The range

Hi all.

Anybody worked for the range before class 1 ?
Whats it like ?
Been offered some saturday work are the loads all strapped down for you etc?

Cheers topcat

Topcat1522:
Hi all.

Whats it like ?

Cheers topcat

Which site, and is it their trucks [Gregorys] or a subbie ?

If its their kit, you strap it down

The trucks won’t be top of The Range though :blush:

Stanley Mitchell:

Topcat1522:
Hi all.

Whats it like ?

Cheers topcat

Be there trucks mate and avonmouth distribution centre

DAF95XF:
The trucks won’t be top of The Range though :blush:

You are right there, Scania to Daf @ Thorne :blush:

Topcat1522:

Stanley Mitchell:

Topcat1522:
Hi all.

Whats it like ?

Cheers topcat

Be there trucks mate and avonmouth distribution centre

You strap it down for sure, its in their T&Cs :open_mouth:

We do a bit out of AVM, its DHL running the DC, so the waiting times can be horrendous, and GDL for the transport…

Back in August 2018 you asked about The Range, as you had some work lined up for the week after so not sure what you’re asking for unless it fell through. Btw only looked through your previous posts to see where about’s you’re from.

Anyway I’ve got experience of The Range (Gregory’s) up at Thorne. It’s steady work but no the load isn’t secured for you (often the loader has moved the internals to somewhere close to where you’ll need them but obviously it depends on the loader) and they expect it to be done and do check things like time you start to time you leave to see if you’re doing it properly along with your checks. Not sure why you wouldn’t do it anyway, if nothing else you’re getting paid. When I was there I also heard about a lad who got pulled who hadn’t secured some pallets of very light store rubbish that you’re required to bring back to the rdc. We’re talking pallets light enough that you could usually move about and offload by hand. Apparently the driver got a fine plus a warning from plod that they’d be on the look out for Range trucks in the future. A lot of the time weekend runs consisted of store deliveries and running empty to a fulfillment centre (larger furniture, that kind of thing) they have at Rugby for a collection.

Even if loaders do strap it down like they do where I’m at you still want to go round and check them all because whilst a few of them will put them on nice and tight, many of them will just put them there half tight and every now and again you get a stack where it would be better if they were placed slightly differently, especially if you have a wide stack with a narrower pack on top as sometimes they’d put the straps so they restrain the wider part fine but nothing over the narrower pack.

Never trust anyone else to have secured a load properly. I’ve picked up trailers in the past other drivers I’ve trusted to do the job properly have loaded only to find when I’ve opened the curtains to check that they didn’t secure it properly and in a couple of instances not at all. The company will expect you to check the load is secure and if anything happens to the load the police and management will blame you, not the loaders or the previous driver if there was one.

Some of the runs are to Pembroke Dock or Fishguard for ferry to Ireland and need even more checks. The work’s ok, but don’t trust their maps. I ask, use a decent truck-nav and check on google earth. Some places you need to reverse into or out of, most you can turn in. Ask.

Dunno but was in one of their stores today & they’ve literally got everything rammed in there. Didn’t know where to look. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nettrucker:
Back in August 2018 you asked about The Range, as you had some work lined up for the week after so not sure what you’re asking for unless it fell through. Btw only looked through your previous posts to see where about’s you’re from.

Anyway I’ve got experience of The Range (Gregory’s) up at Thorne. It’s steady work but no the load isn’t secured for you (often the loader has moved the internals to somewhere close to where you’ll need them but obviously it depends on the loader) and they expect it to be done and do check things like time you start to time you leave to see if you’re doing it properly along with your checks. Not sure why you wouldn’t do it anyway, if nothing else you’re getting paid. When I was there I also heard about a lad who got pulled who hadn’t secured some pallets of very light store rubbish that you’re required to bring back to the rdc. We’re talking pallets light enough that you could usually move about and offload by hand. Apparently the driver got a fine plus a warning from plod that they’d be on the look out for Range trucks in the future. A lot of the time weekend runs consisted of store deliveries and running empty to a fulfillment centre (larger furniture, that kind of thing) they have at Rugby for a collection.

Cheers tony