OK, so you go on the weighbridge, and you're overweight

You drive to the weighbridge, and you are overweight by a couple of tons.
What’s the procedure? What happens?

Phone your office and wait where you are for instructions …

Depends where ?
If at quarry , sand pit ,wood yard etc etc , go back in and take excess off then go back on bridge
If at DVSA site , start saying your prayers, call the boss and ask him to bring another truck etc out to take excess off

Sploom:

Circumstances?

If you’ve just loaded on the same site then tip some off.
If you’re at the tipping site then tip it.
If you’re at a 3rd party site/ weighbridge then someone has to come to take the extra 2 ton off before you can go on the road.

Sploom:

Are you driving to the nearest weighbridge to do a “check weigh”?
We aren’t discussing being pulled in for a check by anyone ?

blue estate:
Depends where ?
If at quarry , sand pit ,wood yard etc etc , go back in and take excess off then go back on bridge
If at DVSA site , start saying your prayers, call the boss and ask him to bring another truck etc out to take excess off

And tell him to bring his VISA card with a decent limit on it, if you’re over 3% out then a lawyer would help too

Mazzer2:

blue estate:
Depends where ?

And tell him to bring his VISA card with a decent limit on it, if you’re over 3% out then a lawyer would help too

5% to a max of 1t

58.65 tonnes with front axle off weighbridge

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Shouldn’t have weighed it, know you know so have to rectify the problem or carry on and be worried till you get to your destination. I wouldn’t have weighed it then if got stopped and weighed my surprise at being overloaded would be genuine :astonished:
Ignorance is bliss as they say :sunglasses:

Wow, this is scary stuff!
Thanks for all the replies

I once loaded at a farm using the on-board weigher and toddled off to my destination fortunately not very far away. Got onto their weighbridge to find I was 51.5 tons… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Lonewolf Yorks:
I once loaded at a farm using the on-board weigher and toddled off to my destination fortunately not very far away. Got onto their weighbridge to find I was 51.5 tons… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Did that once, didnt realize I hadnt tipped the body high enough, was still touching the bump stops at the back :blush: was “only” 48T and the mill was only 5 miles away…

Sploom:

I stick it back on the bay, and take some excess stuff off. I won’t have left the yard with an overweight trailer in the first place, you see. :grimacing:

I once had a trailer I suspected was overweight, and that yard had no weighbridge.
They’d given me a 6-wheeled tractor, which I then went to town and defected for everything I could find, asking for an alternative 10-wheeled tractor (which I knew in advance they didn’t have…)
Consequence was, I got grounded and sent home - but on that occasion I was paid a flat 8 hours @ £10ph. (2011 on agency) I didn’t get asked to work at that yard again after that day though. :wink:

if leaving plan to miss all scales and ask for a “bonus” from the gaffer,if in to tip and the scale guy gets ■■■■■■ fiver on the desk if he disnae want you in not your problem phone your gaffer.(after all he let you go overweight after you let him know when loaded). lol . Watched a friend tipping in my yrd one evening …body hardly going up ,asked him at the fuel pumps what he had on lol 10tm over on 6axles.,kf im not even that nuts. …lol just realised some folk will think this is in the uk ,nope its not. :smiley: plenty o nuns around and none were injured. nb just worked out what the fine would have been about 12k GB pounds $20k CA(company gets fined )

As a passenger I remember my Dad loading with coal during the miners strike up to 50 tonne on 5 axles the police were working the weighbridge and the trailer was full ,no sheeting or net ,not long after it ended he got pulled and they tried to book him for being 250 kg over :open_mouth: .

Lonewolf Yorks:

Assuming it was when you were at Warcups and knowing the complete lack of accuracy on the weighers on the bulk blowers, I’m surprised you were only at 51.5 ton :laughing: :laughing:

Most I’ve ever been on a weighbridge was 53 tonnes (Fuller’s earth from Port Richborough to Manston, back in the Romac days), my payload was 38 tonnes and at the time the MGW was 38 tonnes. :open_mouth:

The reason I asked is that someone told me that if you voluntarily pull into a weighbridge, they won’t prosecute you because you voluntarily went there.
I picked up a container of wine once, and when I drove down the road, it felt really heavy, but there was no weighbridge available at Tilbury when I picked it up.

Sploom:
The reason I asked is that someone told me that if you voluntarily pull into a weighbridge, they won’t prosecute you because you voluntarily went there.
I picked up a container of wine once, and when I drove down the road, it felt really heavy, but there was no weighbridge available at Tilbury when I picked it up.

Not true ,I read once of similar case driver got done .

Sploom:

“Check the Gross Vehicle Weight before setting
out, either using your own weighbridge, or one
nearby. You are allowed to drive to the nearest
available weighbridge to check your load and then
go to a place where they can take off some of the
load if the vehicle is overloaded.”
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … basics.pdf

If you go to the nearest scales, then you should be OK.