Anyone been to Sweden lately?

I’m going to Stockholm on Monday, I haven’t been to Sweden for about ten years, apart from a trip a couple of years back where I shipped into Gothenburg and tipped about a mile away from the port.

Has anything significantly changed? I can’t even remember if they have road tax or peages or what they do? Any other hints, tips, advice appreciated.

But you don’t need to tell me about the extortionate price of a beer, I never forget the important stuff so we’ll be calling in at the Pidou on the way! :sunglasses:

one tip if your going via puttgarden is purchase a slab of carlsberg black gold on the ferry :wink: very nice stuff indeed

Take insect repellant this time of year

travel-and-transport.com/index.html
Road user charges (tolls) for foreign heavy goods vehicles = the euro-vignette

Both from the Scandanavia link in that sticky at the top of the forum page. :sunglasses:

road tax is the same vignette as Belgium Lux etc, last time I went they were breatherlizing every driver as they came off the boat,

:cry: zero tolerance so be careful

Harry never did it in the truck only in my van. I did a few trips always via puttgarten then helsingor only once across the bridge to Malmo. Tax i,m not sure about Denmark but you,ll see the signs i think for Sweden you do pay tax i never had to pay any tax so i did,nt look too hard. Norway i belive has tolls again i went to Mo I rana via Sweden and once before Oslo also i never paid when i went to Helsinki.
Puttgarten ferry you,ll go in the drivers room and helsingor you,ll just have enough time to have a coffee so i,m not sure where the drinking time comes into it also the prices on the ferry for drinks etc are high. Puttgarten ferry is only around 45 mins so again not sure how much beer you,d drink in that time to worry about the police unless you,ve only read about Sweden

Ok i,m sorry if you get a ferry from the UK then you,ll have enough time to drink

If you ship Kiel-Gothenburg then it’s almost certain they’ll ask you to blow in the bag,it’s a 13’5hr crossing and the beer is free in the driver’s restaurant.Mind you,it’s pretty low alcohol beer,so you’d have to knock back a fair bit.

Travemunde-Trelleborg with TT-Lines depends on what time of day you ship.If you ship on the 17.15 from Travemunde,that gets you into Trelleborg around 00.30,and even Swedish customs men (Tull) don’t like working at that time of night.
They usually get you when you come off the ship at 07.30,when the ship has left Travemunde at 22.00 the night before.
Or,at 10.00 when the ship has sailed from Travemunde at 02.30.But seeing as nobody really wants to start drinking at two ‘o’ clock in the morning,they don’t get many customers.

Road tax is euro-vignette,same as Holland,Belgium,Luxembourg and Denmark.

Oh! how I miss driving Sweden!

In real life, I don’t actually drink very much so that won’t be a problem!

Barcelona Karl, good point, I have a can of insect repellant in the cab but will stock up with more at Boots tomorrow.

Hi Harry I believe Stockholm has a similar environmental ‘green’ zone similar to our own beloved capital although I didnt notice any signs even in very central areas and not had a bill yet! Worth mentioning many of the gas stations on major routes have pay to park schemes with very indistinct warning signs, but you’ll wake up with a very distinct ticket tucked under the wipers! God tur!

short walk:
Hi Harry I believe Stockholm has a similar environmental ‘green’ zone similar to our own beloved capital although I didnt notice any signs even in very central areas and not had a bill yet! Worth mentioning many of the gas stations on major routes have pay to park schemes with very indistinct warning signs, but you’ll wake up with a very distinct ticket tucked under the wipers! God tur!

i had that late last year, but as they put my truck as being russian (as i had a rus sticker on the bumper) it got thrown away, my mate didnt even notice his and it blew off going down the road!

cant add much harry, vignette the same, although i left gothenburg saturday night and there wasnt an insect problem at all there, weather has not been too good of late

try not to stare at the women, the standard has not changed in years there!!

Probably to late but maybe bring back a diary? :smiley: I love reading diaries.

Not quite too late, I’m at Harwich at the mo, waiting for the boat, I’ll try to get some pics. Thanks for the advice to all.

Harry Monk:
Not quite too late, I’m at Harwich at the mo, waiting for the boat, I’ll try to get some pics. Thanks for the advice to all.

You going to NL or straight to Denmark?

On the overnight crossing to the Hook, should be in Stockholm Thursday morning, prob reload groupage from Hamburg Friday afternoon.

Right, I’m back now, thanks to all for the help.

I can’t do a diary of this trip but here’s a photo of a typical Swedish truck.

A large rigid towing a full-size trailer on an articulated dolly. These gross 60 tonnes.

We were grossing around 22 tonnes so we just blew them away! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: