Night out allowance

Steve66:
“I remember the days when I used to do nights out…”

:laughing:
I know what you mean but your wording gave me a chuckle :laughing:

£370 take home on Class 1? Don’t Stobarts pay more than that?

The-Snowman:

Steve66:

Or…I remember the days when I used to get paid to work!

Cue Monty Python quotes…we used to pay mill owner for permission to come to work :laughing:

Oh jeez… And people say stobarts pay peanuts lol

You are gettin the ■■■■ taken out of you mate, I’d find another job ASAP

The-Snowman:

Steve66:

Glad I made you laugh :smiley:

I know it’s rubbish pay, used to be on 590 after tax with nights out but being 22 it’s hard to find a job where the companies insurance is fine with the age ? this jobs just one till I get a little more experience to find a decent one.

il bet he is only paying tax on 270 of that and the shytehawk he is working for is claiming for the 4 nites out

Ryan090:
I know it’s rubbish pay, used to be on 590 after tax with nights out but being 22 it’s hard to find a job where the companies insurance is fine with the age ? this jobs just one till I get a little more experience to find a decent one.

So why did you change jobs?

Harry Monk:
It’s not illegal but the bloke is completely taking the ■■■■.

+1

DonutUK:

Ryan090:

So why did you change jobs?

You beat me to it. :open_mouth: I thought it was his first driving job, so was prepared to take any old sh,…as he did.
If your boss can not see anything wrong with his non payment policy, then surely he won’t mind you ‘‘advertising his co’’ on here. :bulb:
Why not try somebody like Nolans that take abso anybody (or Stobarts :laughing: ) not best of job but at least they pay you, and the experience gained will be …err varied :wink:

alix776:
nights out can be claimed back through the tax system so don’t cost him anything.

I like this quote. You make it sound like HMRC or someone refunds him because he paid a driver night out money!

Of course nights out cost the company/boss. Yes it is a legitimate expense they can ‘offset’ against tax liability but they don’t get it back!! If the operator pays a driver £25 - that’s £25 out of the profit. If he got to keep the £25 he’d pay corporation tax on the profit - which I believe to currently be 20%. So in simple terms out of his £25 he gives £5 to HMRC and in effect keeps the rest taking it as a dividend at the end of the year.

This is why he doesn’t want to pay the night out money to the driver - so he makes more profit (or some profit) and can continue to stupidly quote lower and lower prices to win work not worth doing! That or he’s making HUGE profits.

Yes the driver is being ripped off and yes the driver needs to get outta there ASAP. An operator that desperate is highly unlikely to be maintaining the vehicles effectively.

Right that how it works if the op is a self employed driver. His boss is an operator and the 25 pounds should be part of his costings so there for don’t need to be charged separatly. Night allowance is a cost neutral allowance for an operator.

alix776:
Right that how it works if the op is a self employed driver. His boss is an operator and the 25 pounds should be part of his costings so there for don’t need to be charged separatly. Night allowance is a cost neutral allowance for an operator.

Exactly any operator with a brain factors night out money into their costings for any work taken on that requires a driver to do a night out just as they factor costs in for fuel and wear and tear on tyres etc.

Walk out. Join an agency, even if they only give you a couple days a week you will still be in more money!

alix776:

No, it’s not cost-neutral. If I pay a driver £25 night-out money, then that comes out of my pocket. At the end of the year then I am liable for Corporation Tax on £25 less than I would have been had I not paid out that night-out money, in other words £5. So it still costs me £20.

Can not beleve you are doing nights out with no pay not a chance i get 22.50 per nite plus £15 meal allowence for every shift and am on a tidy but more than that perweek shicking park his truck 300 mile away jump on the train say your at home and ■■■■ him tell him to go and collect it the prick

Harry Monk:

alix776:

No, it’s not cost-neutral. If I pay a driver £25 night-out money, then that comes out of my pocket. At the end of the year then I am liable for Corporation Tax on £25 less than I would have been had I not paid out that night-out money, in other words £5. So it still costs me £20.

I am always surprised when I hear drivers say things like “It’s OK, the company pays for it” or “Isn’t that why they have insurance? It pays for the damage” etc - like they have absolutely no idea how this making a profit thing actually works.

As said already its a tax free expense up to a certain limit. An operator wouldn’t invoice a night away to a customer. They build it into there running costs as I’ve had to do many times in the past few years. So £23 night out allowance is payable to the diver as a tax-free amount the, now as this amount is a legitimate expense to the operator they claim this as well as other things ie maintenance etc against there taxable profit so in a way it comes back to the operator in terms of a reduction in corporation tax. Which is why It costs in terms of cash flow but the operator will claim this back against any profit they make as it is already costed for

I pick up about 650 for working Fri-Tues including my night out money (just shy of £23 a night) that’s my first class 1 job.

if its really that bad why not name and shame? save some else from being taken for ride. good luck