Cynical in my Dotage (2)

… and, further more…

Something else that appears to be happening more and more often:-

People who take (a 15?) on the pump

I’m sorry… STOP BEING SUCH SELFISH DI##HEADS AND F### OFF AND TAKE YOUR BREAK ELSEWHERE

As someone who likes to take an hour kip everyday for my break, I have never understood why anybody would waste 15 minutes of their break whilst on the pump. I am truly baffled by this.

msgyorkie:
As someone who likes to take an hour kip everyday for my break, I have never understood why anybody would waste 15 minutes of their break whilst on the pump. I am truly baffled by this.

Because some drivers keep accepting day rate/annual salary and then try and ‘‘get it done’’ asap even if that means endangering themselves or others, or inconveniencing them just to save 15-20 mins a day as it’s a ‘‘win’’ for them

ETS:

msgyorkie:

Because some drivers keep accepting day rate/annual salary and then try and ‘‘get it done’’ asap even if that means endangering themselves or others, or inconveniencing them just to save 15-20 mins a day as it’s a ‘‘win’’ for them

Bit I don’t get though, surely the selfish idiots must realise that they are breaking the law? Refuelling is classed as part of your work so if you put yourself on break while refuelling, you are - by definition - breaking the law.

Or is it possible that they are so stupid/self absorbed/selfish that they don’t, or can’t, think it through or, (perhaps more likely) think it doesn’t apply to them?

Win-Stone:
Or is it possible that they are so stupid/self absorbed/selfish that they don’t, or can’t, think it through or, (perhaps more likely) think it doesn’t apply to them?

Yes to all the above.

ETS:

I`ve been in jobs where I was on a day-rate or a salary.
Never felt the need to break rules to gain a few at the end of the day.

I`ve known drivers on hourly rate cut corners to gain time on the road, at the pump etc, then toss it off further along.

The pay scheme hasn`t much to do with being selfish.

Ive done it,to be honest,I was under so much pressure to get the work done.

Win-Stone:
Bit I don’t get though, surely the selfish idiots must realise that they are breaking the law? Refuelling is classed as part of your work so if you put yourself on break while refuelling, you are - by definition - breaking the law.

If they’re ready to drive through a red light because it’s 2 a.m. and there’s ‘‘no one coming’’ yeah

Or do +10mph over the speed limit because they know there are no speed cameras on that stretch, overtake on double lines, plus commit plenty of ‘‘grey area’’ acts, recording a non-existent break likely doesn’t even register as an offense with them. The more you get away with the less you care. It’s why some drivers have dozens or hundreds of infringements by the time they eventually get a stop/check and get caught

Sploom:

Really? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Think you need to read the other post! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: [Cynical in my Dotage]

Sploom:

To be fair, if there’s any sort of Q, getting 15 minutes on the pumps is easy.
5 minutes+ waiting, move 70’ onto pumps, straight back onto break
5 minutes+ filling up, move forward 70’ to let the next one onto the pump, straight back onto break.
5 minutes+ Qing to pay, paying, have a quick wizz while your coffee is brewing in the machine, walking back to your truck.
Away you go, 15 minutes on break, job done. No harm, no foul, everyone is happy :slight_smile:

Simon:

Sploom:

To be fair, if there’s any sort of Q, getting 15 minutes on the pumps is easy.
5 minutes+ waiting, move 70’ onto pumps, straight back onto break
5 minutes+ filling up, move forward 70’ to let the next one onto the pump, straight back onto break.
5 minutes+ Qing to pay, paying, have a quick wizz while your coffee is brewing in the machine, walking back to your truck.
Away you go, 15 minutes on break, job done. No harm, no foul, everyone is happy :slight_smile:

Way I see it is breaks ain’t something you ‘‘need to get in’’ they are there for the welfare of the driver.
As for Sploom’s ‘‘pressure’’ , they only put you under it if they know you are going to react to it,.and do stuff that you have pointed out to get their job done that they have set you… not saying that you are under pressure Simon btw, as I don’t know your circumstances.

Anyhoo, my point is, …If they see you will not be pushed, they stop trying eventually, and move on to the next mug…trust me .

The combination of mileage pay, a tight deadline, and a TM known for handing out “punishment treatment” does terrible things to the average driver, never mind the neurotic and paranoid female variety… :blush: :blush: :blush:

I remember the regular Pallet trunker’s routine of “taking 15 on the pumps at Newport Pagnell” and then another 30 minutes whilst “doing your curtains in the tip queue”.

Firm I was working for, “Wings” of Croydon - got shirty with me when I booked a full hour @ Warwick services on the way back from Burton as my proper break. :smiling_imp: :grimacing:

Without such a break though, it was an easy 70 hour week monday-friday there, as the run up to Burton was a good 4 hours each way, which meant you had to take a 15 for getting away 90-120 minutes late from the start depot every night, due to “late loading”…

“Needs must” then to stay legal, but the big question here is HAS IT CHANGED■■? since that above happened to me back in 2011 when I first started out on agency, and only had enough pecking order to pull the more crappy jobs… :question:

robroy:
not saying that you are under pressure Simon btw, as I don’t know your circumstances.

I’m not under any pressure. Especially as I’m not working just now :imp:
But wasn’t in the job I was doing, and which I will be returning to asap. As soon as the DVLA let me.

I was just pointing out how easy it is to get 15 on the pumps at most truckstops.
No need to be hanging around at the coffee machine gabbin’, holding everyone else up while you ‘grab a 15’.

Simon:

robroy:
not saying that you are under pressure Simon btw, as I don’t know your circumstances.

I’m not under any pressure. Especially as I’m not working just now :imp:
But wasn’t in the job I was doing, and which I will be returning to asap. As soon as the DVLA let me.

I was just pointing out how easy it is to get 15 on the pumps at most truckstops.
No need to be hanging around at the coffee machine gabbin’, holding everyone else up while you ‘grab a 15’.

Yep. I got it,.I was mostly referring to Sploom’s post on pressure, .and commeting on yours at the same time pointing out that breaks should be taken properly as it is for the well being of the driver, not something to just ‘‘get in’’ for the benefit of the employer, that was all.