Get ready for 4 years of roadworks on A14

They’ve been given the go ahead to improve the A14 around Huntingdon/Cambridge area.

Should’ve been done YEARS ago as that section is always at a crawl. But says here it’s no expected to be finished til 2020! Add another year to that at least I reckon.

So yeah, get ready for lots of 40mph average speed (they seem to like 40 more than 50 now).

Probably explains why they haven’t been fixing that stretch of central reservation that’s been broken for months.

The work needs doing, but 4 years of disruption is going to be a pain, and at the end of it will it really solve anything? Therell be more traffic in the road by then and Felixstowe is only getting bigger (rumours around here of the cranes going fully electric and them building their own substation on site to power it, also rumours of building another dock section and expand its capacity)

peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news … -1-7377291

No doubt they will shut the entire 21 miles down for the whole 4 years, rather than 5 mile sections a year at a time, which is all they ever work on anyway. I’m sure they only shut so much down as they know it frustrates people and encourages speeding, which they can use as a cash cow to draw some of the spending back

I tend to use my head and when the A14 is crawling and I am going to FXTO then I go A1/A428/A14

It is 30 miles instead of 19 but it moves freely.

Google shows it as taking 33 minutes instead of 20, but that is on a clear run, and how often do you get one of them?

Probably best taking that route to avoid the roadworks all together.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, I lived in Huntingdon 2002-04, and there were plans to have the A14 upgraded by 2009 back then…

They’ve only just finished that stretch near cambridge/M11. That took them long enough.

OVLOV JAY:
No doubt they will shut the entire 21 miles down for the whole 4 years, rather than 5 mile sections a year at a time, which is all they ever work on anyway. I’m sure they only shut so much down as they know it frustrates people and encourages speeding, which they can use as a cash cow to draw some of the spending back

You do know that they are actually building a new A14 and not improving/widening the existing carraigways entire length from the A1 to Cambridge.

image.jpg

Can’t stand that piece of road. Far too much traffic. I hate having to get on that road from either the services or one of the tiny slip roads.

Hammy747:
Felixstowe is only getting bigger (rumours around here of the cranes going fully electric and them building their own substation on site to power it, also rumours of building another dock section and expand its capacity)

That’s brilliant, in high winds this winter a load of boxes fell on a section of the electric feed rail, crushing it, and putting that row out off action for days until they’d repaired it, doesn’t seem to have put them off then :smiley: