John (Bernie) Etherington 1937 - 2010

i feel so sad to here john passed away,i worked with him at SCA and you could not have wished for a better friend,and funny enough i moved up here to norfolk 11yrs ago and didnt know he only lived up the road from me at wells,rest in peace johnny and may the stars shine down on you. :cry: :cry: i must have missed this thread, im so sorry i missed this posting.pls except my profound apologies,have just realized that it was his mate george wells that lived up here in norfolk at wells on sea (its the old grey matter i get confused these days)never the less i still have fond memories of john.

I came across the TruckNet forum by accident as I was doing some google searching on my Dad, he was fairly well known in his time as a driver at firms such as SCA, David Lumsden, Puxley, David Croome, MAT International, Murfitts and Coolchain, as was his brother Peter who he drove with at MAT. Sadly he quietly and unexpectedly passed away on Monday 6th December, his funeral will be held 10am Tuesday 21st December at Tunbridge Wells Crematorium. I’m glad to say that he didn’t suffer a prolonged illness like some of the sad stories we all hear of, and for those of you who knew him you’ll know he definitely had a full life.

As a son who used to travel extensively with him on my school holidays I knew there would be some old driving mates and colleagues who’d appreciate knowing of his passing, I also noticed when reading some of the topics that there is often an interest in photographs of trucks from time gone by which I’ve found plenty of when going though his possessions, I’ll upload some soon as I’ve got some that’ll probably interest old SCA and Croome drivers for a bit of nostalgia.

Thanks to Rikki for getting me a user profile so quickly

Best Regards
David Etherington

John was a good old mate of mine on SCA. Very sad news - diamond bloke. My condolences.

Thanks Harry, I vaguely remember SCA and something to do with motor racing that the business sponsored - I think he drove the pace car at one point, but that could be me piecing together sketchy memories from when I was a kid?! I’ve got a great photograph of him walking between two SCA rigs parked next to each other - I’ll fire it over at some point if you’d like.

Do me a favour and pass on the news to anyone you might know of who’s relevant.

Best to you
David

My condolences David, your dad had left Croome’s before I joined but I had the pleasure of being his TM for quite a while at Murfitts (with Lynne on doubleteam work) - a true professional and a character too R.I.P

remember doing a double man with john down to milan whilst on SCA back in the 70s and was very impressed with his driving skills and knowledge as i was a releative newcomer.

what really surprised me was how he could get a truck to go round sweeping bends like he did so smoothly / learnt a lot from him

a good driver and a good bloke / rest in peace

Hullo David,
I am very sorry to hear about the death of your father. Please accept my deepest sympathy and condolences. I knew both John and Peter fairly well, John I knew when he was on for David Croombe and Peter at MAT. Rest assured that your father was a well respected man and will be rememberd by many on this site. He was one of the best. R.I.P. John.
Kindest regards, Archie.

I just spoke to Colin Lumsden, who used to accompany your dad fairly regularly when he was a youngster and John worked for D & B Lumsden, to relay the sad news - very much of the same opinion as me as I didn’t doubt, he’ll pass on to David in due course

so sad. stay strong matey love and deepest sympathy to you and all your family
and god bless John (Bernie) Etherington 1937 - 2010 rip

This is one of those times you’re really glad to did something - I’m really glad to hear from you all and thankyou for your kind words, I’ll be sure to mention it to the rest of my family tomorrow and I’m sure that it will provide some comfort.

Best Regards
David

I was working for a Swiss outfit in Basel -Laubli’s- & your Dad turned up . I think the firm had insulted him on the phone? Anyway ,they gave John a job .He loaded the truck ,they gave him running money,he dumped the truck on the Swiss border & did a runner. I believe I gave him a lift to Dover - Never to be seen again! :laughing: :laughing:

Hi David. I only heard about Johns passing this morning. I work for Fowler Welch Coolchain at Teynham so got to know John very well. Although John came to us as a driver he spent the last few years in the yard driving the forklift and doing all manner of odd jobs. I got on really well with him and will miss seeing him about the place as will the rest of the FWC staff. He told me he had some photos that he would bring in to work to show us, but sadly never got round to it, maybe you could put a couple on here?.
On behalf of everyone here at FWC, RIP John, you were a popular and well liked chap who we will miss alot.
Rgds Mark.