Fuel Tanks

Can anyone tell me if there is any limts on size of fuel tanks on tractor units? Where is the best place to get large tanks fitted? Whats the maximum size tanks you’d get on a 4x2 unit?
Thanks,
Stitch01

I’m not entirely sure, but I think I’ve read on here that the max’ size of fuel tanks is 1500 litre in total.

There are several places that do big fuel tanks, a search on t’interweb should turn up a few.
You can have them supplied and fitted on new trucks, from main dealers. So I can’t see there being any problems really. You could try asking your local main dealer about tanks too.

Stitch01:
Can anyone tell me if there is any limts on size of fuel tanks on tractor units? Thanks, Stitch01

Hi Stitch01, yes there is a limit and Simon has it spot-on at 1,500 litres.

There are a couple of different areas of law involved here, but I’ll just stick to the ADR stuff.
Here’s what ADR has to say on the matter:

1.1.3.3 The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to the carriage of:
(a) fuel contained in the tanks of a vehicle performing a transport operation and destined for its propulsion … The fuel may be carried in fixed fuel tanks, directly connected to the vehicle’s engine and/or auxiliary equipment, which comply with the pertinent legal provisions, …
The total capacity of the fixed tanks shall not exceed 1500 litres per transport unit and…

I’ve edited unnecessary length from the above :wink:

There are a couple of interesting points here that might help you.
1.) the fuel doesn’t have to be all in one tank, so you can maximise what you can carry by having more than one tank.
2.) “pertinent legal provisions” means that the fuel tanks must be “proper” and mounted correctly etc…
3.) IF you were carrying the fuel in drums, the limit would be 1,000 litres, but that’s for a different reason. To stick with your original question, the limit is 1,500 litres because of the exemption for liquid fuels at 1.1.3.3(a).
I hope this helps.

i carry 1500 ltrs on my truck, that is the legal limit before adr kicks in, i do know of a couple of owner drivers that carry more than this but to be honest i don’t think its worth running the risk, we have 32 trucks all with these tanks of a 6x2 tag axles. the tanks are made by SB Components from Wisbech, i would thoroughly recommend them, they do everything from moving air tanks to fitting light bars…

I have an sb components tank on my volvo(not mine- stobarts).
I`ve had nothing but trouble with it, the straps keep breaking or coming loose. I had to have the tank welded last year because the strap had rubbed through and started leaking.
Although the other nine “sister” motors to mine have been fine… maybe i just had the lemon?

dieseldave:
yes there is a limit and Simon has it spot-on at 1,500 litres.

So is there any scope to have larger [than 1500l] tanks if, for example, you are already running loads under ADR regs??

I have seen a couple of motors advertised in CM that are listed as having 1800 litre tanks.

marcustandy:

dieseldave:
yes there is a limit and Simon has it spot-on at 1,500 litres.

So is there any scope to have larger [than 1500l] tanks if, for example, you are already running loads under ADR regs??

I have seen a couple of motors advertised in CM that are listed as having 1800 litre tanks.

That’s a very interesting question marcustandy, the answer isn’t clear in ADR, so it takes us back to definitions.

By exceeding 1,500 litres of fuel, the exemption no longer applies. That much is clear.

The tank, being of over 1,000 litres capacity then becomes a “fixed tank.”
ADR’s definition of a fixed tank:

Fixed tank” means a tank having a capacity of more than 1 000 litres which is permanently attached to a vehicle (which then becomes a tank-vehicle) or is an integral part of the frame of such vehicle;

Notice the bold part :wink:

The next definition that applies is that the vehicle turns into a “tank vehicle” (a tanker :open_mouth: )
ADR’s definition of a tanker:

Tank-vehicle” means a vehicle built to carry liquids, gases or powdery or granular substances and comprising one or more fixed tanks. In addition to the vehicle proper, or the units of running gear used in its stead, a tank-vehicle comprises one or more shells, their items of equipment and the fittings for attaching them to the vehicle or to the running-gear units;

I couldn’t comment on the legality of such a vehicle under other Regs, but I do wonder how the dealers have tackled the ADR implications…? or whether they’ve even considered them…?

I’m guessing that the vehicles I saw advertised maybe had 2 x 900 litre tanks.

Make any difference??

marcustandy:

Make any difference??

Would exceed the limit. This is from Dave’s post above.

The total capacity of the fixed tanks shall not exceed 1500 litres per transport unit

but who actually checks■■? :wink:

Driveroneuk:
but who actually checks■■? :wink:

That’s a fair point. Who indeed?

Maybe the dealers aren’t aware of the ADR bit.
In the old days when the French, Germans and Austrians used to dip the tanks, it might have been spotted and queried.
Do you remember the “Tankschein”■■ :wink:

I remember them climbing on the step and looking at the guage (just for those who don’t know, this was because fuel was then cheaper in uk than France!) but they didn’t like you running in with full tanks [as so many foreigners do here now] because you were doing them out of fuel duty. But it was quite easy to put a 2 way switch on the guage feed, 1 way to the tank sender unit, the other to a rheostat that you then just turned to get the guage
to read whatever you wanted :wink: :laughing:

marcustandy:

Make any difference??

Coffeeholic is spot-on with this. It all turns on the fact that “the total capacity of the fixed tanks” is plural. Since the vehicle fitted with tanks of greater capacity than 1500 litres doesn’t meet spec as a “tank vehicle,” (see above) I’d say it becomes a bandit, rather than a tanker. Unusually for ADR, it’s gone around the houses to get to its point. :confused:

I’d feel sorry for whoever gets captured first…then there’d be a bit of a rear-up at the dealer’s when he got back home :open_mouth:

Thinking about it, I’m guessing that the dealer would have to take it on the chin, because the truck has to be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose doesn’t it?? It might then be argued that it’s for the haulier to ensure that the truck is legal before using it hmmm, I’m not sure.
Consumer law / Sale of Goods Act… those are well off my patch :wink:

Driveroneuk:
I remember them climbing on the step and looking at the guage (just for those who don’t know, this was because fuel was then cheaper in uk than France!) but they didn’t like you running in with full tanks [as so many foreigners do here now] because you were doing them out of fuel duty. But it was quite easy to put a 2 way switch on the guage feed, 1 way to the tank sender unit, the other to a rheostat that you then just turned to get the guage
to read whatever you wanted :wink: :laughing:

Ahh… one of the old crowd I see!! Yes, I remember the French doing that, but we always used the corridor anyway :wink: The alternative was a “donation” of 40 ■■■■ or FF20 to the pension fund.

The Germans and Austrians used to actually dip the tank and measure LxWxH to come up with the volume. At least the “Tankschein” system was fair, but it was an awful worry letting the tank run down to the initial Austrian limit of 30 litres :open_mouth: The trick was to know that they were keen on the motorway border at Suben, but more lax (lazy) at Schärding (nearby, but on a side road. :wink:

Once you had a valid Tankschein, you slightly over-declared when you went back out, you were then allowed to have the same amount on re-entry, because you could “prove” what you’d taken out last time. :wink: The more compilcated the system, the better I liked it :wink:

The EU states a limit of 1500 LITERS IS ALLOWED
so any more than the above amount and you more
than likely find yourself in trouble with the
CUSTOMS /DOUANE ; this has to be carried in
two tanks and not one, AND YES they do
check the size of the tanks.

Well lets throw a FRIGO in the equation, carrying 300ltrs ■■ you will only be able to carry 1200ltrs on the unit ■■ making a total 1500 ltrs

JJSL:
Well lets throw a FRIGO in the equation, carrying 300ltrs ■■ you will only be able to carry 1200ltrs on the unit ■■ making a total 1500 ltrs

Hi JJSL, You’re quite right mate.

Making the assumption that your question refers to an artic, ADR sets a limit on the size of a tank fitted to a trailer:

The total capacity of the fixed tanks shall not exceed 1500 litres per transport unit and the capacity of a tank fitted to a trailer shall not exceed 500 litres.

The whole vehicle is limited to 1,500 litres of fuel carried in fixed tanks, so the fact that it’s a fridge actually makes no difference.

The Germans and Austrians used to actually dip the tank and measure LxWxH to come up with the volume. At least the “Tankschein” system was fair, but it was an awful worry letting the tank run down to the initial Austrian limit of 30 litres The trick was to know that they were keen on the motorway border at Suben, but more lax (lazy) at Schärding (nearby, but on a side road.

Once you had a valid Tankschein, you slightly over-declared when you went back out, you were then allowed to have the same amount on re-entry, because you could “prove” what you’d taken out last time. The more compilcated the system, the better I liked it

I followed an Irish guy through Aachen and noticed he put 280 litres on his laufzettel. As the limit was 200 I thought he must have thought it was 300.

No he said That’s right and went to the Kassa and paid the extra. Anyway a little later i was talking to him in a fuel station and asked him why he was so honest :stuck_out_tongue:

Honest, am I? I have 900 litres of green on her :stuck_out_tongue:

I used this method all the time after that, the Germans were so pleased that the English were being honest, they just waved you through the final control when they saw you had paid the gebuhr!

brit pete:
The EU states a limit of 1500 LITERS IS ALLOWED
so any more than the above amount and you more
than likely find yourself in trouble with the
CUSTOMS /DOUANE ; this has to be carried in
two tanks and not one, AND YES they do
check the size of the tanks.

I’m not sure which EU law you’re referring to brit pete, That’s why I stuck with ADR and mentioned in my first post that there’s several areas of law involved. Does the “EU” make any mention of fixed tanks or give permission for spare fuel in jerricans??

ADR allows an extra 60 litres of fuel that can be carried in jerricans, making 1560 litres the overall limit per “transport unit.” ADR doesn’t make a distinction between a rigid, a wag and drag, or an artic due to the way that the definition of “transport unit” is written.

Wheel Nut:
I followed an Irish guy through Aachen and noticed he put 280 litres on his laufzettel. As the limit was 200 I thought he must have thought it was 300.

No he said That’s right and went to the Kassa and paid the extra. Anyway a little later i was talking to him in a fuel station and asked him why he was so honest :stuck_out_tongue:

Honest, am I? I have 900 litres of green on her :stuck_out_tongue:

I used this method all the time after that, the Germans were so pleased that the English were being honest, they just waved you through the final control when they saw you had paid the gebuhr!

I used that method very often too, but a different colour of diesel was involved. :wink: