HGV1 Night out Allowance

remy:
Playing the devils advocate here but night out money was paid to drivers for transport digs for a bed to sleep in as lorries didn’t have sleepers back then. Instead of giving you night out money the firm spent it on buying you that fancy lorry with the nice sleeper so you don’t have to sleep in a room with 5 or 6 other truckers…er, i mean lorry drivers. :open_mouth:

…it still is but if you use a sleeper cab it is reduced by 75%, from £34.90 to £26.20, max payment before income tax/NIC is payable

robroy:

Harry Monk:
There’s no legal obligation for an employer to pay night-out money but why on earth would a driver do a night out if he/she wasn’t being paid for it?

Exactly.
I’ve never heard of any tramper not getting night out money, if what he says is true, he’s well and truly getting stitched up.

Know of a small Airdrie based frigo haulier who doesn’t pay night out money. His reasoning - he provides a microwave in his trucks so you don’t need night out money.

As you’d expect he is permanently advertising.

harrawaffa:

robroy:

Harry Monk:
There’s no legal obligation for an employer to pay night-out money but why on earth would a driver do a night out if he/she wasn’t being paid for it?

Exactly.
I’ve never heard of any tramper not getting night out money, if what he says is true, he’s well and truly getting stitched up.

Know of a small Airdrie based frigo haulier who doesn’t pay night out money. His reasoning - he provides a microwave in his trucks so you don’t need night out money.

What I would expect logically would be all his trucks parked up permanently without drivers, but there are obviously one or two complete idiots up in Airdrie. :unamused:

harrawaffa:

You probably get…

Free air horns, wheel trims, Kelsa bars and frilly curtains too though, so all in all, a great deal really.

yourhavingalarf:

harrawaffa:

You probably get…

Free air horns, wheel trims, Kelsa bars and frilly curtains too though, so all in all, a great deal really.

Indeed they’re all included as standard along with a limiter, or lack of, that would frighten the Irish.

Tea Jenny:
The pay is very low(£120 per shift, not per hour before tax) and very long hours ie averaging 12-13hrs.

Those are not long hours, they’re about average. The average working week in haulage excluding breaks is 55hrs a week, 11hrs a day. Chuck in a 45 minute break in that and you’re nearly at 12hrs a shift. If you wanted a 40hr week then you shouldn’t have got into haulage.

There is no legal right to night out allowance, the tax free amount is merely there as an allowance given by HMRC for an amount that can be paid to cover expenses by an employer.

I’m sure one of my old guvnors would have loved to see this thread, if he could have got out of paying something he would, this was when a night out was around £10.50 and £2 a day breakfast money.
Used to pay us £100 cash plus night out to pop up to the North East on a Sunday, not bad thirty five years ago for five hours work, then it dried up, when asked why, found someone else was doing it for £25 :unamused:

Tea Jenny:
Hi folks,
First post on here. Is the overnight subsistence allowance a legal requirement? I don’t need to know about the tax implications as I know its tax free and that the current rate is £26.20/night.

It’s my understanding that night out money is no longer tax-free. HMRC didn’t like the idea.Our firm put the money up from £25 to £32.50 so that we still get £25 even after tax.

I’ve not got a clue what this logistics people pay for a night out , all I know is you a tick box on the online time sheet saying you’ve done a night out , said I’d get a welcome pack but never received one though only started mon .
He said money was same as stobarts , £11 ph , so I guess night out money will be the same
I guess it shows a general lack of enthusiasm on my part

So much crap on here
Lets just answer the chaps question

Is the overnight subsistence allowance a legal requirement?

the only answer is NO
Its not a right- there is no legislation that says you must have it
the moral and ethical comments are valid but the only answer to the question asked is still NO

The OP’s question was succinctly answered in the very first comment made…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

harrawaffa:

yourhavingalarf:

harrawaffa:

You probably get…

Indeed they’re all included as standard along with a limiter, or lack of, that would frighten the Irish.

I mAy have a an idea who you Might or might not be Going on about. :wink:

Never knew they didn’t pay night out money, never knew anyone was stupid enough to work without getting it.