My trailer sunk. lol

Hi guys fairly new too trucking. Well so is my depot! I managed to find a soft spot in our depot and with a fully loaded trailer I uncoupled to go fuel up. Came back to find a sunken ship…lol special thanks to lanterns who help raise it so I could get under it while ■■■■■■■■ myself . The trailer almost fell on its side twice. It’s been 3 days and the first time I uncoupled in that area with a loaded trailer. Won’t be parking there again. The trailer managed to survive minus a bent handle for my legs and bent bar it’s given the all clear.

Question Time. Now I’m nervous to uncouple with it fully loaded. Guys is this okay to uncoupled while loaded. Plus I fill my own lorry up as got jcb license. Is it safe to fill my trailer up while its on its legs. Is it safe to pound at the contents as we have to really pack these trailers or would this put stress on be legs. I’m still in shock from the trailer sinking. But got a laugh. Lol.

20150518_185913.jpg

20150518_185909.jpg

I think you were a tad unlucky there dude. There’s nothing to say that the Tarmac there is crap, but in future it might be a good idea to carry either a couple of lengths of timber to put lengthways under the landing leg wheels or a couple of timber pads to put under the feet if that’s what you have prior to dropping, it spreads the weight out and reduces the chances of it happening again.

For what it’s worth you should be able to safely load a dropped trailer as long as a bit of common sense is used, ie don’t put 4x 5 tonne pallets on first!

No need to thank Lanterns. They won’t be doing that on the cheap!
Trailers are designed to be loaded without a unit underneath so loading it on its legs is fine. It may be a better practice for you to start loading from the back to front instead of front to back.

Its looks like a landfill trailer so i would not suggest loading waste into it and pounding it down without a unit under.

Thanks guys it’s all loose Co mingle recycling no pallets. Yea I figured the back would be filled first. As for being unlucky I have smashed many mirror in my time. We do have solid concrete but on that day there was no space. A lesson learnt for myself and all my Co workers. Lantern saved my ■■■ and my boss from bigger bills as our trailers are rented from Hevrins. With only a damaged bar underneath and a bent handle think we can all learn a lesson this is new to our company. We are a council. Not haulage but decided to transport residents recycling from our depot in Mill Hill and transport to biffa. Thanks for your advice. I’m a little nervous to uncouple now but I guess Friday I’ll have to uncouple for fuel and workshop repairs. Gulps. Thanks again

mrginge:
Its looks like a landfill trailer so i would not suggest loading waste into it and pounding it down without a unit under.

Landfill trailer? Confused sorry. It’s got a walking floor and is use too us pounding it full of recycling. Cardboard paper bottles etc but I have yet too fill it without a unit on and just want some assurance if I take my unit off this weekend for workshop can I still fill my trailer as usual while it’s sitting in its legs. I can fill it without pounding it just need some opinions. Ta

Fill it but don’t pound it, I used to pull a push out & would often drop it so the 360 could load it with general waste, while I tooted off home for lunch, every 6ft or so he would pound it, eventually pounding it to level it off. We found after a few months of doing this that the legs were starting to come up through the floor.
So only pound it with the unit underneath.

When you drop it loaded, the trailer can weigh 37ish tons, (tractors 7.5t) so you’ve potentially got more than 10 tons pressing down on the legs, that’s why it sank. [emoji22]

Thanks that’s sound advice ill be gentle:)

Fair one for owning up and showing pics. You may have just stopped someone else making the same mistake. Don’t do it twice though[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

You can buy a special support to wheel under and replace the unit if you want to fill up at the front uncoupled.

You can wheel them under without having to crawl under yourself. They will also spread the weight more and significantly reduce the sinking risk.

As this all sounds a bit like a council wasting money, and they usually love health and safety, I’m sure they would be happy to spend some more on one of these.

Trailer in our yard lol

Makes mine look minor. Lol. I feel better. Ta

tango boy:
0Trailer in our yard lol

WTF :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Is it just me,or does that bulk trailer look like its full of giant spectacles?

seth 70:

tango boy:
0Trailer in our yard lol

WTF :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Our yard is on where the old pit used to be, the wheel looks like it is cus the axle had snapped and the trailer was recovered back to the yard, it wasn’t my trailer :wink: :wink:

eagerbeaver:

Lol no actually they are car doors there’s a brakers yard next door lol

eagerbeaver:

Bet they didn’t see the sinking coming [emoji165]

Before the times of cheap cameras and mobiles. Severnside waste paper down by the Feeder in Bristol we had one like Tangos, but the best one was when the roof of the bunker gave way. The whole trailer disappeared :open_mouth:

I dropped a trailer in a mechanics garage yard, lots of trailers there, hard surface.
I had ceramic tiles at the front, about a quarter of a load.
It sank like the Titanic, with the back end sticking up.
I had to unload it by hand, fork lift it up, restack the load.
Was soft ground under the surface.

tango boy:
0Trailer in our yard lol

Jeez…dear Go…, what the hell? Typically tipper. Overloaded and punches straight through Mother Earth with the legs sticking out in some desert in Australia. Or did your yard get “people who like to travel” to do your concreting?