pair of clowns

Thread Resurrection!

8wheels:
They load new New Hollands out of the plant at Basildon, 3 or 4 at a time on these, they are loaded by the factory drivers. I have been seing UK reg’d DeRooy trucks lately too.

derooy.jpg And very secure it looks to :unamused:

Newmercman has given a good couple of answers covering most points, but Id suggest one further point. I dunno if it applies in this case or not, but to keep overall length of loaded wagonn`drag down:

1. reverse trailer onto bed.
  2. unhook trailer and pull wagon forward a little.
  3. raise rear of wagon, and reverse rear of wagon over top of front of trailer.
    This keeps loaded length to a minimum, and prevents the problem Wheel Nut points out of having pivot points of the two rigs in different places.
    As already said the cabs many of these trucks carry are made at Renault and are shipped across for assembly by Leyland. The cabs are mounted on custom made skids/stillages. The trucks returning to France may carry a stack of these empty stillages, other new chassis, or piggy-back a second as here. As said less driving hours, less fuel etc, and only one ferry ticket.

I’m no expert on this as I’ve never done car work but I imagine the reason they don’t drive the second truck on forwards is for the overall height, not a problem in this country but as soon as you get over the channel you’re stuffed if over 4m.

GORDON 50:
I’m no expert on this as I’ve never done car work but I imagine the reason they don’t drive the second truck on forwards is for the overall height, not a problem in this country but as soon as you get over the channel you’re stuffed if over 4m.

This man has it here. Its done to keep the height down, put it on forwards and it would be way over.
Also, although just looking at it does give the impression its going to be overloaded on that rear axle but theyre fine like that, its only going to be around 4t on the rear end. The Spanish transporter guys do the same out of the SEAT factory at Barcelona…

How is De Rooy pronounced? Anyone know? Ta.

axletramp:
How is De Rooy pronounced? Anyone know? Ta.

DeRoo…it means the red one in Dutch…

Thanks Andrew!

moomooland:
Thread Resurrection!

8wheels:
They load new New Hollands out of the plant at Basildon, 3 or 4 at a time on these, they are loaded by the factory drivers. I have been seing UK reg’d DeRooy trucks lately too.

0 And very secure it looks to :unamused:

I wouldn’t be sitting behind it!

Jan de Rooy is a (in)famous haulier from the Netherlands, who made his money running trucks across Europe (and beyond ), making the Irish boat chasers look pedestrian. In fact de Rooy never really ran to Great Britain because the time waiting for, and getting on and of ferries wasted to much running time. The man had a ferocious temper, and treated driving hours regulations as 'advisory ’ for the competition, and drivers likewise. An early adaptor of the ‘top sleeper’ concept, making a profit come before anything and everything. He later ploughed lots of money into his Paris-Dakar truck racing efforts.
Today the company employs mainly East European and beyond drivers, because they’re cheap, and still willing to drive in small cabs, away for weeks, and not fussy about complying with the rules.

Whilst in this thread were discussing the Rooy, the above info is in no way exclusive to the Rooy. Most of the big Dutch international hauliers run all, or a large part of their operation from Eastern Europe, for all the above reasons.

the nodding donkey:
Jan de Rooy is a (in)famous haulier from the Netherlands, who made his money running trucks across Europe (and beyond ), making the Irish boat chasers look pedestrian. In fact de Rooy never really ran to Great Britain because the time waiting for, and getting on and of ferries wasted to much running time. The man had a ferocious temper, and treated driving hours regulations as 'advisory ’ for the competition, and drivers likewise. An early adaptor of the ‘top sleeper’ concept, making a profit come before anything and everything. He later ploughed lots of money into his Paris-Dakar truck racing efforts.
Today the company employs mainly East European and beyond drivers, because they’re cheap, and still willing to drive in small cabs, away for weeks, and not fussy about complying with the rules.

Whilst in this thread were discussing the Rooy, the above info is in no way exclusive to the Rooy. Most of the big Dutch international hauliers run all, or a large part of their operation from Eastern Europe, for all the above reasons.

Tbf though the EE drivers De Rooy uses are happy driving for this company and the many other clog hauliers as the pay is far in excess of anything they’ll get in PL/BG/HU ect. Sister in laws brother drives for a Romanian haulier and i know someone else driving for LKW Walter and the pay is ok relative to the living costs of that country but better pay can be had elsewhere and suits many single EE guys.
Re DeRooy its still run much as it was years ago, the limiter being the first thing out the window…

joedwyer1:
I thought dafs were assembled at leyland?

All Right hand drives are assembled at Leyland ,axles and CF /XF cabs from westerloo in Belguim …The exception is the LF cab comes from Renault in Frances and LF axles come from Albion in sunny Glasgow …De Rooy have the DAF contract sewn up ,all you see in Eindhoven is his trucks …He also has Volvo /Renault and I think Iveco as well along with the tractors (farm type ) which may be New Holland ,which ties in with Iveco…It used to be brit drivers ,cant remember if it was uk reg vehicles ,but they all got paid off for cheaper east euro drivers …Maintainence leaves a lot to be desired ,and they have been in trouble with the authorities ,no doubt a google search would show it up

repton:

joedwyer1:
I have often seen these type of trucks driving down the road with another one on the back. What do they do? why is this?

They do it when they have more than one to run empty for any distance - that way you only use only lot of fuel.

Not to mention only paying one lot of wages.

B1 GGK:

bestbooties:

joedwyer1:
I thought dafs were assembled at leyland?

The cabs are brought in from Europe by de Rooys,(Polish registered!),and usually backload with finished chassis cabs,I have seen LD’s and XF’s.
Piggy backing motors is common with a lot of transporters if they have no backload or have to travel some distance to collect one.
As has been said,saves on wear and tear,tyres,fuel and driving hours.

Cabs are assembled elsewhere,
They are built from chassis at Leyland, pretty amazing how simply they are put together on the production line.
Not sure if the engines are built at Leyland or brought in from elsewhere.

If fitted with DAF’S own engines they are sent over from Eindhoven complete with the gearbox attached for a simple drop in to the chassis ,if it is the smaller ■■■■■■■ engine then the engine arrives from ■■■■■■■ ,and the ZF box is attached at Leyland after the chassis and box are painted

IndigoJo:

repton:

joedwyer1:
I have often seen these type of trucks driving down the road with another one on the back. What do they do? why is this?

They do it when they have more than one to run empty for any distance - that way you only use only lot of fuel.

Not to mention only paying one lot of wages.

One driver on break :wink:

moomooland:
Thread Resurrection!

8wheels:

0 And very secure it looks to :unamused:

That tractor has come all the way from Beauvais in France like that.

rearaxle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPAcpr41AQ

Check out the front wagon… CF daycab with a 'top sleeper’s the size of a bread bin.

Couple of DAFs with chunks of the rear of cab taken out.

De Rooy CF2.jpg

Whilst I was at TRUCK mag we had a wall of shame, the title for worst haulier was a fight between De Rooy & Dukes Transport, De Rooy was slightly in the lead with a four axle FL10 loaded with 4 SuperSpace Cab Daf 6x2 units, about 34ton payload on a 32-5ton gross lorry, he got pulled after burning out the clutch trying to get up Telegraph Hill on the A38 in Devon :open_mouth:

@newmercman, what was the problem ‘TRUCK Magazine’ had with Dukes Transport ? De Rooy has got lots of follow up on this thread, but no-one has posted anything about derogatory about Dukes even though there has been quite a few posters who worked for them up until 2000 when they shut up shop.

Regards
Dave Penn;

danalex84:
Couple of DAFs with chunks of the rear of cab taken out.

Can someone tell me why these cabs have that bit cut away? :confused:
Or have I missed that bit in this thread…