A14 expansion

been approved today for the upgrade of the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge. It will also include a toll, which will be £11 for LGVs. The roads around the upgraded part are going to be weight restricted to ensure that lorries stay on the A14 and use the toll, but cars etc can go round. For some firms thats an extra £22 per day, £110 a week. Nothing like trying to help the industry really is there?
Reported on Anglia news tonight

We have motors doing 2 trunks to Peterborough on nights from Felixstowe ouch :open_mouth:

I think the A421 will be extra busy, and that cant be weight limited, and Cambridge to Cathorpe via St Neots-Bedford-J13 M1 is only 12 miles further than the Cambridge to Cathorpe via the A14, no brainer :wink:

When are these Politicians going to think before they wreck our country, oh silly me, brain bypass first requisit of a Politician :unamused:

Honestly dont think they’ll get away with charging lorries 11quid… Simple as that… When are they ment to be starting work then?

And i agree eddie, the 421 will become a very busy road, it can be slow now sometimes, let alone when they toll the 14.

planned to start in 2018 according to reports. Although local buisneses have critised the lack of commitment to fund the project and they “fear” the project may not happen. The pricing has already been announced

So all they are doing is once again shifting traffic congestion onto another road and not actually solving the congestion problem. Tolling the A14, Jesus Christ it will be a nightmare.
Haven’t they got bigger fish to fry at the Catthorpe interchange first, sort that joke out.

Correction, planned for 2016.

WORK to start upgrading the A14 between Huntingdon to Cambridge will start in 2016, it has been announced.

Danny Alexander, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, revealed the £1.5billion project was part of the Government’s plans to spend £300b on infrastructure as part of the spending round.

Further details of a route or breakdown in funding were not announced.

Mr Alexander told the House of Commons today (Thursday): “We will deliver all of the major projects in the Highways Agency Pipeline.

“We will add two lanes to the busiest motorways — bringing another 221 lane miles to our road network.

“It will see us tackle some of the most congested parts of our network.

“Like the £1.5 billion A14 scheme between Huntingdon and Cambridge.

“This is a scheme of strategic national importance, which will unlock jobs, housing and growth in the region, as well as providing key relief for a major freight route.

“And I am delighted to announce that we will be bringing forward the start of construction by almost 2 years, to 2016.”

Huntingdon MP Jonathan Djanogly welcomed the announcement in the House, and asked the Chief Secretary for a breakdown on the funding.

Mr Alexander told him that The Department for Transport will release a statement in due course.

Hopefully they’ll use that money to build actual roads instead of just resurfacing hardshoulders and adding a few speed cameras.

No doubt they’ll toll the 14 then sell it off to the france or some other country :unamused:

Surely it would make more sense to convert the A14 to motorway status rather than ■■■■■ footing about with toll roads, but I suppose cost and potential revenue is the deciding issue in favour of a toll road.

Hate to say it but I predicted this and the toll some time ago and it wont be the last stretch of road to receive the same treatment, to much money to be made and as usual the industry will accept it like they always do, the rumbling noise you can hear is the RHA and FTA rolling over onto their backs or moving the chairs so they can bend over and get shafted again.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Don’t forget there is a general election between now and then so don’t hold your breath. The A14 also needs a flyover from the end of the M6 but that will never happen either.

The original plan was to build a new link which would be tolled, and leave the existing A14 as it is, if so it will end up as a white elephant just like the M6 toll road.

tachograph:
Surely it would make more sense to convert the A14 to motorway status rather than ■■■■■ footing about with toll roads, but I suppose cost and potential revenue is the deciding issue in favour of a toll road.

I dont think that upgrading to motorway is allways the only answer, you can add another lane or 2, more split level junctions and improved layby’s or parking areas like on the A46 between Newark and Lincoln, leading to improved traffic flow (which would be totaly (zb’d) by a toll plazza), and keep it A class without the need for a hardshoulder and expence incurred with that. :wink:

Akuji:
I’ll believe it when I see it. Don’t forget there is a general election between now and then so don’t hold your breath. The A14 also needs a flyover from the end of the M6 but that will never happen either.

Exactly. This assumes that the same lot will still be in charge to start it. I doubt that they will but the other lot say they will honour what this lot are doing fiscally when it’s their ‘turn’ to shaft us all.

Dream on!

So the plan is …build a new road ,using TAXPAYERS MONEY…then like the M6 Toll,charge the TAXPAYERS who paid for it ,to use it…shafted again

Thought the M6 toll was privately funded?

Funny how these hundred billion pounds of “infrastructure” upgrades are all going to take place after the next general election aint it?

And where is this money going to magicaly appear from?
That sob Osbourne tells us that he is going to have to raise another 10 billion in tax revenues just to stop the UK going bloody bankrupt.

About time the people of this country realised that these inept public school boys have about as much idea about running a country as nothing.How come this high speed rail link has risen in cost by 10 billion and they havent even started building the bloody thing yet.
Couldnt be “consultants” fees and back handers could it?

These [zb] are [zb] over the British people with the wide end of a ragmans trumpet!

kjw21:

It was, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a good rant. :slight_smile:

bluenose:

kjw21:

It was, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a good rant. :slight_smile:

Didnt know that …but felt better after me rant

zeddman:
So the plan is …build a new road ,using TAXPAYERS MONEY…then like the M6 Toll,charge the TAXPAYERS who paid for it ,to use it…shafted again

And what do we TAXPAYERS do■■?

Bend over and take the shafting. You only have yourself to BLAME!!!

The M6 toll road was privately funded the only problem is they havnt paid for it yet, its owned by an Australian holding company who are trying to get out because it hasn’t achieved the turnover that was predicted.