Maximum fuel tank size

In another forum, it has been said that the Maximum fuel tank capacity on a HGV is 1500 litres. Can anyone come up with evidence of this ruling, as I’ve been surfing for the info for about an hour now and have unearthed nothing.
Thanks.

Didn`t they also say 999 litres max in one tank…?
From Lux to Interlaken is about 300 miles,if this helps ?

Yeah thats right, 999 in one tank, I’m in no way saying its not right, but I can’t find anything to back up this information.
In 300 miles would use around 270 litres, so from the Swiss allowed exit limit of 200 litres, I would have to refuel before Lux.

isn’t the tank size dictated by the hazcem rules i.e the max fuel you can carry without plates?

daf supply a 1000 litre tank for the xf as standard and offer a 500 ont he other side if the chassis giving 1500 litres which is an EU limit

if you carry 1000 liters of fuel in one tank ,IT changes AS YOU have now a ADR-HAZ LOAD ;THIS IS THE LIMIT where the adr-haz carriage rules and regulations start, your tanks may be of 1000 liters size
““BUT”” you can not offical fill them to the limit,as you will get done if checked and found breaking the laws ,the fines are not small plus the trouble you will get that comes ,

OFFICALY A FUEL TANK of 1000 liters WHEN FULL COMES UNDER adr-haz rules,

Tramper ,check the swiss site out ,i belive there is a contact e-mail there so send them a e-mail asking what is if any limit, as the swiss are trying there best to please3 the EU so it may be that they are not that concerned,and also what about talking to the orginisers of the truckfestival and ask for info, it may be that they do not enforce the limit as strict as before ,a year ago.

brit pete:
OFFICALY A FUEL TANK of 1000 liters WHEN FULL COMES UNDER adr-haz rules.

I’ve looked and looked, but have not happened across any information on this, there is no mention of maximum allowed tank capacity, on any of the ADR?Hazpac web sites, not even VOSA’s.

brit pete:
Tramper ,check the swiss site out ,i belive there is a contact e-mail there so send them a e-mail asking what is if any limit, as the swiss are trying there best to please3 the EU so it may be that they are not that concerned,and also what about talking to the orginisers of the truckfestival and ask for info, it may be that they do not enforce the limit as strict as before ,a year ago.

Thanks for the info Pete, I will get in touch with them and find out, although I’m sure your right.

paul b:
isn’t the tank size dictated by the hazcem rules i.e the max fuel you can carry without plates?

Apparently so, but where did you get that info from Paul? I’ve heard it said, but never found any eveidence. I’m willing to believe its correct, but I want to see the evedience.

I had a special tank made for my Eurostar 4x2 which was 1200 litres. It looked like a coffin but in 3 years of tramping all over Europe East and west I never had a moments problem. Belly tanks are what they are looking for and I have seen the gendarmes hole one before now. The only problem I ever had with it was a bit of customs interest as it had a weld at one end and looked suspicious, apart from that it survived every roadside check both home and abroad.

One point I would make about big tanks is that the constant flexing can cause leaks which with ally is not an easy thing to repair.

I didn`t think there was a limit of fuel into Swiss…? I thought that the limit might apply as left . IE;Germany or France…

if you look at the adr -haz rules for class 3 products inthis case fuel it states
when class 3 products are carried in a tank which holds 1000 liters and you have this amount inthe tank it comes under the above named rules ,tis is the reason why MAN ;MERCEDES do not do tanks in this size, Yes people may have had no problems but , if stopped and checked you will(?) can be done for this and try thinking about the fines limit as you will have no correct papperwork, no shields open.,no PPE perhaps in the wagon ,and the list grows, I will try to find the wording in english ,but all of the subbies i know here inGermany have two (2) tanks with a total of 1500, and the largest tank is
950liters, with the second being 550,

Right then, I have spent ALL NIGHT looking for the eveidence of a rule on tank capacity, and found nothing.
The 1000 litre limit appears to be for Road tankers, Bowsers and IBC’s. Nowhere is there a mention made of tanks to supply the vehicle.
Again, nowhere is there a mention of a limit of 1500 litres for the tanks to supply the vehicle, in fact 1500 litres does not figure in any of the literature I have trawled through tonight.
Unless some one can come up with documentary proof, I will consign this 1500/ 1000 litre limit to Drivers myth.

The only 1500 litre limit I know of is in France. I often heard of it but never suffered from any harrasment or checks personaly. I do know of a guy who had his lorry converted to something like 2500 litres and got caught coming over the belg/french border back from Veurne to UK one Saturday

Tramper, if you believe its a drivers myth then go an fill all your tanks to the brim and let us know what the fine costs you.

ADR regs starts at 1000 litres, whether it is Fuel, IBC or an Isotank

Home made tanks are a no no since the ec laws came into effect.

It was done to stop fly by nights building headboard tanks into tilts. ratchet strap saddle tanks to the chassis and carry half a dozen 45 gallon drums amongst the load.

There were a lot of well known companies trying to do Spain or France on the cheap using home made belly tanks, such as a 25 year old tank welded by children to trailers.

The rules now state that extra tanks have to be manufactured or approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Wheel Nut:
ADR regs starts at 1000 litres, whether it is Fuel, IBC or an Isotank. The rules now state that extra tanks have to be manufactured or approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Malc, please post a link to the bit in the regs which states this, as I’ve been through them and found nothing. Cheers.