Daft question; 70 plate seatbelt too short, worth buying an

Just had a driving assessment and been offered the job. Problem is, these new 70 Plate T-Series Renault’s have seatbelts that don’t really fit. They literally pinned myself and the driving assessor to the seat as they’re too short and there’s no play, making driving frankly awful. Neither of us are morbidly obese and he was as surprised as me. Never had this in any truck I’ve ever driven.

Would a seatbelt extender be useful as I would be cab-hopping?

They also have a stupid fixed 5th wheel, and you cannot split couple. We measured the gap and it’s so tight that you can’t jump up and fit unless you put your back to the cab. Measured 45cm between the headboard of the trailer and the tractor unit. It’s like it was made for cardboard cutouts

:laughing:
I cant help much other than for some friendly ribbing.
Not being rude but it sounds like your def on the chubby side.
Also I’ve driven all many of trailers and I have never had to split couple.

45cm is plenty of space

adam277:
:lol:
I cant help much other than for some friendly ribbing.
Not being rude but it sounds like your def on the chubby side.
Also I’ve driven all many of trailers and I have never had to split couple.

45cm is plenty of space

Don’t mind being ribbed! It’s tighter than connecting to a fridge trailer. Never seen it so close.

You’ll have either a tractor protection valve or taps on the lines. Connect the isolated suzzies and electric line befor coupling.
WTF is a split couple? Divorce?

Star down under.:
You’ll have either a tractor protection valve or taps on the lines. Connect the isolated suzzies and electric line befor coupling.
WTF is a split couple? Divorce?

Taps on the airlines?
We haven’t been trusted with that sort of technology for decades!

Andrew.simmons:
Just had a driving assessment and been offered the job. Problem is, these new 70 Plate T-Series Renault’s have seatbelts that don’t really fit. They literally pinned myself and the driving assessor to the seat as they’re too short and there’s no play, making driving frankly awful. Neither of us are morbidly obese and he was as surprised as me. Never had this in any truck I’ve ever driven.

Would a seatbelt extender be useful as I would be cab-hopping?

They also have a stupid fixed 5th wheel, and you cannot split couple. We measured the gap and it’s so tight that you can’t jump up and fit unless you put your back to the cab. Measured 45cm between the headboard of the trailer and the tractor unit. It’s like it was made for cardboard cutouts

Fifth wheel mounting should be specced by customer shouldn’t it?

On the ‘Split Coupling’ question. A lot of places have an instant dismissal and/or site ban for this (most supermarket DCs etc) so use your shunt valve if absolutely necessary. No sliding/Mavis rails I take it?

On thd seat belt question. If you cannot drive it ‘as is’ then the company should repair/adjust/replace the belts or “NO DRIVEE THE TRUCKEE”!!

Truckerian99:
On the ‘Split Coupling’ question. A lot of places have an instant dismissal and/or site ban for this (most supermarket DCs etc) so use your shunt valve if absolutely necessary.

What’s a ‘Split Coupling’? I’ve only had to couple/uncouple like 5 times in 1 year (semi-trailers so called)…

OP stop over eating and you’ll fit (eventually)

Our place was…

Strictly NO SPLIT COUPLING, instant dismissal.

Then, someone pointed out that we were over length because of the huge gap between unit and fridge as well as the fuel loss that incurs. Well waddya know, all the 5th wheels are moved up and overnight, split coupling is now allowed.

Mavis rails should be mandatory. Getting between unit and trailer in this day and age is ridiculous.

Get a seat belt extender.

ETS:
What’s a ‘Split Coupling’?

Coupling up…

But putting all the airlines on before you fully reverse onto the trailer. If you have a really close coupled fridge trailer, it’s just easier to do this rather than try and squeeze into a tight gap once you’ve coupled. Obviously this relies on the trailer brake being engaged which, 9 times out of 10 it is and not forgetting the handbrake in the unit which usually where things go pear shaped.

It sounds like the unit needs to go back to Renault dealer to be fitted with a proper seatbelt as you need to be able to move in the belt, eg: blindside reverses. Extenders could cause their own problems especially as most will be Chinese tat with faked BS markings or faked brand names.

As for 5th wheel, can’t you move it? Pretty sure the POS Renault we’ve currently got has a lever for moving it and all other trucks I’ve driven definitely have one. They likely set it ultra close by default as its “efficient”, not thinking of the driver.

Split coupling - alright unless it doesn’t go into the 5th wheel jaws properly and you move forward to reset, forgetting the lines are on. Or of course the day you forget to put the trailer brake on. If you’ve never done it, you will soon.

Btw, best idea - if its a Renault, just tell them no thanks and save yourself hours of frustration every day. I’d rather drove a 20 year old Iveco than a Renault.

yourhavingalarf:

ETS:
What’s a ‘Split Coupling’?

Coupling up…

But putting all the airlines on before you fully reverse onto the trailer. If you have a really close coupled fridge trailer, it’s just easier to do this rather than try and squeeze into a tight gap once you’ve coupled. Obviously this relies on the trailer brake being engaged which, 9 times out of 10 it is and not forgetting the handbrake in the unit which usually where things go pear shaped.

Oh, right - I’ve seen people do that and they’ve even recommended it to me as an ‘‘easier’’ way of doing it (incidentally we work with fridge trailers too so I can see why especially with the Renault which is shorter/has less space between the cab and front of trailer). I didn’t know there was a specific term for it, though :grimacing:

On the subject of split coupling, it is normally fridges that cause the problem, but these fridges are normally dropped on a bay with a complete warehouse or factory stopping them going any further back, so not much harm can come of split coupling, the trailer isn’t going to run away, backwards or forwards.

However the pointy shoe people who write the memos and final warnings have never come close to a fifth wheel and the grease it attracts.

trevHCS:
As for 5th wheel, can’t you move it?

Did you not read the O P. :unamused: :unamused:

Andrew.simmons:
They also have a stupid fixed 5th wheel

Which means the fifth wheel is bolted straight to the chassis.

it is not a sliding fifth wheel. :unamused:

country.joe:

trevHCS:
As for 5th wheel, can’t you move it?

Did you not read the O P. :unamused: :unamused:

Andrew.simmons:
They also have a stupid fixed 5th wheel

Which means the fifth wheel is bolted straight to the chassis.

it is not a sliding fifth wheel. :unamused:

Most 4x2 Units have a fixed fifth wheel, its the 6 wheelers that tend to have sliders more, but as accountants buy trucks these days, they often get their sums wrong!

Maybe they specced a shorter seat belt so they don’t need to buy XXL Uniforms at a premium price. :laughing:

i Wish I had a bit of a podgy belly , since I’ve had diabetis I’ve lost over 2 stone & I’m just bones , I’d far rather a seat belt didn’t do up that spending my days pulling my pants / trousers up , I’m in small pant & there still to big , mrs suggested kids , what some shop assistant would think to a 59 yr old bloke buying kiddies pants I don’t know
Actually op I think if you only problem is a lorry seat belt will not do up you’ve not got a lot to complain about , think yourself lucky ,

Wheel Nut:
Most 4x2 Units have a fixed fifth wheel, its the 6 wheelers that tend to have sliders more

Never come across one of those, had assumed they all had moveable ones. Checked this Renault and its got one, but it is a 6 wheeler and not exactly new.

Don’t suppose they have a garage on site? If so and you take the job, my first port of call would be them to see if there’s a way to extend it. Wondering if its just not unfurling properly due to some overlooked glitch (our DAFs had a problem caused by the belt holder angle).

Aa a side note, never liked Mavis rails as they aren’t great when you’re not tall. Cant get the pressure on the airlines connectors as they are more shoulder height.

As a sprightly class 2 driver who is accustomed to regularly decoupling my buttocks from the seat, I daresay both these problems sound somewhat chub-induced despite your statements to the contrary. Seatbelt asphyxiation and being too plump to fit between the cab and trailer are not problems typically experienced by those of ferret-like proportions.

But I hope a solution is forthcoming as we know that ‘Fat Lives Matter’ too. If all else fails, I would suggest that six months of working for Palletways might solve the problem.

dozy:
i Wish I had a bit of a podgy belly , since I’ve had diabetis I’ve lost over 2 stone & I’m just bones , I’d far rather a seat belt didn’t do up that spending my days pulling my pants / trousers up , I’m in small pant & there still to big , mrs suggested kids , what some shop assistant would think to a 59 yr old bloke buying kiddies pants I don’t know
Actually op I think if you only problem is a lorry seat belt will not do up you’ve not got a lot to complain about , think yourself lucky ,

I know this discussion is about seat belts but have you tried a trouser belt?

I have to wear one daily now as I’ve popped the button off all my three pairs of work trousers and refuse to move up to XL (I would rather try and get back to my pre-Covid weight).

Ye im not buying the op.

If it was just a seatbelt or just a trailer gap issue then fine.
Seems a little odd it’s both though :grimacing: