Trucking around Slough/Colnbrook/Datchet/Langley from.1970-

It was not thurrocks but thirlrocks from Datchet boss was joe gavigan R I P and secatary was a lady called Elaine i worked there when i was in my early 20s gave up a brand new 2800 daf with concorde express to drive an ex fuel tanker unit a leyland with 2x gear leavers no sleeper and went all over uk sleeping across bonnet with newspaper up the windows for a bit of privacy i used to take my girlfreind so somtimes we just slept in the seats i progressed to a scammel which i blew up engine on m4 towed home had a couple days off and was called in told it was done and on monday i was to go to Norfolk but be carfull with the brakes i thought that is strange threre was nothing wrong with the brakes it turned out they did not fix my one but put the number plater on another one because my one was taxed and another job we used to do was seel back from Liverpool Aintree by the racecourse com back to yard back in where joe said and what they would do was get the crane and put another load of steel on top of the load allready on there all flat trailers in them days joe would say be in very early before anyones about take that to Thamesmead when they was building that over by Plumstead London sorry for going on a bit but i am new to this and when i saw the names the memories came flooding back

I worked for Cornwall Bros for a spell in the 70,s and met a few charachters who were duckin an divin around at that time, i had a very nice F88 290 and was as proud as punch, certain others there went on to become O/Ds including Bill Hall who bought a White road commander if i recall, there was a few people there who i would not cross the road to greet now, but in the main a sound crew, the Bros ended up running off to Greece and running a charter business, probably a bit of smuggling thrown in… happy mad days though… i also did a stint for Med Trans out of Heathrow who ran a bit of an odd fleet of Artic and drawbar rigs, some french reg, they had depots in Rome Paris and Marseille so you didnt hang around waiting for loads, just go and dont sparer the horses was the company motto…one guy sticks in my memory, Ernesto was an ex legionaire and general lunatic who had weekly brushes with the police no matter where he was…characters you just couldnt invent now…

old skool kid:
Anyone on here remember my Father Frank (ITALIAN) Rossie.worked in the 70-80s for R B Ashton International/Thurrocks/Speedway Freightway/Pan Expess-(when Dave Was on the road)and for the Swanson Empire .(as long As James was paying cash in hand.) . :slight_smile:
R B Astons were from Langley ran a yellow 6x4 150 gardener aki With coffin sleeper, 6 x2 Mercs think they were 2019s or somthing like that flat out 48mph.ran Middle East.also a couple of D1000 good for 70mph till you put a trailer on. :laughing:
And one of the first leyland buffalos,sleeper cab (box) with 13 speed fuller miss one on scotch hill (watford)and you got the front wheels off the ground pulling away. :wink:
Thurrocks ran allsorts as long as you could paint it light blue,
Speedway freightway Volvos 88 and 86 and a Saviem all green (and on demo) a V10 Maggie in red when like stink but if you missed a gear in the crash box you were F***.LOL. :open_mouth:
Frank gave up International and went on to work for square grip,Gaffs,Carrols.(when Martin wore short trousers).Sprung Slumber,Goodwins,AirlinksTo name a few.
If anyone has any pictures would love to see them as Franks now shunting Angels and proberly trying to get a back hander from St Peter for some gates hes got from a mate.LOL… :unamused:
Im still in transport drive a desk most days but still go out just to show I still can 56 on the limiter I can remember it used to be first time you hit 56 was on the hill running north down the M1 hill @ A5 junction Dunstable… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone on here remember my Father Frank (ITALIAN) Rossie.worked in the 70-80s for Ashton International/Thurrocks/Speedway Freightway/Pan Expess-(when Dave Was on the road)and for the Swanson Empire .(as long As James was paying cash in hand.) . :slight_smile:
Astons were from Langley ran a yellow 6x4 150 gardener aki With coffin sleeper, 6 x2 Mercs think they were 2019s or somthing like that flat out 48mph.ran Middle East.also a couple of D1000 good for 70mph till you put a trailer on. :laughing:
And one of the first leyland buffalos,sleeper cab (box) with 13 speed fuller miss one on scotch hill (watford)and you got the front wheels off the ground pulling away. :wink:
Thurrocks ran allsorts as long as you could paint it light blue,
Speedway freightway Volvos 88 and 86 and a Saviem all green (and on demo) a V10 Maggie in red when like stink but if you missed a gear in the crash box you were F***.LOL. :open_mouth:
Frank gave up International and went on to work for square grip,Gaffs,Carrols.(when Martin wore short trousers).Sprung Slumber,Goodwins,AirlinksTo name a few.
If anyone has any pictures would love to see them as Franks now shunting Angels and proberly trying to get a back hander from St Peter for some gates hes got from a mate.LOL… :unamused:
Im still in transport drive a desk most days but still go out just to show I still can 56 on the limiter I can remember it used to be first time you hit 56 was on the hill running north down the M1 hill @ A5 junction Dunstable… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: