How the hell did this happen?!?

Ey up

Had an assessment today with XPO/British Gypsum down in East Leak which went well. Just need to hear back from them.

Saw this pic. How is this possible? if there’s a serious amount of weight in the first 10% of the trailer then yes may be but i’m confused.

Too much weight on the headboard and nothing on the back, drop trailer and drop trailer literally.

DOZY!!!

simcor:
Too much weight on the headboard and nothing on the back, drop trailer and drop trailer literally.

■■■■! so it’s still possible. Because i was thinking that the back axles have some weight and then you got the legs.

Surely this would’ve happened before coupling up as well because you start loading from the headboard obviously.

Looks a bit photoshoppy to me but I have seen it happen for real. 6 0r 7 tonnes up to the headboard with nowt on the back of the trailer and they will certainly tip forward like this when dropped (or when loaded with heavy pallets/IBC’s by forklifts on bays with no tractor unit under). The reason I think it’s a photoshop is cos in real life there would be all sorts of debris on the road in front of the trailer where it tore off the back end of the unit as it was uncoupled :laughing:

Shrek:
Looks a bit photoshoppy to me but I have seen it happen for real. 6 0r 7 tonnes up to the headboard with nowt on the back of the trailer and they will certainly tip forward like this when dropped (or when loaded with heavy pallets/IBC’s by forklifts on bays with no tractor unit under). The reason I think it’s a photoshop is cos in real life there would be all sorts of debris on the road in front of the trailer where it tore off the back end of the unit as it was uncoupled :laughing:

Can’t be photoshopped because the rear wheels have a lot of gap in the arches compared with when its grounded.

alamy.com/eastbourne-englan … 22535.html

More pics here

Shrek:

depends how quick he pulled out - ooh! Matron :open_mouth:

ibby730d:
Surely this would’ve happened before coupling up as well because you start loading from the headboard obviously.

Not if it was loaded while it was coupled up.Then dropped in a lay by for whatever reason.It obviously hasn’t fallen off while running.

Ever seen trestles or similar to be put under the neck of trailers dropped on loading bays? This is why.
A few pallets on headboard, plus a heavy FLT…can cause serious injury to those inside.

I see this happened in Oct’ 2018. I hope the “journalists” have better language skills now.
“British Gypsum artic lorry back topped over with wheels off the ground”

At the other extreme I have seen a dropped trailer with excess weight right on the arse end. The yard foreman pushed up the front, and the legs left the ground…
Long time ago there was a serious accident near Winchester. Long steel normally carried on a trombone or overlength trailer was on a standard 40ft flat. Bit of bouncing, unit drive wheels had no weight imposed on them. I seem to remember to as fatal for the driver.
Edit
Purely from memory, so likely inaccurate, that was late 60’s or early 70’s? Correct trailer was in for MoT test?

Would not take much weight on the front end for it to happen considering the distance of the legs from the front,suspect its depends on what units are used to keep the outfit legal length wise. Irrespective of that its down to driver negligence and incompetents, for not knowing better.

Very roughly: 13.6m trailer is 7,000kgs. Each axle is 600kg each wheel and tyre 100kg. I’ll split axle assembly from chassis/body: Axles are 2,400 so body 4,600. Assume CofG body is midpoint.
Legs are 4m from headboard and tri-axle is 5.5m behind legs.
Taking moments about legs:
Body 2.8 x 4,600 = 12,800 kg.m
Axles 5.5 x 2,400 = 13,200 kg.m
So 26,000 kg.m behind legs.
Four m in front so CofG of load is 2m
26,000 ÷2 = 13,000 kg.
8 vmf pallets at 1,600kg you’re on the limits. Load pallets with a truck running inside you’re in trouble.
Bricks? Small heavy packs loaded tight to headboard, you’re in trouble.

Had that happen to one where I am. We load with six packs of chipboard in stacks of two. Each pack is 4.5 tonnes. They’re roughly 3.5 metres long each. When you pull out from under the trailer even though you’ve put all the weight on the landing legs you can see the front of the trailer drop a couple of inches and when you look at it from the side you can see the trailer droop slightly to the front. When they’re unloaded at our spot the forkies do it in a specific order, usually starting with the top pack on the middle stack to ensure that until they get to the last pack there’s always weight behind the legs. They don’t just start at the rear and work to the front as that’d mean basically 9 tonnes in front of the legs and nothing behind. Same with loading, bottom layer front to back put on first then the top even though they can pick up two packs at a go. I guess the one it happened with it must’ve been a fairly new forkie who did it wrong.

Whenever we dropped a trailer in Europe they insisted you lower the trailer suspension and raise the unit then lower the legs, it prevented the legs been strained, it stopped the trailer tipping over and they relied on wheel chocks, not spring brakes.

Well it’s obvious isn’t it . Some ‘Built like a ■■■■ house’ truck driver desperate for the toilet found a trailer blocking his way .