A14 upgrade half way through atleast

cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c … 470903.amp

Report says they have finally got halfway through the Cambridge - Huntingdon upgrade of the A14 which apparently includes 9 of 34 bridges compete.

I guess this means there’ll be quite a lot more night or weekend closures to put those bridges in place.

Never realised it was that big a project. Always assumed they were just adding a lane over a short bit and had to extend a couple of bridges near tue services. Then its always shut when I go through so never see it.

Bet its still done quicker than the M6 and M1.

trevHCS:
The A14 is halfway finished and this is what's been done - Cambridgeshire Live

Report says they have finally got halfway through the Cambridge - Huntingdon upgrade of the A14 which apparently includes 9 of 34 bridges compete.

I guess this means there’ll be quite a lot more night or weekend closures to put those bridges in place.

Never realised it was that big a project. Always assumed they were just adding a lane over a short bit and had to extend a couple of bridges near tue services. Then its always shut when I go through so never see it.

Bet its still done quicker than the M6 and M1.

Most of those bridges will be on the completely new section of road, which starts at Cambridge, will avoid Huntingdon altogether then rejoin the A14 and A1 at Brampton Hut using slip roads instead of roundabouts.

Doe’s anyone know if the Buckden roundabout on the A1 is going to be altered as part of the project?

Cheers Dave.

dave docwra:
Doe’s anyone know if the Buckden roundabout on the A1 is going to be altered as part of the project?

Cheers Dave.

Doesnt look like it.

Does the project contain any plans for additional truck parking once they’ve upgraded all of the roads, and removed any existing lay-bys?

I take it they plan to take 20 minutes off current journey times, rather than those before they started the project?

mardybum:
Does the project contain any plans for additional truck parking once they’ve upgraded all of the roads, and removed any existing lay-bys?

I take it they plan to take 20 minutes off current journey times, rather than those before they started the project?

Highways England has revealed plans to have 18 miles of the A14 classified as a motorway once upgrade work between Bar Hill & Huntingdon has been completed.

mardybum:

Ahh, I needed a laugh this morning. Some suits thinking about the creation of truck parking… that’s a good one! :laughing: :laughing:

mardybum:

There are no services on the road, once you get on there’s only 1 exit slip at godmanchester, the theroy being less exit entries means less accidents, so if there’s a prang your stuck on the road, also they are talking of weight activated cameras on the Huntingdon exit when they remove the old bridge, to stop hgv from going through Huntingdon if new A14 is closed, and when that’s all finished there’s talk of a duel carrigeway from A1 black cat up to caxton gibbet,. They are also looking to build A1m from baldock up to Brampton hut.

Noticed yesterday the overnight closures have moved South - now J31 - 34 instead of 24 - 31.
Guess that’s progress.

This should have been done years ago, 2 lanes of M11 plus 2 lanes of A14 into 2 lanes equals chaos and it has been.

waddy640:
This should have been done years ago, 2 lanes of M11 plus 2 lanes of A14 into 2 lanes equals chaos and it has been.

When the A14 from brampton–to the M6 was first muted, and they did the traffic surveys, these were conducted during the summer holidays during a 4week period in August, the survey people were sat in the cafe that use to be at bythorn,… Hence the low traffic predicted.