A14 expansion

norfolk:
The M6 toll road was privately funded the only problem is they havnt paid for it yet, its owned by an Australian holding company who are trying to get out because it hasn’t achieved the turnover that was predicted.

If they lower the price it would work. Look at Dartford, £5 for a lorry. Your going to pay that just to avoid doing an extra 2 hours drive to avoid the Bridge and I would pay £5 just to avoid the old M6

I read on the BBC this week that they’re making the A14 toll £2 for HGVs and £1 for cars to discourage people from avoiding it.

And all toll roads should banned. Congestion costs billions and the government need to come to terms with the fact that the majority of people won’t pay £11 to use a road.

Stuff HS2, build a proper road network, something everyone can make use of on a daily basis.

As far as I’m concerned (biased because of my location), they need to do two things…

1. Upgrade the A605/A47 (the awful Thrapston - Gt Yarmouth trunk road) to dual carriageway, the entire way.

2. Sort Catthorpe out. What a ridiculous junction to manage the joining of three of the busiest roads in the country!

After this thread was started and reading the BBC article, I took the trouble of Email my MP about tolling this route, anyway I’ve now had a response from Stephen Hmmond MP Under Secretary of State at the DFT. not bad, beens how it was the back end of june when I first emailed my MP, who is usually quite quick himself :unamused:

I thought I’d copy a couple off paragraphs that might be intrest. that’l be the words in bold, for the hard off thinking :wink:

The Government has always said that it will consider tolling as an option for funding new road capacity where schemes deliver new roads or transform an existing road into a new route beyond all recognition. We consider the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon is one such scheme and given the expense, it is fair that users meet some off the costs alongside general taxation

I would have thought that the amount levied on road users through fuel duty, and vehicle excise duty would be far more than an adequat contribution to the cost of this road. The rail fares that have just been put up, still only cover 2 thirds of the cost of the journey that any particular passenger makes, the rest is covered through general taxation via a subsidy :unamused:

Regarding the approach to tolling, the Highways Agency’s research for this scheme has been based on a tolling cost in the range of £2 to £4 per Heavy Goods Vehicle. Consideration is also being given as to whether a toll should be applied for 24-hours or between 6am and 10pm.

Well I suppose it’ll be another Tag in the window, but its the slipery slope :unamused:

A public engagement activity is currently being planned for September this year regarding the considered options for the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme and details will be available on the Highways Agency website shortly.

I think I might do a bit of engaging :wink:

I hope this will have been off some intrest

There’s a huge problem here, a constantly increasing population driven mainly by immigration which none of the three main parties have any intention of slowing, the population’s needs have to be serviced, yes the A14 needs improving, it has to provide a route for imported rubbish, more warehouses will be needed along that corridor to store and distribute that mostly Chinese rubbish, and more housing to accomodate ever more Eastern European workers who will staff them.

The biggest problem though is you the voter, it doesn’t matter what they the government do, you still in your millions vote for those same three corrupt parties who are committed to non stop immigration because they are committed to EU membership despite false flag promises of referenda.

When you grow a pair and stop voting for more of the same, then things will change.

Or do the other thing, vote exactly as you always do for the same three parties yet again, and watch your country slide further round the U bend sinking under a constantly increasing population/traffic/regulations/taxation.

Look in the mirror for who to blame for whats happened so far, we as the electorate get the government we deserve, you can change that but you have to think independantly first and the first move to independent thought is to stop reading watching and listening to state propaganda.

I don’t t know if I have been really lucky, or just on it at the right times. I can only think of one time I have been stuck in traffic on the A14. I use that stretch on average 4 times a week, I think there are far, far worse areas for traffic problems that need addressing. I can see it costing my employers 100’s of 1000’s a year. We must do 100’s of trips a day in one direction or another on that road, as the Soham depot is right near it and our depot uses it a lot too. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

There is an easy way to solve the probs. of the busy A14.Don’t use it regularly but I had a good look last week and widening is a fairly simple matter. Starting either end the
central reservation is fully utilised by the use of a concrete barrier,not the monstrosity they are building on the M25,this should offer enough space to add a third lane with
emergency parking areas.Now this isn’t any great deal,I and I am sure others who travelled the route would have been impressed by the increase of the French AutoRoute
between Langres and Dijon, 110 k’s in each direction,two lanes into three utilising the centre reservation.This project was for three years but was completed in 18months
and since I travelled that route in each direction weekly I remain baffled how they did it.Not one speed camera and I have seen more machinery on a small section of the M25
than I ever did on the full length of this French project.I have long believed that the Fraud Squad should consider investigating the relationship between the Highways Agency
and Contractors, our road network is a disgrace and even new surfaces within days begin to disintegrate.And Consultants are being paid great sums to offer advice,who but a
lorry driver,viewing our road network from a great height, is better placed to offer advice how to improve our network.All lorry drivers are road experts,we eat,sleep and
wotsit on them,so why don’t these people ask for OUR advice.And Juddian…spot on.