Licence has expired

Hi ,Sorry if this is an old story but any up to date advice would be appreciated. I had my class one medical form for renewal of entitlement ,but decided in error that i would not be driving again, this was 3 years ago . As i now regret this decision i need to know how the reapplication would go down with the DVLA .I have tried to contact them twice this week (press 1 for this press 3 for that, only to be cut off after this going on for ages.Thanking you Mike.

Take your medical and send it off with the licence renewal form and you will get your licence back with your entitlement back. Provided you pass the medical then it won’t even raise an eyebrow with the DVLA. There does appear to be a back log with processing medicals at the moment according to several reports on here.

Coffeeholic:
Take your medical and send it off with the licence renewal form and you will get your licence back with your entitlement back. Provided you pass the medical then it won’t even raise an eyebrow with the DVLA. There does appear to be a back log with processing medicals at the moment according to several reports on here.

Many thanks my friend i will give it a go.

I let mine go for over 10 years and had no problem renewing it so you won’t have a problem after just three years.

tachograph:
I let mine go for over 10 years and had no problem renewing it so you won’t have a problem after just three years.

Thank you i thought it was all over!

You never fully lose the HGV entitlement unless you’re suspended/banned it’s only the medical that expires :wink:

Cheap medicals here

Just checking mine. I have the 10 year photo thing runs out in September 2010 which is £20 plus the photo. but the C+E entitlement runs until November 2010. Is it going to cost me twice? I have sorted a “ahem” medical out for £25.

Do I just do the car entitlement as I am unable to drive lorries at the moment, but this is not permanent, (hopefully) Just hate the thought of giving DVLA a bonus, especially as my digital card also expires in April 2011

Wheel Nut:
Just checking mine. I have the 10 year photo thing runs out in September 2010 which is £20 plus the photo. but the C+E entitlement runs until November 2010. Is it going to cost me twice? I have sorted a “ahem” medical out for £25.

Do I just do the car entitlement as I am unable to drive lorries at the moment, but this is not permanent, (hopefully) Just hate the thought of giving DVLA a bonus, especially as my digital card also expires in April 2011

You only have to pay for the photo renewal (£20), the license renewal or the HGV entitlement renewal is free.
When you renew the HGV entitlement they use the existing photo off your license so no new photo is required.

I can’t seem to find how long in advance you can renew the HGV entitlement, the doctors signature on the medical form D4 is good for 4 months so you may be able to renew the HGV entitlement at the same time as the photo.

tachograph:

Wheel Nut:

You only have to pay for the photo renewal (£20), the license renewal or the HGV entitlement renewal is free.
When you renew the HGV entitlement they use the existing photo off your license so no new photo is required.

I can’t seem to find how long in advance you can renew the HGV entitlement, the doctors signature on the medical form D4 is good for 4 months so you may be able to renew the HGV entitlement at the same time as the photo.

Thanks for that, Tacho. That’s what I was looking for and it seems to be the easiest way… Cheers

tachograph:
You never fully lose the HGV entitlement unless you’re suspended/banned it’s only the medical that expires :wink:

Cheap medicals here

Thanks Tacho, Once i decided it was a bad idea not to renew ,it felt like losing a lottery ticket.

Just a note to all who posted advice to say thanks ,And to confirm i filled in the application and had medical £85.00 and license received back within 6 days .Happy Days .

givover:
Just a note to all who posted advice to say thanks ,And to confirm i filled in the application and had medical £85.00 and license received back within 6 days .Happy Days .

6 days :smiley:

You were lucky because apparently there was a backlog at DVLA where license renewals are concerned, looks like they may have caught up :smiley:

tachograph:

Cheap medicals here

I was once about 6 years without a licence. And I changed jobs 3 times during the period without any bother other than the prospective employers ringing Swansea to check.

But as it happens, my renewal notice has just popped through the letter box and it says that if I don’t renew, I give up the right to drive :open_mouth:

Or is that because I’m rapidly approaching Oldfartdom ■■?

dambuster:
I was once about 6 years without a licence. And I changed jobs 3 times during the period without any bother other than the prospective employers ringing Swansea to check.

But as it happens, my renewal notice has just popped through the letter box and it says that if I don’t renew, I give up the right to drive :open_mouth:

Or is that because I’m rapidly approaching Oldfartdom ■■?

Yes :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

As far as I can remember you don’t have to renew the license because the medical has expired until you’re 45 then every 5 years :wink: