Anglo Greek

Bit over the top for my liking. but each to his own! Gota admit I do like the white 1 though!

IMG_0002.jpg

If anyone knows where this Ferry goes to/from, you really are top banana!

Hi Chris, I think that it could be a small ferry that used to run from Rio which is just up the road from Patras across to Antirrio from which you could go to west to Igoumenitsa or northeast to Larisa both of them fantastic drives as far as scenery is concerned, if you had time to enjoy while concentrating on the road. Ok if you were empty or lightly loaded but not for the faint hearted with 20 tons of melons there are some serious hills on them, you really are up with the gods at times.
The little ferry has now been replaced by a bridge as the distance is only 7.5km.
Chazzer

Keith the thief, sad to hear about Joe Taylor he was a great bloke, always spoke his mind, I suppose he felt he owed George something after all those years to stay there as a security guard. I used to do work for Leon and Steve as well when I had the Transcon down to Gibralter out of Avonmouth, great little job especially with a tankfull of cherry on the way out then refill it it Gib with white at a £1 a gallon you could’nt help but make money on it. Is George still running those ex Arrows Dafs they’ve got to be 11years old now but they were top spec when we had them, I suppose he put them on Cypriot registrations. I’ve put a pic of my test team one on and the FH12 I had before that>

George didn’t owe Joe anything ,he only had Joe as watchman because Joe was skint,something to do with being domiciled in Greece for so long affected his pension.When I saw Joe Georges son was given the job of running things.Poor old Joe,he hated the job but he hated his Welsh home even more.Before Joe did TIR he was based in Belgium with a long distance bus company that ran American Eagle buses. He used to do tours down to India & places. He was away from UK months at a time.He told me that when he got back to Belgium he would be responsible for sewing up & repairing all the tents that they carried on board. I think he was married at the time in UK?

nadilak ferry ?

adr:

barry07921:
nadilak ferry ?

adr:

Hullo barry07921’
do you mean the Hungarian / Romanian Border ? Nagylak / Nadlac. There is a Ferry you can use from Calafat Romania, to Vidin Bulgaria if you want to. It’s a bloody steep drop to get onto it at Calafat. and the Ramp on is a bit dodgy too. I broke the Airdam off the bottom of my DAF 2800 on that . :frowning: :frowning: It’s on the E79 , the European road from Hungary to Thessalonika
Cheers, Archie.

chazzer sorry for the late reply yes george and chris are still running them dafs they were in daf head office at thame when arrows went pop george got offered the 1st one by lee at riverside it was only about 3 months old george said yes but only if he could have the 2 a deal was done and every body happy i think he give about 48k each at the time but dont quote me they have both been cyprus regestered since george brought them

I had a message from I think Paul Rance of Anglo Greek fame, its disappeared before I could answer it though wtf? Anyway Paul if You read this send it again please…

fly sheet:
I had a message from I think Paul Rance of Anglo Greek fame, its disappeared before I could answer it though wtf? Anyway Paul if You read this send it again please…

Hullo fly sheet,
I never ever knew Paul Rance, but I did know his brother quite well in those days, Derek Rance. Do you remember him ? The last time I saw him he had a Waggon and Drag, Scania, I believe it was one of Atholls cast offs, and he had it all in Davis Turner Colours. He came into my yard to get a friend of ours John Fenwick to do a few repairs for him. I wonder what he’s doing now.
Cheers, Archie.

I saw His brother Terry a couple of months ago Archie, I was good mates with Dereck, I met Paul a few times. I remember John Fenwick & I have a vague memory of another Yorkshire bloke that was His friend pulling for Hoggy.

I spoke to Mary from Anglo Greek over xmas, She sounded well.

Do You remember the black geezer on the fork lift? Was his name Peter?

I found Paul on here & messaged Him, I will maybe see Him as He’s over here somewhere.

All the best

You may see him in the back crackers place Coop, he’s a regular :wink:

fly sheet:
I saw His brother Terry a couple of months ago Archie, I was good mates with Dereck, I met Paul a few times. I remember John Fenwick & I have a vague memory of another Yorkshire bloke that was His friend pulling for Hoggy.

I spoke to Mary from Anglo Greek over xmas, She sounded well.

Do You remember the black geezer on the fork lift? Was his name Peter?

I found Paul on here & messaged Him, I will maybe see Him as He’s over here somewhere.

All the best

Hullo fly sheet,
Well if you do see Derek again, give him my regards please. Good to hear that Mary is still on the go, give her my regards too please. If you remember John Fenwick then you most likely remember me too. It was me that introduced John to International Haulage and me that got him onto Anglo Greek. Brian was a bit wary of giving him work at first as he was in his mind mixing up the name Fenwick with Fishwick, (I don’t know if you also met John Fishwick) but anyway in the end he said yes and John became a regular on there. I don’t remember a black bloke on the Forklift, there were two brothers running the Wharehouse Harry and George. There was a black bloke driving on there, in fact it was him that introduced me to Brian Hogg , that was Glen Campbell. He had a White Road Commander ( ex Black Billy’s) and then a White Transcon. He had Trailer AG1 from new and I had AG2 from new.
Cheers, Archie

I remember Glen Campbell Archie, the Commercial Motor & a glass of fresh orange juice & He was anybodies :smiley:

fly sheet:
I remember Glen Campbell Archie, the Commercial Motor & a glass of fresh orange juice & He was anybodies :smiley:

Hullo fly sheet,
Yes that’s just about right :smiley: Glen was’nt a drinker at all. What motor did Glen have when you knew him ? was it the White or the Transcon, he spent a lot of cash on that one. Who were you on for ? Was it George (Mondial).
Cheers, Archie.

Fly Sheet there’s a picture of Mr Campbell in all his glory on page 9 of this thread with Derek Hoss Horsley and myself along with the chap with no hair who I think was called Morris, perhaps someone recognises him, taken in St Nicks Square late 80’s after they had redeveloped the centre area from being a car and truck park.

Archie Paice:

fly sheet:

Hullo fly sheet,
Yes that’s just about right :smiley: Glen was’nt a drinker at all. What motor did Glen have when you knew him ? was it the White or the Transcon, he spent a lot of cash on that one. Who were you on for ? Was it George (Mondial).
Cheers, Archie.

He had a flashy red 142 Archie, I had to do a load to Crete with him for Hoggy, Ray Emptage subbed me that job, I did a lot of loads for Ray, I pulled for Transways a lot too, Gensped, Solar Marine all the usual suspects really. I finished going in 2004 when I pulled for Intersped.

He had a flashy red 142 Archie, I had to do a load to Crete with him for Hoggy, Ray Emptage subbed me that job, I did a lot of loads for Ray, I pulled for Transways a lot too, Gensped, Solar Marine all the usual suspects really. I finished going in 2004 when I pulled for Intersped.

Hullo fly sheet,
No, I never saw that motor of Glen’s. I remember Ray Emptage quite well, in fact I did a job for him once, a real mucky load of old rear axles from somewhere in Lancashire down to Italy. I also knew his Brother Russell, and another friend of theirs Billy Lorrenti. I started going down there with Whittles, then I did a bit for Mondials, Solar Marine and Impex, then I met up with Glen and went on for Anglo Greek. I stopped running there in I think 1983 or 1984, and went on to Italy again for Frans Maas. But the five or six years that I had running there was great. I did manage to put a few bob away on that job.
Cheers, Archie.

Your before my time Archie, I started january 1990 & did My last trip in 2007, I drove for Russel for a while & subbed for Ray quite a while, I spoke to Freddy Noble just before xmas & had a laugh with him. I used to do a lot of F Maas groupage for Intersped at the finish to Piraeus.

fly sheet:
Your before my time Archie, I started january 1990 & did My last trip in 2007, I drove for Russel for a while & subbed for Ray quite a while, I spoke to Freddy Noble just before xmas & had a laugh with him. I used to do a lot of F Maas groupage for Intersped at the finish to Piraeus.

Hullo,
Yes it was a bit after I finished with it. I do know Ray Emptage is still doing a bit of this and that, as I was talking to Kieth Jordan a few weeks ago and he mentioned Ray. Russell I’ve no idea what he’s doing these days, I know he always had big ideas. I you speak to Freddy Noble again please give him my very best regards. A grand bloke he was. I often wonder what happened to the blokes as I’ve said before on here, that were around when I was on the job. Charlie (Chazzer) is about the only one, I think.
Cheers, Archie.