"new" driver with 15 yrs experience

Hello folks,
I am new to this forum so be kind!!!
I am about to take my Class1 or I should say retake, I was a Class1 for 10+ yrs with Smiths Crisps, took redundancy and changed job direction. So now I am returning to driving, but as I let my license lapse I have to start again. My question is…
Do my many years of class1 experience count for anything when I apply for a job?

Mike.

Hello Mike and welcome to the board

It might be an idea to contact DVLA on 0300 790 6801 quoting your licence number. Just last week we were contacted by someone whole licence expired 11 years ago. The DVLA informed him that he only needed a LGV medical to renew it.

Before replying to your post I called the DVLA this morning and was told that there is no time limit at all for renewing the licence. You need a medical every 5 years from age 45 then every year from 65.

You can book a medical with any doctor or with one of the medical companies. There is a charge for the medical but you should be able to find one for around £50.

Hope this helps

Welcome to Trucknet-UK mkb600 :wink:

Your HGV entitlement never expires, as LGVTrainer said you will just have to have a medical and will then be able to renew your HGV entitlement on your license.

I can’t remember exactly how long it was but I let mine lapse for over ten years and had no problem renewing it.

As far as experience is concerned I suppose it depends to some extent on how long ago you last drove HGVs, I was off the lorries for over twenty years and had no problems getting back, but that was a few years ago when there was more work about.

I would think most employers/agencies who ask for experience would probably prefer recent experience but would still look on your past experience with favour, without knowing how long you was off the HGVs it’s difficult to answer that question.

Here are some links that may help :wink:

HGV medical form information (PDF file)

HGV medical form (PDF file)

Renewing your driving licence entitlement for larger vehicles

Gosh,
A BIG thank you to LGVTrainer for the info.
I have just spoken to the DVLA (after going round in circles on the “press button 1,2,3” merry go round!) and they confirm that I can just apply for the license despite the fact it expired in 1991, I will need a medical but no probs there, enclose photo for the new license and Bobs your uncle. Also apply for Digicard at the same time and all should look brighter. Spoken to a couple of agencies who tell me that my experience does count for me.
So one post on here has saved me £2000 in Training fees. I now need to contact the “Trainers” who informed me that I NEED to take the test again due to the expiry of license. That will be an interesting conversation. I will keep you posted of their comments.
So thanks again to LGVTrainer and Tachograph for the VERY useful information.

Regards,
Mike.

Last question…
Will I need to do a CPC before working?

Mike

mkb600:
Last question…

Mike

NO

You have what is termed as aquired/grandfather rights for the Driver CPC (DCPC) which means you need to complete 35 hours of DCPC Periodic training before 09/09/2014 in order to continue driving LGVs commercially after that date

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40314 - that might help explain it

mkb600:
Last question…

Mike

No, you will however need to do 35 hours periodic training before September 10th 2014.

tachograph:
I can’t remember exactly how long it was but I let mine lapse for over ten years and had no problem renewing it.

Anyone who passed after 1984 can just pass the D4 medical and get it back

Pre 1984 the problem is records because DVLA only had paper records before that

ROG:

tachograph:

Anyone who passed after 1984 can just pass the D4 medical and get it back

I passed the class 1 in the early 70s and left the industry before 1984 but still had no problem getting my HGV entitlement back over twenty years later.

ROG:

1984 when it became computerised, I thought it was later than that to be honest, but I’ll take your word for it :wink:

How long has everything been at Swansea, any idea ?

tachograph:
I passed the class 1 in the early 70s and left the industry before 1984 but still had no problem getting my HGV entitlement back over twenty years later.

As you proved, it was not impossible but it can be

I came off the road in '86 and was doing another job for 18 years before I retired at 60,but I kept my licence valid by having the medical every time it came up.
A couple of weeks after retiring,I went down to a local agency and they accepted my experience,as long ago as it was,and found me a class 1 job within a day or two.
I was apprehensive for all of 5 minutes,but it’s just like riding a bike,I dropped straight back into it and I’ve been at it now for 9 years.

mkb600:
Gosh,
I have just spoken to the DVLA (after going round in circles on the “press button 1,2,3” merry go round!) and they confirm that I can just apply for the license despite the fact it expired in 1991, I will need a medical but no probs there, enclose photo for the new license and Bobs your uncle. Also apply for Digicard at the same time and all should look brighter. Spoken to a couple of agencies who tell me that my experience does count for me.
So one post on here has saved me £2000 in Training fees. I now need to contact the “Trainers” who informed me that I NEED to take the test again due to the expiry of license. That will be an interesting conversation. I will keep you posted of their comments.

Regards,
Mike.

And maybe name those trainers on here too…as well as coming to the trucknet bash and putting that 2 grand to good use behind the bar :grimacing:

ShropsBri:

mkb600:
Gosh,

Regards,
Mike.

And maybe name those trainers on here too…as well as coming to the trucknet bash and putting that 2 grand to good use behind the bar :grimacing:

Not behind the bar his wallet can be raped for the money for charity much better idea as they could do with it

BTW you will find there have been a lot of changes in the 15years you have been away ie pay has dropped a lot the average is £7.50 ph Cat CE ( old class 1 )

I spoke to 5 or 6 “Training providers” and explained to every one that I had held a licence in the 90’s, all told me that I needed to retrain and retake everything from scratch. Did they all make an honest mistake, or is there something nefarious going on■■?

Low pay…
I know of a number of companies that have sacked their English drivers for the most minor and flimsy of reasons, and employed Polish lads who will work for less, and complain less about it!

mkb600:
I spoke to 5 or 6 “Training providers” and explained to every one that I had held a licence in the 90’s, all told me that I needed to retrain and retake everything from scratch. Did they all make an honest mistake, or is there something nefarious going on■■?

Probably an honest mistake… Although times are hard for a lot of trainers and they may have just been trying to make a few quid.

Low pay…
I know of a number of companies that have sacked their English drivers for the most minor and flimsy of reasons, and employed Polish lads who will work for less, and complain less about it!

Unfortunately that seems to be the way it is going in every industry, not just lorry drivers.

mkb600:

They would not be able to book you a DSA LGV test because the system will not allow it as you already passed it

ROG:

mkb600:

They would not be able to book you a DSA LGV test because the system will not allow it as you already passed it

That could have been an “interesting moment in the office”, how would that have panned out…

mkb600:

ROG:

mkb600:

That could have been an “interesting moment in the office”, how would that have panned out…

Our mistake , sorry, here is your money back, :laughing:

always worries me when i speak 2 someone who should know the finer points but turns out they dont !!glasgow dvla office staff took £20 from me recently re getting points off my licence at renewal, 3 wks later, cheque 4 £20 from dvla swansea arrives at my home! i know they are hellish busy but…!when i go on shift (agency)and T.M. says "can u drive …that vehicle ?"hey , i KNOW I CAN , COS THATS WHY I AM EMPLOYED 4 THE SHIFT >SORRY 4 RANT…BUT…! U SEE MY POINT ?