The licence, the entitlement, does it expire?

?
I know that the medical expires, but does the actual entitlement to drive a HGV expire?
This has to do with my ongoing battle with DVLA…
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156192&start=60#p2525152

I think it expires after 10 years if not renewed, within that time scale all you need is a valid medical certificate for renewal (but don’t quote me on that :slight_smile: )

Thanks raymundo.
■■■■, that doesn’t help my case.

wait…wait…
surreyandhampshirehgvtraini … v-licence/
Your existing licence will only expire if you do not complete your medical standards test when you reach the age of 45 or if you miss one of the obligatory medicals; it’s mandatory that all HGV drivers undertake a medical once every five years. If you do lose your entitlement to your licence through one of these causes, however, you simply have to complete a medical and send off for your licence again. Under the current rules, the DVLA will issue you another licence as there is no time limit.

Ok, back on track. :slight_smile:

Oh well that’s news to me, like I said …don’t quote me …lol

This old thread might be of interest to you:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79470&hilit=renew

I have come back to truck driving after 13 years out of the game and had assumed that as my C+E and PCV clarifications had disappeared of the back of my license I had lost them. However after someone said that this was not true they were my licences and all I would have to do was take my medical and send the completed form to the DVLA they would be reinstated.
After a phone call to the DVLA this was confirmed so I took my medical and one week later after sending my licence and the completed forms to them received my licence with both classifications reinstated and I am now back on the road truck driving.
Hope this info from a recent experience helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Once a test has been passed it will remain valid unless it is suspended due to lack of a medical or the law revokes it
If the computer record for a category is not there then the driver is in real trouble because the authorities only seem to go by that

I left an 18 year gap between getting provisional and medical, and taking actual test.

Took medical in 2000, it was still valid a few months ago when I booked in for test!

When I retired 7 years ago I run my licence out,as I understand it I can put it back into action at any time providing I meet the required medical etc etc

Problems arise if the old HGV was gained before the mid 80s because those records were not put on computer so if a driver let it lapse then getting it back is virtually impossible after about 35 years+

Thank you, all, for some brilliant information here.

This is another step in my battle with DVLA to reclaim my entitlement to Class 2. Link is in my first post.

What DVLA are now saying is that because I didn’t transfer/convert my Class 2 to the new system by 1st April 1986 then my entitlement was then considered to be invalid.

Lawyers advice is that, because I was never notified of the change, and I have done nothing to invalidate my Class 2, then I have the right to reclaim it regardless of what the DVLA says. And, she says, DVLA seem to be misusing/ wrongly applying their powers. Because, as we now know, the entitlement itself does not just “Expire”

Next step, back to my MPs aides email, send em this latest letter, then apply for a ruling by Parliamentary Ombudsman (only available through your MP) then after that maybe a judicial review.

I’m not done, not by a long way.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

ROG:
Problems arise if the old HGV was gained before the mid 80s because those records were not put on computer so if a driver let it lapse then getting it back is virtually impossible after about 35 years+

ROG i think your looking at the extreme scenario,as that would make them at least 56 I don`t think after that length of time somebody will want the hassle of Medical and DCPC and Digi card
IF it did happen surely it would have been added on his or her photo licence card as not many these days have the old green paper licence or brown book type,but I have been wrong before if I am I stand corrected

Duuuude, I’m 61!
Passed Class 2 in December '76 :sunglasses:
Fitter, healthier, stronger, badder attitude, still raring to go :smiling_imp:

When I decided to go back to driving in the 90s my licence had expired over 10 years earlier. I phoned Swansea and they said that if I still had my old pasteboard licence, I could send that in with a medical and they would issue me with a new card. The point was, that there was no other record, apart from my licence, that proved that I was entitled/had passed my test.

I duly sent it off and the card arrived a week or so later.

I hear ya Santa.
And that’s the point, I have no record, no old cardboard licence. But, I STILL passed my test in '76, and i STILL have an entitlement to drive class 2.
They can’t just revoke my licence because I didn’t join in with their move from one system to another.
Just gotta make DVLA see that. :slight_smile:

steviespain:
I hear ya Santa.
And that’s the point, I have no record, no old cardboard licence. But, I STILL passed my test in '76, and i STILL have an entitlement to drive class 2.
They can’t just revoke my licence because I didn’t join in with their move from one system to another.

While I agree with you on that, does the burden of proof lie with you to be able to show the DVLA you have passed?

njl:

steviespain:
I hear ya Santa.

While I agree with you on that, does the burden of proof lie with you to be able to show the DVLA you have passed?

I showed em a document, provided by the army, that I passed Class 2 in '76.

It’s not about the pass anymore, it’s about the changeover of record keeping in 86, and the fact that, because I didn’t receive notification and didn’t change over to the new system, they revoked my licence. They don’t have the legal right to do that.

DVLA are saying that they accept that I did, indeed, pass my class 2 in Dec '76.
They are reusing to re-issue my licence because I did not change my licence over to the new system of record keeping which happened in 86.

I did not receive notification of this new system and of the fact that I needed to change over.

Just because I did not change my licence over to the new system does not mean that I am not entitled to drive Class 2.

DVLA are constantly having their methods overturned by the courts , similar to many local authorities they make rulings up to suit themselves and think that this is now the law .
So far I have heard of 3 major events that the DVLA have lost either via court cases or via judicial review .
This is another case that the DVLA in the course of time will have to introduce major changes to its policy.
I keep hearing of major rumblings about the use of private companies and ANPR systems .
Certain local authorities have been in trouble over ANPR misuse.
If the OP has proof of original entitlement then it will eventually happen , without it you are going to be on a sticky wicket .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk