Taking breaks on the pump

Is this a regular thing and does it bother any one? A few times I’ve been waiting to get on a pump and it’s quite clear the driver is dragging their heels trying to get a 15 or even a 30 minute break in, when I’ve fuelled up I pull forward if can then go and pay so the person behind me can get on the pump. Not a whinging post by any means just intrigued as to what the general attitude towards this is.

liam6226:
Is this a regular thing and does it bother any one? A few times I’ve been waiting to get on a pump and it’s quite clear the driver is dragging their heels trying to get a 15 or even a 30 minute break in, when I’ve fuelled up I pull forward if can then go and pay so the person behind me can get on the pump. Not a whinging post by any means just intrigued as to what the general attitude towards this is.

I don’t have a problem with people taking a 15, while fuelling up, getting their coffee,while they pay etc, but a 30 is a p++s take,

Before the pumps were upgraded, it was easily possible to get a 30 min break whilst filling up at the BP garage at Felixstowe.

liam6226:

If anyone needs to put a 15 in while fuelling up they need to change their job,that’s desperate,ffs.

bobbya:

liam6226:

If anyone needs to put a 15 in while fuelling up they need to change their job,that’s desperate,ffs.

+1

toonsy:

bobbya:

liam6226:

+1

+2 I can make and drink a cuppa in 15 mins not waste it filling up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

toonsy:

bobbya:

liam6226:

+1

+2 I can make and drink a cuppa in 15 mins not waste it filling up

Yes +3
Why anyone wants to do this is beyond me,if there wanting a Friday flyer fine but many choose to do it to please the boss
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+4

You have to be some sort of selfish twerp to do this anyway, so maybe these companies and the fools who work for them are well matched.

Problems got worse since lorry driver magnets Greggs & Subway started opening in so many of the services. Even get drivers now parking on the pumps to go inside without even getting fuel.

Pig ignorance at it’s best.

rob22888:
Even get drivers now parking on the pumps to go inside without even getting fuel.

Guilty… but literally 2 mins for quick wee and snack. My bad.

Anyway, taking 15 grates on my nerves, but it’s kinda not the end of the world, but once at Toddington S/B this pot bellied Latvian reefer driver took a 30 and wondered off. The forecourt manager got involved and was all over the place trying to find this bloke. When he emerged from the main building, he was blathering away on his phone and completely ignored the manager, me, and another driver, got in his cab, changed his tacho, and drove off. We were infuriated, especially as the queue for that particular keyfuels pump (tank on left) was 4 deep. I’m not a violent man, but I had feelings of wanting to punch him, lol. It was the completely ignorant look on his face that did it for me.

ezydriver:

rob22888:
Even get drivers now parking on the pumps to go inside without even getting fuel.

To be fair so have I when it’s quiet.

Just wasn’t too happy with the bloke at the Morrisons Keyfuels in Doncaster next to Amazon the other week who parked up and spent 10 minutes inside when the queue was backing up to the road behind him. He literally queued to park on a pump because he couldn’t be arsed walking from the road.

Im not against taking a break on the pumps. If you want to work for someone who works you to such an extent you need to take a tacho break while fuelling up then thats your look out but at least follow proper etiquette. As in, if someone arrives behind you then accept it hasnt worked for you on this occasion and ■■■■■■■ MOVE, don’t just sit there leaving everyone else to wait.

Incidently, if you want to see the attitude of our fellow “professionals” then try reading the comments to a post about this very subject on any facebook group. The attitude from some of them would blow your ■■■■■■■ mind and its clear to see just how low the dregs of the industry can stoop

rob22888:

ezydriver:

rob22888:

To be fair so have I when it’s quiet.

Just wasn’t too happy with the bloke at the Morrisons Keyfuels in Doncaster next to Amazon the other week who parked up and spent 10 minutes inside when the queue was backing up to the road behind him. He literally queued to park on a pump because he couldn’t be arsed walking from the road.

Yeah that’s pretty bad. I’d never go for 10 mins if it was busy, it at all. At night I always get away with a quick 2 mins.

Just out of interest, that Morrisons, is that the store? I’m sure I’ve seen a store by there. Can you get 250 litres out of it, and an MDL into it?

Selfish and inconsiderate.

There’s a guy I regularly see doing this at Hopwood services (M42). Never said anything - I’m far too polite. Besides he’s enormous and has no teeth. Not sure how relevant the lack of teeth is, but I suspect he could probably rip my arm off and ram it down my neck…

If vosa saw you at the pump and pulled you when you set off to check your tacho and it showed the last 15 mins on break then they would come down on you like a ton a bricks. Apart from that it’s selfish. It’s not a place to be taking a break.

DickyNick:
If vosa saw you at the pump and pulled you when you set off to check your tacho and it showed the last 15 mins on break then they would come down on you like a ton a bricks. Apart from that it’s selfish. It’s not a place to be taking a break.

I have heard of…
The tacho and fuel receipts being compared one to the other for times. No need for anyone to sit there and observe you.
Apocryphal story?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

DickyNick:

I have heard of…
The tacho and fuel receipts being compared one to the other for times. No need for anyone to sit there and observe you.
Apocryphal story?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Got stopped at Montaban in 2009 and ministry guy looked at the fuel gauge then asked where I had filled up, wanted to see the receipt then checked it against the previous days card most disappointed to find that the time on the receipt matched 20 minutes of other work.

So glad I work for a company where they just accept it when I phone up and say, “I’m now running xxxxx mins late for that time critical delivery because I had to take xxxxx mins break and THEN also fill up with fuel”. And they won’t kick off shouting at me, why didn’t you take your break on the pumps blah blah blah.

Franglais:

DickyNick:

I have heard of…
Apocryphal story

Can’t say about now but it certainly used to be the case. In the early 90’s I worked for a notorious mid Devon based fridge haulier (now defunct) and was warned about making sure fuel receipts matched the tacho as they’d recently had a court case bought by VOSA on exactly on those records.

A few years later when we all went to court again (it almost seemed as if VOSA had it in for us!!!) I had a chat with the local VOSA head investigator (nice chap, but under caution) where he explained he was a bit upset he couldn’t find any fault with the fuel receipts against tacho records this time around, turned out they had been silently checking us all for the last 6 months, so had to make do with prosecuting on the basis of missing mileage between cards along with gatehouse records of our customers,
Typical stuff of tipping and loading off the card etc

The drivers had mostly got quite good at covering their tracks by then, and while some got lots of offences, big fines and licence suspensions I reckon VOSA only actually found a very small proportion of what had gone on.