overweight (the truck not me)

I load containers where you weigh in at once site travel to another to load then return to the weighbridge to weigh out.
Today I was nearly 2ton over when weighing out

where do you stand with returning to the load site to have weight removed?

Not a problem being overweight if you are travelling to the nearest weighbridge to be check weighed, or travelling back from it.

You are allowed to travel to a suitable place to unload. It’s what is suitable is debatable. On a grab wagon, a layby because you can come back and pick up the excess.

How far apart are the two sites :question:

Should be OK, but if there’s a public weighbridge closer to the loading point then you should use that instead.

Edit…just out of interest do you split weigh the vehicle too, i suppose 2 ton will be removed from the rear of the container, this could potentially leave the front end overweight as the load would presumably be stacked to suit the weight first time.
I always, whenever possible pull forward off a bridge and just get a reading for the rear or trailer axles…quick back of ■■■ packet working out and you know within a few cwt (stuff the foreign measures) where you are.

My understanding of the law is this …

The driver is permitted to go directly from the place of loading to the nearest available weighbridge and back to the place of loading without penalty providing any overload does not make the vehicle/trailer unsafe

ROG:

The driver is permitted to go directly from the place of loading to the nearest available weighbridge and back to the place of loading without penalty providing any overload does not make the vehicle/trailer unsafe

Yup that wot i was told by a rozzer many years ago

ROG:

You have also got to stick to the same route you took to get to the nearest available weighbridge also if I remember rightly. All this 10-15% allowance is a load of ■■■■■■■■ too. I read in the RHA Manual you are only allowed a certain allowance if you were under or on the vehicle gross weight when you were loaded and it show’s that on the weighbridge ticket. So if you need to fill up with 500 litres of diesel and you were not overloaded when you left sight but you are just over if you get pulled you will be fine. Tin hat on now :smiley:

5 percent for a load that could have absorbed that much rain on route is about it.

Muckaway:
You are allowed to travel to a suitable place to unload. It’s what is suitable is debatable. On a grab wagon, a layby because you can come back and pick up the excess.

tipping off in a layby, can,t see that being true ,suitable yard ,site, transfer station ,but not a layby ,would leave yourself open to all other sorts of pain :laughing:

d4c24a:

Muckaway:

tipping off in a layby, can,t see that being true ,suitable yard ,site, transfer station ,but not a layby ,would leave yourself open to all other sorts of pain :laughing:

It’s not true, it’s called “fly tipping” & it WILL get you into trouble.

Chas:

d4c24a:

Muckaway:

I’ve seen it done, a stone merchant got done and grabbed off some rockery stone. Amazed it wasn’t nicked, but it was there for a day or two before they returned and collected it.
If the load is valuable then I can’t see the weighbridge owner being happy with goods being stored at their premises for long.

Muckaway:

Chas:

d4c24a:

Muckaway:

I’ve seen it done, a stone merchant got done and grabbed off some rockery stone. Amazed it wasn’t nicked, but it was there for a day or two before they returned and collected it.
If the load is valuable then I can’t see the weighbridge owner being happy with goods being stored at their premises for long.

bit of a difference with “seeing it done” and it being legal though :wink:

honest officer i was going to come back for the 100 ton i have accumulated in that layby :laughing:

I do this some times, if it’s over weight I just take it back to where it was loaded and have a couple of bales or what ever taken off. If you take the most direct route (with in reason) back to the loading point I don’t see where you would fall foul of the law.

CatD4, I got questioned by an environment bird on a pipeline job a few years back; “Driver, why are you dumping all this gravel in this field?”
“Murphys’ are going to hide it for me under these water pipes.”
:laughing:

Muckaway:
CatD4, I got questioned by an environment bird on a pipeline job a few years back; “Driver, why are you dumping all this gravel in this field?”
“Murphys’ are going to hide it for me under these water pipes.”
:laughing:

Are you sure you drive a tipper?

Dumping gravel in a field for the end user is a bit different to offloading a few tons in a layby on your own account.

Chas:

Tipping in a layby…or not?

Muckaway:

Chas:

We all know that’s not your tipper - its on the correct side of the road in a layby.

m1cks:

Muckaway:

Chas:

We all know that’s not your tipper - its on the correct side of the road in a layby.

Same layby too mate, well spotted, you win…■■■■ all. :wink:

Surely a few cones and a roadworks sign, no one will tie it a second glance :laughing: