windows.
Electric mirrors. :smiley:
Electric sun roof. (Not mine as it’s old/new stock. :angry: )
Good radio. :smiley:
Remote controls on steering wheel for radio. :smiley:
Single or twin bunks. (The twin is the foldaway hammock variety,I’ve got one and hate it as your nose nearly touches it while in bed and it feels claustrophobic.Also,it has to be folded back whilst driving or you can’t get the seat position right.)
Lighter interior fabric than previous model.
1 large overhead locker.
1 medium overhead locker with locking facility.
Ample underbed storage.

If,however,I had any gripes,then the following 5 spring to mind:

Coupling light has to be switched on from outside. :angry:
The overhead storage doesn’t go all the way across,so the sun shines in your eyes on the passenger side,as there is a big gap. :angry:
There’s no flat floor for cross cab access. :angry:
The ‘cd tray’ tacho equipment is down near the ignition,in front of your right knee,and not overhead,so you have to move your keys,and bend down to change discs or the mode switch. :angry:
The design of the aerodynamics means the windows on the doors get dirty easily. :angry:

I have to say though,that they are a big improvement on the old model,as I used to have one,and while not everyones cup of tea,I actually quite like mine.Sad,I know.

My guess is,because yours is 12 months old,it will not have all the features listed above,like the auto box.

Ken.

Tramping is ok if you like trucking as a way of life and like getting around differant places. It’s not ok if you like your own bed and want to go from a - b and not worry about map reading and navigation and finding somewhere to turn when you miss the entrance to the place you have been looking for.

I had a 385 privilege cab Premium on Tramping work for a year. The old gearbox was hard work. but I had no problem living in it and quite liked it. Unlike some I found the seat comfortable, My bottom bunk was lower than most so I had plenty of space between the 2 bunks.
The hammock style top bunk was great for storing gear and I never opened mine out.
No flat floor, but I could stand on the centre to get get dressed and I am 6ft. and it is also the right hight to put your delivery notes and cup of tea.
All the trim stayed on which is more than can be said for the TGA I’m driving now.
The side windows get dirty when it rains and the outside locker is to small when you want to carry loads of straps etc.
People keep comparing them with Globetrotters, Toplines and XF’s but its not that type of motor it’s a fleet motor. Think FM’s and CF’s

hello john, congrats on your new job mate. i had a 52 plate 420 premium and was quite happy with it, they dont pull too well but i found mine very comfy. are you getting the premium single or a normal one. i had both on rh freight, the single has its good points-wide comfy bed, big storage under bed. large pull out draw where passenger seat should be, but i missed the pass seat as you have to either stay in the driving seat or sit on the “chaisse longue!!” (bed!!) the radio in mine was excellent with controls on a stalk on the wheel. the cruise was also better than some as in the newer versions you can change gear and it will still stay on(uphill etc). some blokes like em and some hate em. i used to be away three weeks in mine and found it ok. the spec can be quite good, i had aircon, electric roof, pull out fridge(full of beer usually :laughing: ). never had the recycled u-boat (mercedes) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

just thought of a bad point! the passenger footwell in the normal cab gets bloody freezing in winter at night-the nightheater outlet is down the side of the drivers seat! i think its because its designed as a left hand drive cab! and i had to pull the top bunk out or i`d bump my shoulders on it when i turned over in bed

Renault Premiums are a bit like Marmite. You’ll either love it or hate it. The newer, nore powerful ones are pretty good and make good “live-in” motors

The newer more powerful ones have 2 elastic bands as opposed to the traditional 1 in the older version :laughing:

TRAMPING = bit like drugs, you know you shouldnt do it but once youve tried it … :slight_smile:

Reefer = fridge work, cleanest work available everyone hates you when you park up everyone envies you when you pull up to load at loading bay , ie just open rear doors :wink:

this wont help i like them both sorry!!!
but if i had to choose, the premium
chris

dave:
reefer = fridge
tramping= sleeping in the truck all week.

renault= bag of nails,nice bunk
actros= lovely truck, very hard bunk.

Hi all

Been watching the boards and know I have been quiet. The merc actros is a lovely truck. Bunk is not bad. Bottom bunk has springs and a nice comfy matress. All in all not to bad.

I always liked the Scania but the actros is pulling way ahead. Gear changing is brilliant and everything you need is on the steering in front of you. The throne is so comfortable you could sit there all day. Passenger seat is a bit hard though and doesn’t have many comfy controls. Who needs them anyway as long as the throne is a comfort haven so what.

Lori

Have never driven the Premium but at my last job, I had an Actros Spacecab and I liked it! More so than the Magnum I had had before. BUT what I did like was when I had the new Actros on demo for a few days… what a machine!!!

:smiley: You just knew that I couldn’t avoid this thread :smiley: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

RENAULT PREMIUM = BAG OF [ZB].

Burn it/blow it up, for everyone’s sake.

Never had a “proper” go in a Magnum but got the chance today from an owner driver :slight_smile: It’s like driving a house… from an upstairs room. I love the cab interior even if looking dated (it was an 11yr old one the driver told me). Was very nippy for whatever engine size it was (not a powerful one) but thought the ride was spongy and rather daunting round corners. Dog ugly from the outside though but I’d happily drive someone elses for shortish periods of time just for fun. (No way have I just admitted that).

BUT THE PREMIUM… NO. IT’S NASTY. Merc any day.

I have an R reg Premiun Privilege 385, and I LOVE IT. A bit slow on the uptake, but goes like a train once he gets going.
Swap it? Not in a million years

Kate:
I have an R reg Premiun Privilege 385, and I LOVE IT. A bit slow on the uptake, but goes like a train once he gets going.

That’s what it is… IT’S A GIRLS TRUCK (like Ford Ka’s and Nissan Micra’s)

:laughing:

… and what are they doing out of the kitchen anyway?

The gaffer likes Renaults, and said he wants to get me a 6 wheeler unit by christmas. In that case I would like a Magnum, but the shillings lean to the Premium, I’ll have to get pursauding!

Mal.

Mal:
The gaffer likes Renaults, and said he wants to get me a 6 wheeler unit by christmas. In that case I would like a Magnum, but the shillings lean to the Premium, I’ll have to get pursauding!

Mal.

No Mal, you’ll have to start writing your notice out :laughing:

Mind, if you’re driving an Atki now… well…

Rob K:

Mal:

Mal.

No Mal, you’ll have to start writing your notice out :laughing:

Mind, if you’re driving an Atki now… well…

LMAO! you got a way with words Rob!

Mal.

Rob K:

Kate:

That’s what it is… IT’S A GIRLS TRUCK (like Ford Ka’s and Nissan Micra’s)

:laughing:

Ooooh, dicing with death there :smiley: Good point though :laughing: