Night out allowance

So I started a new class 1 job a few weeks ago. After tax I get £370 this is standard wage without night out money, the boss says he doesn’t pay night out money even though I’m out Monday till Friday as I cannot get back.
is this illegal to not pay me night out money as I am away from home for the job ?

It’s not illegal but the bloke is completely taking the ■■■■.

No.

wtf are you doing nighting out then? Do yourself a big favour and find work somewhere else - I get £22 night out money and i think thats a ■■■■■■■■■ so consequently dont do many at all. He sure as hell wouldn`t accept that himself - why do you?

You’re a mug mate.

Your boss is having your pants down nights out can be claimed back through the tax system so don’t cost him anything. Surely you agreed your wages before you started so you know what you were letting your self in for

22-25 is to compensate you for having to sleep in your cab. Ie get food its not a payment for sleeping in your truck. If you don’t have a sleeper then its around 40 per night

Ryan. Are you a new pass chief? If so its understandable that you may have to accept poor pay for a few months whilst gaining experience.

But although I have been quite fortunate with my firm as a new pass,i get £500 for 50 hours on days Mon-Fri.(Gross) PAYE . £30 extra per night out if I do one. (maybe once per month).

So with the above exception,i have to agree with ■■■■■■■.

That’s a poor wage if your maxing out and can’t get back to the yard each night, night out money for me is £25 plus £5.75 meal allowance if I do 12 hours work all tax free.
It’s understandable if your a new driver wanting a start but I would asking some of your colleagues what they are getting for a night out.
Do be walked over.

But I have to wonder if the boss isn’t putting it down on his tax return as an expense though ?

What about parking charges and tolls (bridge and tunnel money)?

Ryan090:
So I started a new class 1 job a few weeks ago. After tax I get £370 this is standard wage without night out money, the boss says he doesn’t pay night out money even though I’m out Monday till Friday as I cannot get back.
is this illegal to not pay me night out money as I am away from home for the job ?

It isn’t illegal not to pay night out money but it is of course the standard practice throughout the industry. You should have checked before taking the job/agreeing to do nights out that he was going to pay you for them, and if he wasn’t, told him that you wouldn’t be doing them.

I also don’t want to kick you while you are down, but if you’re taking home £370 for a week out tramping then the guy clearly isn’t worth working for and you should find another job quick-sharp. Consider dumping his wagon miles away from the yard and coming back on the train also.

axletramp:
What about parking charges and tolls (bridge and tunnel money)?

I’m guessing if he ain’t paying night out money then he ain’t going to be paying for anything else. What a ■■■■ taking ■■■■ the gaffer sounds. I know you’ve just started but if I wasn’t getting paid for nights out I wouldn’t be working there simple as.

Ryan090:

I reckon your boss is on a mega ■■■■ take mate. You are losing out on at least £100 per wk. There ARE other jobs out there, tell him to shove it right up.

Ryan090:

I think there taking the ■■■■ m8. I Tramp monday to Friday normally 4 nights out a week at £28.20 a night, I take home £550 to £600 after tax for 5 shifts about 60 hrs.

I took home £390 a week tramping in 2003. That was 65 hours a week, 4 nights out for a Lincolnshire firm (not the best area for pay shall we say). In 2014 when I dabbled again in road haulage I took home about £430-£440 a week (65-67 hours) on days for a firm in the East of England. If you’re earning that now - and worse, not based in the fens - then you’re being done like a kipper. New or not, you’re doing the same job. Look for better paid work.

I’m still taking this in after reading it several hours ago, can still scarcely believe it.

Whilst you may be a newish driver, this is just not on mate whatever your circumstances and the sooner you find another job and tell him to poke it the better.
No better still don’t go back in tomorrow (please don’t tell us you’re working bank hol Mon at normal pay) or tues, just clear your motor out and bugger off, he don’t deserve notice…when you go i hope you name the firm so other lads here don’t get shafted dry.

Is this what has become of our own working people after all the progress our working class colleagues have made since the days of the Jarrow March, it’s proof absolute that we need to stand together as drivers once again, what next will blokes be paying some wide boy spat-wearing spiv for the right to work.

Thing is,if this guys employer is getting guys to do nights out for no night out pay then it might slowly start to creep in to other hauliers and eventually it will become “I remember when we got paid night out money”

The-Snowman:
Thing is,if this guys employer is getting guys to do nights out for no night out pay then it might slowly start to creep in to other hauliers and eventually it will become “I remember when we got paid night out money”

If that ever becomes the case I’d say…

“I remember the days when I used to do nights out…”

On mon or tues take the truck to where you are supposed to, park it up at an msa, get a lift home and tell him you decided to spend the night at home seeing as he doesn’ t pay nights out, and you have decided to jack anyway. Oh… and you can’t remember where you mislaid the keys. It’s what arse holes like him deserve for exploiting drivers. :smiling_imp:
Ok you will lose a days pay but it will be worth it.

I sincerely hope you do mate, although I suspect that you won’t. :cry: