The great John Surtees R.I.P

I know it has nothing to do with wagons and drivers, but, the greatest British racing driver and rider died today. The only world champion on two and four wheels and a massive hero of mine and I am sure of a great many of you lads and lasses out there in Trucknet land. A true motor sport legend.

Check out the company he drove with and the cars he drove here.To say he was an absolute legend would be an understatement as for all of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=IsNPg6gGkJA

John Surtees was a lovely man and true legend, says Damon Hill in tribute to former F1 world champion

Nothing to do with wagons, johnfp - but nothing wrong with posting it I think. I certainly never met John Surtees, but as an ex- motorbike racer myself, I had the pleasure of riding round ‘Surtees’ - the corner named after him at Brands Hatch many times. And what a great corner it was!

Yes, I agree, his record as a champion on both two and four wheels will never be equalled, let alone surpassed. It is a travesty that he never received a knighthood. R.I.P.

I was at a classic car race meeting at Silverstone some twenty years ago, John Surtees was a guest there, over lunch we all chatted with him and I have to say he was as interested in us, as much as we were with him, as the lunch was drawing to an end, one of the other guests got up & shook his hand and said “It has been great meeting you Stirling” and walked away, one of the other guests said to Mr Surtees, that Guy has just got your name wrong, his humble reply to this was “it is always a great honour to be be mistaken for one of the greatest drivers” Great words of a man with no ego.

RIP John Surtees.

A few years back I made a delivery to a small company near Southampton. After unloading I went into the office to get my notes signed off, all around the office were photos, cups, and memorabilia of John Surtees, I asked the lady who was the Surtees fan, and what was the connection, she said she was, and she’d married him, but, they were divorced yet still friends…

Fergie47:
A few years back I made a delivery to a small company near Southampton. After unloading I went into the office to get my notes signed off, all around the office were photos, cups, and memorabilia of John Surtees, I asked the lady who was the Surtees fan, and what was the connection, she said she was, and she’d married him, but, they were divorced yet still friends…

Fergie, I think the lady you mention was Patricia Burke, daughter of Jack Burke who raced a porche during the fifties and was a good all in wrestler. His house and yard was in Botley Road, Horton Heath. Patricia had a brother John who passed away a short while ago.
Regards,Stroker.

Stroker 156 DOT:

Fergie47:

Fergie, I think the lady you mention was Patricia Burke, daughter of Jack Burke who raced a porche during the fifties and was a good all in wrestler. His house and yard was in Botley Road, Horton Heath. Patricia had a brother John who passed away a short while ago.
Regards,Stroker.

Stroker…yes, that’s the lady, and that’s the yard…Is it still going, of long gone, if it’s gone it’s probably a housing estate …

Fergie47:

Stroker 156 DOT:

Fergie47:

Regards,Stroker.

Stroker…yes, that’s the lady, and that’s the yard…Is it still going, of long gone, if it’s gone it’s probably a housing estate …

Fergie, I think the house is still there,I came through from Fair Oak the other day but never really looked, but will let you know over the weekend.
Spk, soon stroker.

Stroker 156 DOT:

Fergie47:

Stroker 156 DOT:

Fergie47:

Regards,Stroker.

Fergie, I think the house is still there,I came through from Fair Oak the other day but never really looked, but will let you know over the weekend.
Spk, soon stroker.

Cheers Stroker… :wink:

There was a very good programme about John Surtees on BBC 4 last night, made a couple of years ago. What a collection of racing bikes and cars he had. He came across as a lovely man. Pity about the presenter Paul Hollywood , I can’t stand that bloke, but the programme is well worth watching on catch-up if anyone is interested.

gingerfold:
There was a very good programme about John Surtees on BBC 4 last night, made a couple of years ago. What a collection of racing bikes and cars he had. He came across as a lovely man. Pity about the presenter Paul Hollywood , I can’t stand that bloke, but the programme is well worth watching on catch-up if anyone is interested.

watched it last night.impressive collection i agree!