Dpd long haul

Been offered a job at DPD carlise long haul… Anyone work there? Is it decent?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I think you mean Linehaul.

Yes it’s a decent company. Everything done properly, other than the boredom of going the same route it’s an easy job. Lots of monitoring though and if you need to deviate from route or want to stop for the toilet you have to ring in and get a number which you put on your run sheet. If you’re going to be going to Smethwick there’s a very decent driver’s restaurant. Not sure if they still do it but when you started you used to be sent to Smethwick for a week to do driver training, being put up in a quite decent nearby hotel for the week, paid night out money and also travelling costs.

Conor:
I think you mean Linehaul.

Yes it’s a decent company. Everything done properly, other than the boredom of going the same route it’s an easy job. Lots of monitoring though and if you need to deviate from route or want to stop for the toilet you have to ring in and get a number which you put on your run sheet. If you’re going to be going to Smethwick there’s a very decent driver’s restaurant. Not sure if they still do it but when you started you used to be sent to Smethwick for a week to do driver training, being put up in a quite decent nearby hotel for the week, paid night out money and also travelling costs.

Sorry Linehaul… You any idea how many hours you d average a week… Money seems ok but interviewer could nt tell me how many hours i would be doing as all routes are differant… Overtime over 40 hours would be ideal.

chrismoreland07:
Sorry Linehaul… You any idea how many hours you d average a week… Money seems ok but interviewer could nt tell me how many hours i would be doing as all routes are differant… Overtime over 40 hours would be ideal.

It’ll be over 40hrs but it won’t be the same hours all year round. The way the company works the quieter it is the longer hours you end up doing. When it’s busy your trailer gets filled at the hub quicker and they’ll put on additional runs to your depot so you get to leave quicker. Around Xmas run up it’s usually the case you literally get a 45 off and you’re heading back so it’s down there, drop trailer, fuel and park up unit, paperwork into office, 45 off, pick up return trailer whereas during normal periods you’d have a few hours or if you were the only/last trailer going to your depot you’d be there until the end of that night’s sort roughly around 5am.

Good luck getting from Carlisle to Hub 4 in one hit. Expect to be recovered from Corley services a few times a week :smiley:

Been there 3 months now.

As long as you do your run with no messing around, noone even rings you or contacts you ever.

Ive had about 3 phonecalls in 3 months.

Basic 40 hrs pay is ok, but the overtime makes it very lucrative if your run involves longer hours and Id say from Carlisle you will be doing 11-12 hrs a day?

You will be earning 40k easy :slight_smile:

Cheers… Whats the driving assesment like… Got mine tonorrow

Quite strict on the checks.

Make sure you check all tyres and nuts, lights, ask the assessor to check your brake lights etc. Make sure you make a point of checking the height meter especially if they get you to use a single deck trailer and a double deck trailer.

The drive may be yard only at the moment due to covid, not out on the road as the assessor wont even get in the cab with you.

Mine was basically hook up to 2 trailers and back both on a bay. Nothing on the road.

Make sure you check the brake button on trailers before you hook up.

Hope this helps.

Swordsy:
Quite strict on the checks.

Make sure you check all tyres and nuts, lights, ask the assessor to check your brake lights etc. Make sure you make a point of checking the height meter especially if they get you to use a single deck trailer and a double deck trailer.

The drive may be yard only at the moment due to covid, not out on the road as the assessor wont even get in the cab with you.

Mine was basically hook up to 2 trailers and back both on a bay. Nothing on the road.

Hope this helps.

Cheers pal… Good to know… Just a basic yard check then.

Each to his own,.and I suppose 40k would go a long way to putting up with it.
But having to phone to stop,… and worse when wanting to go to the bog? :open_mouth:
Is the uniform short kecks, blazer and 50s school cap Jimmy Crankie style?
Not for me, I’m oot, got used to being a grown up, don’t want to go back to being 12 yrs old thanks.
Another example of something that should have been nipped in the bud by their drivers from day 1.

When dropping the trailer make sure you drop the air out the unit before pulling out… and check the pin/height etc when picking one up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robroy:
Each to his own,.and I suppose 40k would go a long way to putting up with it.
But having to phone to stop,… and worse when wanting to go to the bog? :open_mouth:
Is the uniform short kecks, blazer and 50s school cap Jimmy Crankie style?
Not for me, I’m oot, got used to being a grown up, don’t want to go back to being 12 yrs old thanks.
Another example of something that should have been nipped in the bud by their drivers from day 1.

Only phone up after I have stopped and back on the road. Just give you a reference number put on running sheet.
Tracked but never chased or questions asked.
Only time get phone calls is if job changes or no tracker in cab, asking for departure times from customers.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Had a chat about a job there recently, sounded a bit dull to me just trudging up & down the M6 everyday to Hinckley so gave it a swerve. The money looked good though.

Are we talking good money per hour or good money assuming 40 hours + plenty of overtime? Kind of starting to look for another job myself but their web site seems bugged at the moment so I can’t apply direct from there. They’re advertising night and weekend shifts, I suppose there’s a little extra £ for those or not worth it over days/weekdays?

It’s good money and really easy work but not the most exciting as it’s the same run every night.

TBH I thought it was a great job for the money and the only reason they want you to ring them up if you’re stopping is because it’s mail and they need to know you’re not helping yourself, or someone else is helping themselves and you’re helpless

It’s a great job for newbies as well. If you’re stuck with a bad bay or it’s tight etc you can dump the trailer and the shunters park it for you. Great motivator to learn how to do it yourself

ETS:
Are we talking good money per hour or good money assuming 40 hours + plenty of overtime? Kind of starting to look for another job myself but their web site seems bugged at the moment so I can’t apply direct from there. They’re advertising night and weekend shifts, I suppose there’s a little extra £ for those or not worth it over days/weekdays?

I can’t remember the exact figure but I was told around £11.50ph basic, then it was just over £17ph after 40hrs. Additional couple of quid per hour on top after 6pm. This was at Middleton.

good_friend:
It’s good money and really easy work but not the most exciting as it’s the same run every night.

TBH I thought it was a great job for the money and the only reason they want you to ring them up if you’re stopping is because it’s mail and they need to know you’re not helping yourself, or someone else is helping themselves and you’re helpless

It’s a great job for newbies as well. If you’re stuck with a bad bay or it’s tight etc you can dump the trailer and the shunters park it for you. Great motivator to learn how to do it yourself

i’ve always preferred to do a ‘regular’ run,whether on days or nights.the Dpd driver that i talk to on the boat,does Isle of Wight to Oldbury depot and back every night!

rob22888:

ETS:

I can’t remember the exact figure but I was told around £11.50ph basic, then it was just over £17ph after 40hrs. Additional couple of quid per hour on top after 6pm. This was at Middleton.

Alright, thanks. Doesn’t seem that exciting, though :cry: Unless they put you on nights and give you 50 hrs per week. I’m looking at either Hinkley or Oldbury so the runs are probably going to be short with few hours.

Hinkley tend to be ‘home’ drivers so they do have variety for them. They also use to do some tramping from Hinkley so worth checking although it’s been some time for me so all may have changed