blomfields

when i left school got a job fitting in the yard of blomfields moody wharf lanrick road e14 down the side of canning town flyover they had 2 tk flats 2 76 vabis
and a 1924 merc andabout 5or 6 110 and 111 scanias all day cabs
the last truck they had was a scania 81 which was used at ecko cold stores for years as a shunter till i bourght it then i sold it to a man in wiltshire and he had it ebay the other week any one got any pictures please

Started working for them in 1970 at that time they were running Bedford tks,kms,and scanias we ran out of moody wharf ,lanrick road poplar we were part of a company called Railroad distribution whos depot was in East Smithfield at the top of the highway.We did anything that would go on a flat and you could rope and sheet we did a bit of work for Sammy Williams carrying Komatso bulldozers on flat some of them went up to 20 ton used to make your ring pucker on roundabouts we took them to Knebworth just off the A1 no M25 it was up Archway early in the morning to dodge the ministry down the bottom of the A1. We went almost anywhere in England and Wales not Scotland asthey would not give us agencey cards we went as far as our fuel tanks would allow us there and back and that was that.It was the sort of firm that drew caricters and comedians so it was a funny place to work the guy that ran the office had a son who worked there as a driver so he had first choice of jobs and we got what was left i was at the bottom of the pile but i was young and stupid so i just got on with it.I eventually got a Scania 76 on an F plate and then went all over the shop another job was Zim containers from the terminal at the south side of blackwall tunnel (cant remember the name of the place )and run them up to Forest road Tottenham a lovely job they was a good crowd there they would not let you in the back of the box.I left them in 1972 and went back to them in 1975 it had all changed we were doing wines for bass charringtons out of three mills lane and they gave me a brand new Bedford tm one of the first in the uk went like stink when empty but loaded apeice of crap but it did sound nice .Ileft them again in 1977 it just was not the same or perhaps i had grown up and didnot want to take there crap anymore, went on to bigger and better things did 40 years looking through a windscreen and can say that at every firm i worked i learned something new and still am learning hope this has been some help all the best.