Sweden. Help!

I’ve got a bit of a problem! I need to price for a job to Sweden (Simonstorp). I’ve done France, Germany and Italy, but I’ve never been up that way — not even as a tourist!

I haven’t been in touch with Harbour Shipping yet, and I wondered if any of you guys could give me a few pointers. I’ll be using a 9.2M 13T rigid.

From what I can make out, the route from the UK is probably Harwich to Esbjerg?
How do you get across Denmark to Sweden (there seems to be a ferry Helsinger to Helsingborg, or the Øresund Bridge).

Any help would be very, very welcome!

Anytime I’ve gone to Sweden I have mainly gone direct to Sweden via Harwich - Gothenburg or overland to Puttgarden (Germany) and caught the ferry to Rødby in Denmark and then you can either go across the Øresund Bridge or by ferry from Helsingør to Helsingborg. The ferry service is very good and there is never very long to wait.

You can buy a through ticket in Puttgarden which will cover both ferries, I can’t remember the cost off the top of my head as all the jobs I did were ferry paid. The bridge for your size of truck is €82.80 + VAT, one way. More details on the bridge can be found here.

You can also get a ferry direct from Germany, Travemünde - Trelleborg is one that I’ve used but not for a while so I have no details such as prices.

I also once went on a freighter from Felixstowe to Gothenburg but you really don’t want to do that, only 5 drivers on the ship and it took 48 hours to get to Gothenburg. :unamused: :imp:

Neil — I was rather hoping you might be around and read my post!

I’ll have a look at what you’ve said in detail tomorrow. More questions are bound to follow — hope you’ll bear with me! It’s these new trips that create that buzz of excitement — but I also know if you don’t do the research and price it right, they can turn into complete nightmares! And, as usual, the quote has to be turned around pdq.

No problem, if I can answer any other questions you have I will. also KW has a wealth of experience of Sweden, far more than I have, and if he is about over the weekend I’m sure he will be able to answer questions for you.

Coffeeholic:
KW has a wealth of experience of Sweden, far more than I have, and if he is about over the weekend I’m sure he will be able to answer questions for you.

Hey Neil, if the e-mail I received from KW this morning is anything to go by he may not have time to come on to this forum, I think he believes that with a bit of polishing that new Swedish Megaspace he’s taken over might suddenly transform into an FH Globetrotter XL :laughing:

That has to be a serious amount of polishing, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Oi! watch it you two!

I’ve got a spare Volvo badge laying about somewhere so I might stick that on the front and tell everyone it’s a prototype :wink:

As for the rest,my advice is to go via Travemunde/Trelleborg,that way you can get a good rest on the ship. I used to use TT-Line,but now I’m using Scandlines or Nordo-Link to Malmo and they are more freight orientated than the cruise liner comfort of TT.

I’m not sure where Simonstorp is? I think it is in Skane,which is southern Sweden.If you are going further north it may be worth considering Stena Line from Kiel to Gothenburg,a 14hr crossing.

Hope that helps.

Nice to see the merc fits in the drive ok, you been out shopping for toys for it yet?
Steve

Not you as well! Look it’s not my choice,I just have to make the best of it.

I can only go shopping for toys during the week otherwise Nicole will have a go at me.

Simonstorp is just north of Norrkoping so Gothenburg will be nearer from the ferry than Trelleborg.

You are a mine of information.
ps. can i have your fridge for my Volvo, can give you some money to buy some bits for your merc like camouflage netting if you like

I thought you’d got a fridge fitted in your Volvo? I might fit it under the bed and use it as a freezer lol

I may have an engine cover going up for auction soon.
And window deflectors.
And armrests.

I have but your one is better.
would be interested in the engine cover as the ones ive seen in Italy are not as good as your one, pm me if you want to sell, arm rests and window deflectors are on the truck

KW — thanks for your posts.

I’ll get onto Harbour Shipping tomorrow and get the prices/timetables. I’m fairly chuffed that I’m not going anywhere near a ferry tomorrow — have you seen the forecast for Monday!!! The Germany option is definitely worth some thought — I’m more likely to get a load out that way.

I’ve probably left it too late too get any help with the following as you’re all probably on your way out now.

General stuff for Sweden - Speed Limits, Overtaking, Wet ‘n Dry Rules, Weekend bans?

Snow — bit concerned about this! Is it a must to carry chains?

Expenses to build into the price — I know it’s not the cheapest country, but how bad are we talking for things like MSA food, parking, showers etc?

Thanks for your help

Answers might be too late for you now but I hope not.

Speed Limits

In built-up areas: 50kph
Outside built-up areas: 70kph

On the main national roads trucks tend to run a bit faster than that but those are the official limits.

There are no restrictions in Sweden for trucks, except in where vehicles over 3.5t gvw are banned from the controlled zone of Central Stockholm.

A lot of the main cross country roads are one lane in each direction with a hard shoulder and it is common practice for slower vehicles to move over onto the shoulder to allow faster vehicles to pass.

Dipped headlights must be used during daylight hours as well as at night.

As you are over 12 tonnes you will need the Euro Vignette for Sweden.

There is no requirement to carry snow chains.

Price wise for food etc it is about the same as Germany, I don’t recall ever having to pay for a shower but maybe I just stopped at the good places. :smiley: They don’t really have MSA’s, because they don’t really have motorways. Most services are situated just off an exit and parking is free.

Neil - many thanks for the info. Price has been accepted, so its looking good.