DPD

DPD are recruiting for class 1 drivers in their Glasgow & Edunburgh depots if anyone is interested. The adverts are on the Indeed website.

What are their Class 1 ops like, btw? As I’ve worked for them before, I was considering them being an option in the future when I do my C+E, but not without hesitation. There is absolutely zero care given to safety on their vans - making you drive 13 hours straight, try to make you drive defect vehicles, etc. I’d hope that their wagons are run properly?

I’ve no idea don’t work for them, I’d guess it’s straight forward trunk work.

Yeh as far as I can see, most of it is hub-to-hub night trunking with decker trailers. Piece of ■■■■, but I don’t trust their attitude to safety.

We have a guy in our place every night drops and swaps quite competently he seems quite happy with the job i think he is based around Coventry his grasp of english isnt great but he is an ok bloke though.

I used to do the hub…

On nights for them. Down to Brum, drop it on a bay, four or five hours kip on the bunk, find your return trailer, couple up and go back.

iomex:
What are their Class 1 ops like, btw? As I’ve worked for them before, I was considering them being an option in the future when I do my C+E, but not without hesitation. There is absolutely zero care given to safety on their vans - making you drive 13 hours straight, try to make you drive defect vehicles, etc. I’d hope that their wagons are run properly?

Linehaul is absolutely nothing like collection and delivery because donkeys years of a decent union presence at Smethwick ensured it. Not expected to drive defective vehicles that are VOR, if you’ve a minor defect you report it when you get there and it either gets fixed at the workshop onsite or they give you another unit to return in. Periodically when you go you’ll be told to take your unit to the workshop for servicing.

Your routing is such that you don’t run bent hours and aren’t expected to.

iomex:
Yeh as far as I can see, most of it is hub-to-hub night trunking with decker trailers. Piece of ■■■■, but I don’t trust their attitude to safety.

Not true in my experience, I go to a few places large online retailers, and also a DPD night trunker I’ve got to know over the years. They do a few multi-collections go back to depot, drop trailer and take a new trailer to a hub rather be it an Interlink or DPD depot depends on your run.