Do you try to take a sneaky 15 min break at the pumps?

It’s easy to do. Stop, set break, slowly get out of cab, present card, fill up slowly, go to pay, forget mileage so go back to cab to check it, browse ‘shop’, make coffee, use toilet, get back in cab to find one minute left on break so check paper work and you’re done …

… expect karma will catch up with you my fellow professionals.

Did all the above and tried to start engine, but nothing happened. No electrics. Broke down and blocked off a pump at a busy filling station. Took 5 and a half hours for recovery to turn up. The TM sent the slowest truck in the fleet to rescue me. If I had carried on to depot at final destination they would have had the facilities to get me going again.

So trying to sneak in a sly 15 min break to save time cost me over 6 hours in the end.

Squiddy:
It’s easy to do. Stop, set break, slowly get out of cab, present card, fill up slowly, go to pay, forget mileage so go back to cab to check it, browse ‘shop’, make coffee, use toilet, get back in cab to find one minute left on break so check paper work and you’re done …

Did all the above and tried to start engine, but nothing happened. No electrics. Broke down at Leigh Delemare and blocked off a pump at a busy filling station. Took 5 and a half hours for recovery to turn up. The TM sent the slowest truck in the fleet to rescue me. If I had carried on to depot at final destination they would have had the facilities to get me going again.

So trying to sneak in a sly 15 min break to save time cost me over 6 hours in the end.

Yeh… I’ve tried this. I got rab-c-nesbitt in his bread wagon turn up behind me 11 minutes in asking “If I could move, 'cos he’s only got one pallet”
(the delivery door to the “on the run” establishment was right next to where I was parked with break selected) :unamused:

When I start shuffling my feet, tuning the radio, picking up the lucozade cap I’ve just carelessly dropped, and other buggering around at this point, it all looks rather silly! :blush: :unamused:

Oooh, I hope this is a trolling effort, because these types really wind me up. There is a guy pulling for JCB who does this at the Shell garage at the top of the A34 every morning, and I am usually queueing behind him to use the ONLY pump.

It is not the behaviour of a gentleman, and hopefully when the old breed retire and move on we will see an end to it.

It takes 2-3 minutes to fill up (assuming you’ve got a fast pump) if you pull your finger out and get on with it. So take your 2-3 minutes, then pull OUT OF THE WAY and have your break. Then you haven’t annoyed anyone or falsified your tacho.

I can’t believe how long some people can make it take, it’s almost an art form. Slow climb down from cab, fanny about with gloves, fanny about with door, fanny about with keys. Waddle over to the kiosk, fanny about with wallet, have a chat with the cashier. Slow waddle back, fanny about with the fuel cap, fanny about with the pump. Go shopping, have a dump, get a coffee, find out the machine doesn’t work, insist the guy fixes the machine, spill coffee climbing back into cab, out with the wipes, adjust seat, adjust mirrors.

It’s enough to make you weep!

How much time do you save? Fill up and move, so the guy behind you (me, often) can do the same.

i detest ■■■■■ that do this, the selfish ■■■■■ pinch time for themselves but delay other people who may not have time to spare :imp:

WildGoose:
Oooh, I hope this is a trolling effort, because these types really wind me up. There is a guy pulling for JCB who does this at the Shell garage at the top of the A34 every morning, and I am usually queueing behind him to use the ONLY pump.

It is not the behaviour of a gentleman, and hopefully when the old breed retire and move on we will see an end to it.

It takes 2-3 minutes to fill up (assuming you’ve got a fast pump) if you pull your finger out and get on with it. So take your 2-3 minutes, then pull OUT OF THE WAY and have your break. Then you haven’t annoyed anyone or falsified your tacho.

I can’t believe how long some people can make it take, it’s almost an art form. Slow climb down from cab, fanny about with gloves, fanny about with door, fanny about with keys. Waddle over to the kiosk, fanny about with wallet, have a chat with the cashier. Slow waddle back, fanny about with the fuel cap, fanny about with the pump. Go shopping, have a dump, get a coffee, find out the machine doesn’t work, insist the guy fixes the machine, spill coffee climbing back into cab, out with the wipes, adjust seat, adjust mirrors.

It’s enough to make you weep!

How much time do you save? Fill up and move, so the guy behind you (me, often) can do the same.

you forgot to fill the windscreen washers :wink:

Being on a fixed salery during the week i normaly take a 30min break on the pump disapearing off to the toilet to play with my phone if truckstops busy, my 15min is taken while hooking up doing my checks. :slight_smile:

i detest [zb] that do this, the selfish [zb] pinch time for themselves but delay other people who may not have time to spare

+1

green456:
i detest [zb] that do this, the selfish [zb] pinch time for themselves but delay other people who may not have time to spare :imp:

They’re not even pinching times for themselves on most occasions, but handing over an extra fifteen minutes unpaid overtime to their guv’nor.

green456:
i detest [zb] that do this, the selfish [zb] pinch time for themselves but delay other people who may not have time to spare :imp:

+2

shade:

green456:
i detest [zb] that do this, the selfish [zb] pinch time for themselves but delay other people who may not have time to spare

+1

+3

My rule is (or was) if I have more than 3 minutes left on a 15 min break and someone is waiting then move on. If it’s less than 3 minutes I jump out the cab, walk over and tell them I have 2 mins left do you mind, check tyres, adjust seat and mirrors and move on when done.

Squiddy:

Did all the above and tried to start engine, but nothing happened. No electrics. Broke down at Leigh Delemare and blocked off a pump at a busy filling station. Took 5 and a half hours for recovery to turn up. The TM sent the slowest truck in the fleet to rescue me. If I had carried on to depot at final destination they would have had the facilities to get me going again.

I hate selfish dimwitted [zb]s that do that so don’t refer to yourself as being a fellow professional eh genius :unamused: :unamused:

Oh and what a surprisingly contradictory view you have …

Yeah grass them up. Firms making their drivers run bent should be shut down. It’s firms/drivers like that who are knocking down the pay

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84421&p=1164394#p1164394

Remind us all again who and what kind of steering wheel holder is messing it up for everyone with there “bent” running. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Oh and I take it you’ll be forwarding your details so we can “grass” you up too ■■? :wink:

Squiddy:
My rule is (or was) if I have more than 3 minutes left on a 15 min break and someone is waiting then move on. If it’s less than 3 minutes I jump out the cab, walk over and tell them I have 2 mins left do you mind, check tyres, adjust seat and mirrors and move on when done.

my rule is…if the waiting driver is a great big grilla with ■■■■■■ eyes and hands the size of breeze blocks,i apologize for the delay and move on.
however if he`s a little bloke who looks like his evening activities may involve raincoats and laybyes…he can just ■■■■ right off and wait. :smiley:

survival of the fittest,i say :laughing:

Oh come on, it was 4 in the morning I wasn’t holding anyone up. And likesay I would have moved on if there was anyone waiting.

Anyway, my selfish zb actions cost me 6 hours so you should be happy.

Squiddy:
Oh come on, it was 4 in the morning I wasn’t holding anyone up. And likesay I would have moved on if there was anyone waiting.

Nope I’d be happier if you followed your own preachings and turned yourself in to VOSA for what is, however you wrap it up or try to excuse it, running bent :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Squiddy:

Is running bent at 4am different from running bent at 4pm?

I was on break for 5 hours and 45 minutes. How on earth was I running bent?

If you DO decide to take a break on the pumps at 4AM then you are far less likely to hold someone up than if you try to take a break at 4PM

I’ve already said I would have moved on if someone was waiting.

Christ, how the mob turns on you these days is incredible

Squiddy:

I broke down on the pump once. Couldn’t get the cab doors open - I did have the keys! - so I went in and asked to use the phone. Old sour face behind the till gave me the smuggest of smug looks and said “It’s not company policy to let lorry drivers (ie scum) use the phone”

“OK” I said “I’ll wait. It could be some time before the thing magically mends itself. Probably forever, actually. What’s your company policy on not selling any DERV all day? That’s a nice queue forming as well. It should reach all the way down to the ring road, eventually.”

I’m still amazed that I didn’t turn to stone on the spot considering the Gorgon like glare she gave me. I thought she might explode. Having to let someone make a ten pence phone call when they’ve only spent three hundred odd quid in your shop. Imagine!

Squiddy:

If you DO decide to take a break on the pumps at 4AM then you are far less likely to hold someone up than if you try to take a break at 4PM

The tacho mode switch is set to rest, you are doing other work = Bent.

There’s no mob turning on you, but encouraging people to inform on others for breaking tacho laws whilst putting youself on offer for doing the same thing is never going to end well.

Squiddy:

Stop, set break, slowly get out of cab, present card, fill up slowly, go to pay, forget mileage so go back to cab to check it, browse ‘shop’, make coffee, use toilet, get back in cab to find one minute left on break so check paper work and you’re done …

You said you were trying to do this and sneak in a 15. None of the above qualifies as a break.