SCANIA DASH TABLE

got pulled today at beattock m74 s-bound , nowt wrong but was told if i didnt remove the dash table right now i was gettin a £30 fixed penalty …then got the safety lecture for 5 minutes , but at least he let me of, what with the speeding fine and the parking ticket 3 weeks ago , the table is now for sale , get your lucky white heather here … :exclamation:

Remove it for what purpose?
What actual offence were you comitting?

The more I read of these fixed penalties, the more I think it’s ■■■■■■■■.
Do drivers never argue with these eejits
Or accept the £30 fine then appeal it?

Seems to me these fines are just made up.

cieranc:
Remove it for what purpose?
What actual offence were you comitting?

The more I read of these fixed penalties, the more I think it’s ■■■■■■■■.
Do drivers never argue with these eejits
Or accept the £30 fine then appeal it?

Seems to me these fines are just made up.

Trouble is with that idea is that the magistrates tend to accept VOSA’s word as gospel, and you would need a VERY good legal team behind you to actually prove that they were talking pish.
Which will also be VERY expensive.

Is the table a wooden effect 1 and is your r series the latest model or pre facelift, got a mate after 1 for his 54 plate r series

mark h:
Is the table a wooden effect 1 and is your r series the latest model or pre facelift, got a mate after 1 for his 54 plate r series

no not the wooden effect one bud and its the latest model, and the offence was and i quote …‘’ impaired forward vision ‘’ . i looked it up on the vosa enforcments link and its right enough , he asked if it was taken out for the trucks mot , to which i replied yes , on that note he said cause it would have failed … he says there have been people knocked down and crushed under the truck cause you cant see out as it causes a bad blind spot , to be fair he is right it create’s a big blind spot , so its out for good now .

personally i’d go to court.
but ffs a £30 fine. the tables only cost £16.

mark h:

i got one that will fit mine is a wooden one and i used it in a 55 plate let me know if your mate is interested :wink:

Blind spot? Ain’t that what the ■■■■■ mirror is for (if fitted) and surely if there was a blind spot you’d only use when stationary. Bet the guy didn’t have a blind spot when he decided to fine you!! Does that mean sat nav is out as well? Looks like the working man will have to pay for everything as usual. :frowning:

Sent from my iPhone using my right index finger!

gadge:
he says there have been people knocked down and crushed under the truck cause you cant see out as it causes a bad blind spot , to be fair he is right it create’s a big blind spot

If you accept yourself that it creates a big blind spot, then to be honest it shouldn’t be there, and I personally think they have been fair in dealing with it by way of a warning and not by issuing a Fixed Penalty.

The trouble is that VOSA is now self-financing and so they are after as much cash as possible from us, Whereas it used to be a bit of friendly advice if there was a slight infringement, now they immediately start talking about FPNs.

limeyphil:

A Beer only costs a few quid and having one too many could result in a ban. What’s the price of the Table got to do with the size of fine?
As it turns out, the OP knew it caused a blindspot and knew it would fail the MOT if left in. just a pity it took a VOStapo Agent to make him see sense. :cry:

dinosteveus1:

limeyphil:

What’s the price of the Table got to do with the size of fine?

[zb] all. :laughing:

limeyphil:

dinosteveus1:

limeyphil:

What’s the price of the Table got to do with the size of fine?

[zb] all. :laughing:

Ah, thanks slimeyphil, thought I’d lost the ‘plot’ again :blush:

There’s shouldn’t be anything obscuring you’re view through the windscreen, that’s why everything is removed for M.O.T. These fines have been issued for years :unamused:

As mentioned above. If the vehicle’s fitted with a front-mirror I can’t see how there’s a blind spot.

I do take mine out for MOT just for less hassle,

The plastic moulding on the dash goes a good six inches above the bottom of the windscreen and the external moulded visor comes at least six inches down at the top so I guess it’s okay to obscure some parts of the windscreen if you do it at the factory or it’s to display your government tax and other licensing paper work.

if it encroaches 40 mm into the swept area of the windscreen its a test fail tax disc and o licence dont count but technichally sat navs will fail mot if its in the window .shame nobody goes round checking the cars and vans with there sat nav bang in the middle of the windscreen

I ad a driver 4 years ago before the fines given a prohibtion for it then removed prohibition after moved it

Was in test station last month and one in front failed cus of satnav luckily let him remove it

seems every test center has differing ideas on this sort of stuff :confused: when my daf was still on its dealer r&m package it went for its second test & the dealer scraped a daf sticker off which was in the cetre at the top of the screen said that it would fail , also took mike lead off cb as it was hanging down ! :imp: . a mate took his scania for test with a much bigger sticker in screen to a different test station and nothing was said :angry: another fav is on most tippers that go to the first test station they make them fit an extra fog light mounted lower than the rear lights on the chassis :confused: but our local one doesnt ! as yo would expect the fussy one is allways the last resort , i wont say which one it is but if you are from the sw you can probably geuss :wink:

davhems:
if it encroaches 40 mm into the swept area of the windscreen its a test fail tax disc and o licence dont count but technichally sat navs will fail mot if its in the window .shame nobody goes round checking the cars and vans with there sat nav bang in the middle of the windscreen

As per my previous post the problem with this is plenty of dashboard and stuff infringes this but seems to be ok on the basis it came out of the factory like that - eg top of the steering wheel but they’ve never suggested that is removed.

Although, I wouldn’t criticise VOSA too much in the incidence on this thread as a request to remove that’s actioned seems reasonable.

so if something is within the area of the sweep of the wiper, then we can be fined.
well let’s hope it dosn’t snow whilst we are in a checkpoint. £60 that driver.
when they pull in front of you, and show the “follow me sign”, then anchor on and get rid of the flies.
and whatever you don’t let the shadow of another vehicle, the suns rays, or the reflection of the moon encroach on your windscreen. you’ll get a fine.
this is england don’t you know. :laughing: