Anyone on/done DHL Class 2?

Hi Guys,

Been told that there is a vacancy for Class 2 drivers at a local DHL depot and am considering it.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of what kind of thing they do with their class 2’s? Is it mainly locals? could I expect long distances, nights out?

Not tooooo bothered about the money, just fancy giving working for a bigger company a try, getting out of the local area etc.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

I’m currently on the agency for DHL,doing a mix of class1/2,and whereas the depot I run out of is mainly day runs,and anything up to 10 drops on class 2,I have done a night out or two with them on class 2,with about 3 drops on.

Ken.

If its DHL as in parcels, vans etc… its typically going out local area covered by the depot delivering the bulky stuff.

I did it for years before i got my class 1 was ok never heard of nights out though with it.

did a couple of runs out of eurocentral before… each time it was a run up to Aberdeen with 4 drops … easy peasy … no hassle from the office staff… few of the full timers that i spoke to had the usuall gripes u get everywhere but most where happy enough…

Scarab
you need to be a little more specific about the DHL depot your on about, to know what the contract/work is.

DHL are like all the other big players, they gear up differently for indevidual contracts & depots

Peirre,

The depot, I don’t know too much about, its the Hailsham one on the Diplocks industrial estate.

I believe, but am not certain, that this is some sort of satellite depot for the Redhill/Crawley depot.

I’m afraid the job is a bit of a MMTM so I know very little, which is why I asked here before I give them a ring in the morning.

Alex

man-tga:
did a couple of runs out of eurocentral before… each time it was a run up to Aberdeen with 4 drops … easy peasy … no hassle from the office staff… few of the full timers that i spoke to had the usuall gripes u get everywhere but most where happy enough…

i have worked for the same depot although on class 1. its mostly industrial estates delivering palletised goods fairly locally. i did do a lot of class 2 work out of the andover depot when it was securicor omega. they did send wagons out as far as crawley but they are due back at base by around 6 at the latest unless something goes wrong. you will be doing collections as well as deliveries and they need them back so they can send them out on the night trunk. if its busy there can be a lot of pressure so just do your best

Thanks for the replies guys. Reckon I might give it a miss, I’m more after something with a decent amount of travelling and some nights out as well.

Thank you anyway, helped me make my little mind up!

Alex

Its a huge company ive worked for at least five different DHL operations and everyone is different.

Best bet would be to apply for it find out, it maybe the job you are looking for and DHL if they are looking for full time drivers do a lot of in house recruiting when i was there. I started out van driver, then 7.5 tonner, then class 2.

Even if your just slightly interested or curious should put in an app, then at least you can find out what the job is about. Might be what your looking for might not. Going in with a class 1 licence maybe start you on class 2 to fill the vacancy then move you onto class 1 and nights out. Espec since in a lot of these places supposedly they stuggle for night out drivers, since a lot of drivers go for it because they are home after every shift.

Kenny1975:
I started out van driver, then 7.5 tonner, then class 2.

must be true what they say. its not what you know but who you know. the first shift i did from eurocentral i went out in a TGA. the very one driven by our very own Kitkat from this site. i went down to dumfries with something like 3 drops and a backload which got cancelled. thinking back to securicor in andover i was dreading it. i have to admit though, it was a very gentle breaking into multi drop again. it did get worse though. the classic was what i thought was a company name, address was an industrial estate in glasgow. thanks to a very helpful security guard we discovered it was a radiator which narrowed it down to 3 companies and it was a persons name, not a company name. multi drop is notorious for rubbish addresses

Never worked outta Eurocentral, been there a few times dropping off loads of pallets when i was doing class 2 work years ago.

I worked outta Bellshill Industrial estate in the parcel place, i went for a job as a van driver doing the backshift delivering and picking up mail for banks, went for interview and he saw on my CV i had done some 7.5ton work before and offered me a different job doing half van work, half 7.5 ton work.

When i was in there, there was internal vacancies for stuff like class 2 drivers. If you didnt have the licence you would apply for the job anyways and if you were successfull would put you through your class 2. A lot of guys started out in DHL doing one thing and ended up doing something else, including getting ADR’s and licence upgrades it was possible.

Saying that its a huge company, can be a really good company to work for or a really bad one depending on which part of it you are working. if going for a job on a contract in DHL/Excell prob be shop work and stuck there forever.

Even the likes of DHL/Excell doing Sainsburys in East Kilbride, was in there a few weeks ago having a ■■■, and was talking to some guys out the warehouse they were asking about what it was like to drive an arctic. Some of the guys out the warehouse are being put through their HGV licences.

Sounds strange in 2008 companies still putting drivers though their tests.

Guess my point for the OP is, depends on the DHL it is but could go in as a class 2 driver and end up with a class 1 job doing what you want to do.

You need to find out if it’s a DHL Express Job or a DHL Logisitics (Exel) job, the former would most likely be the kind of pallet deliveries already mentioned, the latter could be just about anything!

Hopefully it’s something different, but I know a couple of the Exel depots round this way have just started on a new contract with Ikea, delivering flat packed home furniture. Though they aren’t overly keen on mentioning it in their adverts. Can’t understand why? :smiling_imp:

Good luck Mate!

iceland / booker livingston RDC is dhell exell … shop deliverys and pain in the wotsit…

place is a dump

was offered a job through agency today with dhl doing class 2, temp to perm in 10weeks if it suits, £475 nights, starting at 18.00 doing a run night out then back for 08.00, monday to friday (sat am) its for the heathrow depot orbital park anyone no anything about this, its ideal as its on the doorstep but misses aint to keen as she works different shifts so probably wont see her much, i said it could lead to something better with them, any views, cheers guys.