night out money

hi just wonderd if any one could tell me the maximum night out money before tax ,and also do any of you get a meal allowance and if so how much . cheers

As far as i know it differs from area to area, when i was on nights out it was £21 and £3.50 meals, somerset area.

Maximum tax free subsistance allowance stands at:
Sleeper cab equipt - £20.66 per night including meal allowance

I can’t remember what the allowance is for non sleeper equipt, but think its about £26.

Tramper:
I can’t remember what the allowance is for non sleeper equipt, but think its about £26.

£26.90 according to the FTA.

Have a look on here:
hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66110.htm

not sure. we get £18.83 night out and £2 meal allowance. it was recently dropped down to avoid us getting taxed on it so we are actually better off than before… apparently :confused:

dont forget this is without receipts. if you spend money and its backed up by receipts the company can reimburse any amount they like.

night out money 25 no tax = 25
night out money 35 less tax = 32.50 because you would only pay tax on the extra
not spot on figures but close enough for jazz

different rates for different traffic areas.
we used to get £20 night out money tax free and £10 for parking minus tax.
however now we just get £31 tax free.

dave:
different rates for different traffic areas.
we used to get £20 night out money tax free and £10 for parking minus tax.
however now we just get £31 tax free.

Not true, the traffic area has nothing to do with anything, Tax is the realm of HM Revenue and Customs and the rates are set by them. Your £31.00 will be split - £20.66 tax free and 10.34 taxable. You may not be paying the tax on the £10.34, but your company will have to.

the wonder of trucknet.
you learn a new thing everyday :wink:

but what does this mean then :question:

The mere fact that a lorry has a sleeper cab does not prevent the employer paying an amount tax free up to the limit shown in EIM66110 (or locally agreed limits) provided that the employer is satisfied that the driver did incur expenses on overnight accommodation (for example by staying in a hotel) and meals.

(or locally agreed limits) :question:

dave:
(or locally agreed limits) :question:

The above was mentioned in the book I refered to, it suggests to me that it is possible to negotiate a higher amount with the tax office :confused:

dave:
but what does this mean then :question:

The mere fact that a lorry has a sleeper cab does not prevent the employer paying an amount tax free up to the limit shown in EIM66110 (or locally agreed limits) provided that the employer is satisfied that the driver did incur expenses on overnight accommodation (for example by staying in a hotel) and meals.

An employer wishing to make subsistence payments in excess of the approved amount without deducting tax may do so, provided that:

the payments are intended merely to reimburse the actual expenditure incurred and are made against formal claims from the employee concerned, or supported by suitable evidence, see EIM66120 or
the detailed arrangements under which such payments are made have received the formal approval in writing of the appropriate Inspector.
Where a request for approval is received the Inspector should carefully examine the proposed arrangements to ensure:

that the conditions of EIM66105 are met and
that the employees concerned genuinely incur, on a day-to-day basis, the expenses that the allowance is intended to cover.
Subsistence payments not covered by these instructions should be subjected to tax.

You can actually claim another £15 on top of the £20.66 but thats dependant on parking in an M.S.A. and also dependant on whether you have an extra cup of tea and double toast.

My mate is a sales rep he has NO limit but tends to keep his to £100 a night for his meal and accomodation and of course a few beers, ALL tax free.