fuel tank size

Just wondered if anyone has a link to the rules on the maximum fuel tank size on a truck , have searched but cannot seem to find a definitive answer

d4c24a:
Just wondered if anyone has a link to the rules on the maximum fuel tank size on a truck , have searched but cannot seem to find a definitive answer

At what point do ADR regs start for carrying fuel …would that have a bearing on it ■■

I can tell you In the far gone years the ferry companies would only allow a truck to have up to a 2000litre tank (if memory serves me right) . The old man used to send the old Atki over the water solo to fill up with cheap diesel to bring back overnight …and it had a skinny tall tank behind the unit which then was transferred to our road trucks when back. It saved us money back in the day.

Used to drive a 26 tonne with 800 ltr tank.

i have read that eu is 1000 litres max unless a bigger tank was an official option fitted when new, but I cannot remember when it came into force. which would be when the truck makers would only supply 1000 litres max unless stgo or other max user of fuel.

I thought it was 1500ltrs.

Not sure about ADR, but I don’t think it relates to fuel tanks as they’re part of the vehicle.

And as far as I’m aware truck makers still offer large capacity fuel tanks, just seen you can get up to 1475ltrs on the Renault T range, but obviously in 4x2 spec not enough space on a 6x2.

I thought there was something about the size of homemade tanks when travelling abroad or tanks must carry makers stamp or plate ?

d4c24a:

Hi mate,

Your search is over. :smiley:

ADR 1.1.3.3
Exemptions related to the carriage of liquid fuels

The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to the carriage of:

(a) Fuel contained in the tanks of a vehicle performing a transport operation and destined for its propulsion or for the operation of any of its equipment used or intended for use during carriage. The fuel may be carried in fixed fuel tanks, directly connected to the vehicle’s engine and/or auxiliary equipment, which comply with the pertinent legal provisions, or may be carried in portable fuel containers (such as jerricans).

The total capacity of the fixed tanks shall not exceed 1500 litres per transport unit and the capacity of a tank fitted to a trailer shall not exceed 500 litres. A maximum of 60 litres per transport unit may be carried in portable fuel containers. These restrictions shall not apply to vehicles operated by the emergency services;

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thank you very much Dave :smiley: