The great fuel rip off!

everyone and their grandmother moans about full prices and squarely blames the goverment but how much is down to unscrupulouse dealers?
tuesday had a load from rotherham to port talbot, i pass a local garage on my way to pick the wagon up, they had a price on the board of 99.9p for diesel :open_mouth:
down near port talbot called into a shell garage to get some â– â– â– â– , their price 84.6p! ok fair enough the small garage will pay more for their fuel but fifteen pence difference? thats taking p.

it’s still 80% tax though :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Denis F:
it’s still 80% tax though :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Not strictly true any more - it’s 47.10p/litre (plus the VAT element of course) which with current petrol prices is less than 80%, as I’ve worked out in the examples below. For the total tax to come to 80%, the pump price would need to drop back down to about 72ppl, which isn’t likely really I don’t think.

So, 85ppl comes to 72.34p+VAT, of which 47.10p is the duty, so before duty and VAT you’re actually paying 25.25p for the fuel. This means 70.3% of the 85p is tax.

On 99ppl derv, that works out to 84.26p+VAT, of which 47.10p is duty, so before duty and VAT you’re paying 37.16p for the fuel. This means 62.5% of the 99p is tax.

One interesting point to note here is that the different in the price you’re actually paying for the fuel (and not to Gordon Brown) in those two examples is 25p up to 37p, which is a huuuuge difference, 50% more in the second case.

Paul