Young and Stupid

Ok, we all must’ve done some daft things in our less experienced days. I’ll give you an example of what i did years ago not long after passing my test.

I’d got a job driving an artic tipper and one of our regular loads was dust which was loaded from chute overhead, with the loadie calling you forward every few seconds as the trailer filled up. I pulled away from the quarry at 44t but the front felt really heavy. Anyway i got to the unloading site (another quarry) and sure enough there was so much weight on the front the ram couldn’t cope. It only went half way up. A little bit trickled out the back but not much. I pulled forward and then reversed at speed, hit the brakes to try to shoot the load backwards but no, it was stuck. Phoned the boss and explained, he said ‘There’s a shovel on the trailer, start digging.’ Oh, thanks’ i said.
I was contemplating this unhappy news when i noticed that the quarry was on 2 levels with a steepish ramp connecting them, and my brain started ticking and i thought ‘I wonder…?’ All a question of angles really. If the lorry is facing uphill, starting off at a 30 degree angle, even if the body only reaches 45 degrees, add that together and it should be enough to move this bloody load! Clever eh?
So, i closed the tailgate, trundled over to this ramp, handbrake, PTO and engage! Up she goes, slowly…getting higher…still no movement…higher…ram reaching it’s maximum now…little bit more… small sliding sound…and then WHUUUMP!!! The whole bloody lot crashes against the tailboard, the drive axle lifts off the ground, the lorry is starting to go sideways, i slam the lever down, the body comes down, the drive axle is back on terra firma, the lorry settles down and i need a change of underpants.
But i’ve got a smile on my face cos now i can tip. :smiley: The machine driver who wandered over for a nose however, didn’t have a smile on his face. Don’t think he could actually speak mind cos he didn’t say anything. Just sort of stared. I gave him a friendly wave and smiled sheepishly, reversed back and tipped no problem. Wahey!

But i often think back to that day and i have every sympathy for the machine driver.

Well, we all learn life’s little adventures eventually :wink:

You escaped. Would you do it again if in the same circumstances again? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing:

No silly mistakes yet as I have only just started on my driving career so please stay tuned lol

Dozens of them :wink: Im not sure if I dare post any on a public forum.

They will have to catch me first :laughing:

You’ll never take me alive! Koppa :slight_smile:

Yeah, once you’ve been ----> <---- this close to being killed at work as a sandwich between traffic and only having ones body fat to protect broken bones (although dislocated joints is permissible) it does concentrate the mind on a few things, including the stupidity of other drivers and what rushing can cause… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My back still hurts today. Although I probably just pulled a muscle loading the washing machine… :unamused: :blush: :laughing:

Saratoga:
You escaped. Would you do it again if in the same circumstances again? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing:

Ummmm… No. But i’d think about it. 15 ton is a lot ot shovelling!

Wheel Nut:
Dozens of them :wink: Im not sure if I dare post any on a public forum.

Go on, make me feel better. :stuck_out_tongue:

still young and stupid :smiley: but after being done for drink driving morning after i’ve learnt not to be as stupid any more when comes to my lisense

Ripped not 1 but 2 front bumpers off a MAN 7.5t about a month after starting with a new firm, many years ago now.

mikewhi:
Ripped not 1 but 2 front bumpers off a MAN 7.5t about a month after starting with a new firm, many years ago now.

Only 2? Slacker! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Saratoga:
as a sandwich between traffic and only having ones body fat to protect broken bones

Im going to live for ever than :stuck_out_tongue:

Not neccessarily ‘young and stupid’ but still stupid.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … +stupidest

ha spoke too soon i think, popped a tyre off a rim today backing out of one of the loading bays at Coca Cola Milton Keynes noticed it was looking a little flat once loaded so thought i would get it out of the bay sort my paperwork out then park up just outside and call the yard, needless to say i didnt get that far

DOH

PMSL! What a legend!

Did some demolition work with a Hiab on a listed building! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Still not lived it down yet! Insurance estimate to REPAIR it is £50 k!

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

I`m sat on a bay at 3663 banbury, drivers either side are looking at me laughing out loud as i read this! Classic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Clarky:
Did some demolition work with a Hiab on a listed building! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Still not lived it down yet! Insurance estimate to REPAIR it is £50 k!

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

This wasnt you was it?

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5UOSz2dBg

It might go over the heads of non locals :frowning:

Lol No NUT!

It was the old pumping station in Winchester, which is/has been converted into exclusive houses.
Well all of them are done apart from the MAIN house which I hit :blush: :blush: