HGV1 Night out Allowance

Hi folks,
First post on here. Is the overnight subsistence allowance a legal requirement? I don’t need to know about the tax implications as I know its tax free and that the current rate is £26.20/night.

I am a new driver. I lost my previous job of just over a year, due to a stupid error (no truck damage at all).

I have just started working for a small haulage company - needs must.
The pay is very low(£120 per shift, not per hour before tax) and very long hours ie averaging 12-13hrs.
No extra rate for working weekends or public hols.

I work weekends Fri-Mon’s as a night tramper.
I am not sure if I will stay with this company but it is good experience although I feel they are taking advantage? TIA.

No, there is no legal requirement for employers to pay “night out” money.

Ok. Thanks for that. Guess I will need to start looking for new work as I was previously getting night out money,decent hourly rates for weekends, Sundays etc.

Got to be better paid weekend work out there somewhere! I knew paying per shift not by the hour, was going to work out a pittance, by the time you wait to be tipped, road diversions etc. Lol.
Worst paid job I have ever had!

Roymondo:
No, there is no legal requirement for employers to pay “night out” money.

I think there is

Perhaps others can shed light on this so am going to move it to the PDF

The class of vehicle makes no difference to the amount paid.

I was going to comment here but as the answer is only a 3 second google search away, for both you and your employer, I won’t bother :smiley:

I get 25 a night . Been on 25 a night for 4 years now.
Should be more really
Average 1 night a week sometimes 2.
Your looking at £7 for tea
Same again for breakfast and again for dinner
Can easily spend about 20.

Suppose if your at a decent company that pays parking. And you get a free/ discounted evening meal wouldt be to nad

There’s no legal obligation for an employer to pay night-out money but why on earth would a driver do a night out if he/she wasn’t being paid for it?

Harry Monk:
There’s no legal obligation for an employer to pay night-out money but why on earth would a driver do a night out if he/she wasn’t being paid for it?

Sometimes it’s just easier than staying at home with the earache :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

Exactly.
I’ve never heard of any tramper not getting night out money, if what he says is true, he’s well and truly getting stitched up.

Harry Monk:

When I was a new driver, I put up with all sorts of ■■■■ takes simply to get that magical “one years experience”. ■■■■ takes that I wouldn’t tolerate now, and that includes nighting out for no extra money.

To the op, use and abuse this company until you find something better. There is no loyalty in this industry so dont feel bad when you walk out the door.

I work weekends Fri-Mon’s as a night tramper.
I am not sure if I will stay with this company but it is good experience although I feel they are taking advantage? TIA.
[/quote]
You say you are a night TRAMPER. I don’t suppose you mean night TRUNKER do You?
If you are doing nights, but returning to your depot at the end of every shift and then go home until you start your next night shift, then you are not entitled to overnight allowances. You should get an enhanced hourly rate, but that is between you and your employer.

It’s called…

Subsistance allowance and it has to be provided by your employer. In the same way that tradesmen get B&B paid for by the companies they work for, we get a smaller allowance. It should also be paid in advance in cash if the trip dictates that the driver will be away from base.

I can find no evidence of a legal requirement to pay night out money, only legal requirements to be met if you do…
unless it’s in here;

As an employer, you can either reimburse your drivers for their actual travel costs
incurred when staying away from home or a set rate, for example benchmark scale
rates for meal allowances or a lorry driver’s overnight subsistence allowance.

but it still refers to “can” rather than “must”
here, guidelines, link to FAQ etc
gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66205
here, more guides, slightly out of date
app.croneri.co.uk/topics/driver … ay/indepth

In any case a lot of hoops to get through!

You can’t find evidence…So what?.. :unamused:
To me it does not matter a ■■■■ whether it’s a ‘legal requirement’ or not. :unamused:

There is no way in hell I would do tramping without night out subsistence …however underpaid that is today, but that’s a seperate argument.

I can not ever see anybody who would be stupid, gullible, or naive enough to do tramping without getting paid night out money, …even to gain experience! .
If they do then their firms are on a huge ■■■■■■■■ and exploitation excercise…end of. :imp:

Either the o/p is on a wind up, does not understand the difference between a night tramper and a night trunker, or is one of the descriptions I have mentioned.
It may be just naivety down to inexperience of this dog ■■■■ industry and all the exploitative firms around, give him the benefit of the doubt, …but if it’s stupidity or gullibillity he deserves all he gets, you just can not help people who will not help themselves. :unamused:

Thinking about this…soon it will be like every ■■■■ thing else in terms of working practices and conditions, that the spinless and the subservient have just pathetically handed back, (like time and a half overtime rates and all the rest.)
We will be expected to do tramping without night out money…and guess how many will just true to form bend over. :bulb: :imp:

At least I’ll be well out of the job by that time hopefully.

robroy:
To me it does not matter a [zb] whether it’s a ‘legal requirement’ or not. :unamused:

I can’t pin…

Down anywhere on the net that does confirm it in law but, if was optional, firms would have stopped paying it 50 years ago surely?

yourhavingalarf:

robroy:
To me it does not matter a [zb] whether it’s a ‘legal requirement’ or not. :unamused:

I can’t pin…

Down anywhere on the net that does confirm it in law but, if was optional, firms would have stopped paying it 50 years ago surely?

My thoughts too and I wouldn’t be too happy about it not being offered either

trekxor:
I can find no evidence of a legal requirement to pay night out money, only legal requirements to be met if you do…
unless it’s in here;

As an employer, you can either reimburse your drivers for their actual travel costs
incurred when staying away from home or a set rate, for example benchmark scale
rates for meal allowances or a lorry driver’s overnight subsistence allowance.

but it still refers to “can” rather than “must”
here, guidelines, link to FAQ etc
gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66205
here, more guides, slightly out of date
app.croneri.co.uk/topics/driver … ay/indepth

In any case a lot of hoops to get through!

Maybe, you are not reading that correctly… they have given two options of how to pay it … you can pay as a tax free payment or another form of payment… hence it’s still paid.

yourhavingalarf:

robroy:

I can’t pin…

I’m not aware of any law. It’s just a question of who would do it without being paid for it?

Playing the devils advocate here but night out money was paid to drivers for transport digs for a bed to sleep in as lorries didn’t have sleepers back then. Instead of giving you night out money the firm spent it on buying you that fancy lorry with the nice sleeper so you don’t have to sleep in a room with 5 or 6 other truckers…er, i mean lorry drivers. :open_mouth: